The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 06:41 AM

Default Recommendation for a "leave out on the stand" acoustic

I have two Martins that I keep in their cases and humidified. I'm considering getting an inexpensive guitar - a "beater", if you will - that I can leave out on the stand and not worry about it. There's something to be said for having an instrument always at the ready, or one I can leave in another part of the house, or something I can take out by the fire pit or whatever.

I realize a carbon fiber guitar would be ideal for this. I owned a Rainsong for a while and it was great. But that's way above what I'm looking to spend.

My first thought is one of those all-HPL Marin X series (used). I haven't tried one. I'm not looking for Collings-quality tone or playability, but I want something that's at least decent.

What are some other choices I should be considering?

I'm assuming that anything with a solid top is out of the running because even with lam back/sides it would still be susceptible to dryness.

Last edited by geewhiz; 02-15-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Something from the base Alvarez series. It used to be the Regent series not sure if it is still named that.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 02-15-2020, 07:39 AM

E1 or E2 Eastman?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Default Out and Accessible Guitar

I have one now that is a Gretsch Jim Dandy I picked up on sale. Wednesday, I ordered on of MF Stupid Deal, a Martin LXME. I'll probably rotate those on the stand in the living room.

My "good" guitar does live in the humidified case right next to the stand so it is still accessible but humidified and protected more from accidental bumps (I have a 4-year old daughter and a 10 year old Corgi--both a little clumsy)

I find many times I start picking something out on the Gretsch and end up getting the dread out to work through some more of the song.

If you can control humidity enough and don't have a great deal of risky behavior, even a solid wood guitar can be a stand guitar.

- Matt
Old 02-15-2020, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I can't imagine doing better than the Eastman E2D-CD (Cedar/Sapele) all solid dread for $509. They also make an OM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPjMbq3VcHw

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-15-2020, 08:32 AM

I have a Rainsong CH-PA parlor for this very reason. It’s out on a stand all the time, year-round. I take it on trips and don’t worry about it banging around. I’ve left it in a car trunk in the summertime for three days, no problem. Beach? Yep. It’s about as worry-free as you get.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I can't imagine doing better than the Eastman E2D-CD (Cedar/Sapele) all solid dread for $509. They also make an OM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPjMbq3VcHw
I would think that anything all solid or with a solid top left unhumidified is just asking for problems. I live in the very dry northeast (US).

I'm looking for budget friendly laminate recommendations
Old 02-15-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
I have two Martins that I keep in their cases and humidified. I'm considering getting an inexpensive guitar - a "beater", if you will - that I can leave out on the stand and not worry about it. There's something to be said for having an instrument always at the ready, or one I can leave in another part of the house, or something I can take out by the fire pit or whatever.

I realize a carbon fiber guitar would be ideal for this. I owned a Rainsong for a while and it was great. But that's way above what I'm looking to spend.

My first thought is one of those all-HPL Marin X series (used). I haven't tried one. I'm not looking for Collings-quality tone or playability, but I want something that's at least decent.

What are some other choices I should be considering?

I'm assuming that anything with a solid top is out of the running because even with lam back/sides it would still be susceptible to dryness.
Not knowing what your budget is, I'd suggest either a Taylor GS Mini (preferably mahogany) or a Taylor Academy series (preferably the Grand Concert style...). Play both and base your choice on how you feel about the scale length of the two choices.

Other than the solid tops there's not a lot of risk involved with those two, and you can always stick a sound hole humidifier in add a bit of humidity when you're not playing.

There's a downside, though. You might find that your Martins will get considerably less play time.

You can find a lot of lower priced couch guitars, but you'll also most likely find that they simply don't inspire you to pick them up and play them. I've tried several of the usually recommended lower priced guitars and they simply induced a "meh..." feeling when playing them.

If a guitar doesn't sound good it isn't going to encourage you to pick it up and play, and that's what a good couch guitar is all about.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:49 AM

Default Pat Metheny's stand guitar is an...

...Ovation!

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 02-15-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
...Ovation!

Normally my first reaction would be to say "I don't care for Ovations at all", but when you post a picture of one of my all-time favorite musicians playing one it's hard to argue with that. But man, they just don't sound good to me when they're not plugged in.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Seagull S6
Martin 000-15SM
Eastman or Alvarez
Old 02-15-2020, 08:56 AM

I keep an Ibanez AVN1 on a stand. I bought it for several reasons. I wanted to try a 12 fret guitar, I wanted something that I didn't mind playing out in the sun, no great loss if the dog or a grandkid knocks it over. Our house generally stays about 45% humidity in the winter, never gets below 40%. I bought it used for a couple hundred dollars. No problems and its the one I pick up if I only have 5 minutes while waiting to go somewhere.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
I would think that anything all solid or with a solid top left unhumidified is just asking for problems. I live in the very dry northeast (US).

I'm looking for budget friendly laminate recommendations
Sorry....I didn't read the last line of your opening post? I have the opposite problem in the coastal southeast. Carbon fiber is a no brainer but I'm not a fan either? You could maybe kill two birds with one stone if you got a Voyage-Air all laminate travel guitar. I have their basic model all laminate VA-OM2 which is a folding full size OM. Sounds good for what it is and travels like a champ. Just a thought? Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I think one of the all HPL Martin's will give you just what you're looking for. They get surprising tone out of a guitar body with no wood. No it's not going to sound as good as your high end Martin, but it is going to sound like it's in the Maritn family.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:23 AM

I haven’t played one, but the Yamaha F335 is all-laminate and would come in at a really low price, especially with a holiday promo.

That said, the FG800 has a solid top and scalloped bracing for not much more — it’s a wonderful guitar that punches far above its price range.

If the guitar was going to be in my home rather than a location where I might not be able to maintain it well, I’d probably rather have a better-sounding solid-top guitar and the inconvenience of a few latches and some sort of humidifier than a laminate guitar on a stand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion