The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
Is it the width or the depth or both that bothers you with a dread?
If it's the body depth, something with 000 depth but a wider bout might get you where you want to be - Martin's 0000/M size or Santa Cruz OM Grand, for example. I solved a similar dilemma for myself by getting a small jumbo--roughly based on a Gibson J-185--that was built with a shallower body depth than that body style usually has.
If you don't want a wider lower bout but don't mind depth, on the other hand, maybe you'd like a deep-bodied OM. Collings and Bourgeois both have some; I'm sure there are others.
If you don't want anything bigger than 000 in either width or depth, then a 12-fret might help.
All good considerations. Out of curiosity, I went on line and discovered that there is precious little dimensional difference between the Slope D and Larrive 000, despite how different they feel.
Slope D: Upper bout - 11 3/8"
Lower bout - 15 3/16"
Waist - 10.25"
Depth - 4 7/8"

Larrivee 000: Upper bout - 11.125
Lower bout 15.374"
Waist 9.375"
Depth 4.5"
The minor differences in the dimensions has left me scratching my head. The Bourgeois feels noticeably larger in the hand, but is just modestly so on paper. I think I have to spend a bit of time holding each of them with my eyes closed to get a sens of why the numbers do not translate to the feeling.
Appreciate all the responses.
David
Old 02-14-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
The minor differences in the dimensions has left me scratching my head. The Bourgeois feels noticeably larger in the hand, but is just modestly so on paper. I think I have to spend a bit of time holding each of them with my eyes closed to get a sens of why the numbers do not translate to the feeling.
Appreciate all the responses.
David
The size in measurements and the perceived size don't necessarily have to correspond as the body shape contributes a lot both to the actual volume as well as to perception. Unfortunately volume in liters is not usually provided by the specs. As others have mentioned for big sound you need big volume + long scale. So if you can get a longer scale where you can use thicker strings on a smaller body that might be a compromise. Position of the bridge can also have an impact, where 12-fretters with a bridge positioned close to the middle between soundhole and bottom will provide more oomph.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
The size in measurements and the perceived size don't necessarily have to correspond as the body shape contributes a lot both to the actual volume as well as to perception. Unfortunately volume in liters is not usually provided by the specs. As others have mentioned for big sound you need big volume + long scale. So if you can get a longer scale where you can use thicker strings on a smaller body that might be a compromise. Position of the bridge can also have an impact, where 12-fretters with a bridge positioned close to the middle between soundhole and bottom will provide more oomph.
Good observation. It did not occur to me that the geometry of the box has to be considered as well. BTW, both the Larrivee and Bourgeois are 12 fret, long scale.
Cheers.
David
Old 02-14-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

I went through a similar search recently and ended up with a Santa Cruz OM/PW. It’s the most ‘dreadnought sounding’ OM I have ever played. It’s loud and has plenty of bass, and handles a pick quite well. I highly recommend checking one out if you can.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 02-14-2020, 03:34 PM

Since you already like Larrivees, you might want to try one of their L-series. They really aren't much smaller than a dread, but are far more comfy to hold & play, and sacrifice very little in terms of physical volume of the body.

They're pretty much JCL's signature body style, for very good reason.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 02-14-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Martin's 00015SM meets your criteria....

It sounds like the demo’d guitar is a 0015SM. But title says 00015SM
It sure sounds sweet.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Wilborn Arum

My new Arum built by Ben Wilborn certainly punches much higher than its weight class and has amazing bass projection and presence.

You can check it out here played by Ben himself...

Good luck with your quest!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-14-2020, 04:34 PM

I think it's hard to beat a rosewood OM for big sound smaller body. The long scale gives it more projection and authority, the rosewood give it complexity of sound. And they are very comfortable.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 02-14-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

+1 on the Goodall Parlor!
Composite Acoustics GX Aura
Takamine TAN77
--------------------------------------------------
Old 02-14-2020, 04:49 PM

Another vote for the rosewood OM, specifically Martin or similarly voiced (deep bass) - it may take time to cultivate its sweet spots, but I have learned not to go with any soundbox deeper than 4 1/8” at the endpin as the Martin 000 provides clarity, colour, and immediacy with no boom. I’ve found the OM so big in sound after becoming sensitized to it, that next time I’ll be going for a 00-28 or 21, 14 fret.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

OP here. Thank you one and all for the suggestions. Homework ahead.
David
Old 02-14-2020, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
It sounds like the demo’d guitar is a 0015SM. But title says 00015SM
It sure sounds sweet.
I'm fairly certain it's a 000 even though the player identifies it as a 00......
Old 02-14-2020, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

When I want that big sound (from my player's perspective) I go to my '96 Larrivee OM-09 12-fret. My '89 Taylor 810 dread is loud and has more than ample bass, but since I've gone to a smaller body guitar it's less appealing to me (and I played it almost exclusively for many years). IMHO, OM, OOO, and Rosewood B&S should give you what you seem to be seeking. My Larrivee OM-40W does not feel as "big sound" to ME (as the player), but when I plug it in (facing the amp) (and played low volume) I notice a much bigger sound being projected than I perceive as the player. As has been mentioned in other posts, it matters if you're assessing "sound" from a player vs. audience perspective. Some GREAT guitar suggestions have been offered in this thread (and you already have a couple of great ones)! Cheers!
Old 02-14-2020, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I have no idea what your budget is, but Froggy Bottom H12 (000) and Froggy Bottom C (00) satisfy your requirements.
Here’s my H12

https://youtu.be/tFVcpYXWMWM

https://youtu.be/hV-3me2PBOs

Also, the deep body version of the Collings OM2H would be a good choice.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 02-14-2020, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

1. 12-fret body
2. Long/standard scale
3. Possibly consider 1/4-1/2" deeper body

These things all make a bigger, louder, fuller, more awesome (subjective, I realize) sounding guitar. Especially can't emphasize those first two enough.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion