The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2020, 10:34 AM

Default Getting back the “one that got away”

Hey all, there’s a bit of a story here, but bear with me...

About a year ago, I was fortunate enough to trade a Bourgeois OM to a great member here on the forum for a 1956 Gibson J-50. I loved everything about the guitar; the tone was everything I’d ever wanted from an acoustic. It fit my playing style and voice like a glove. My wife even commented that she could tell the guitar was special, as I played and sang and practiced much more than she’d ever seen. The guitar was by no means perfect. It had numerous bumps and bruises, as well as a repaired center seam separation that brought the value down, and that bummed me out a little, as I put the $$ value ahead of my love of the feel and tone. I decided that I needed something else more, so I put it up for sale. After a couple nameless, faceless craigslisters insulted both myself and the guitar, and a couple tire kickers passed on it, I decided I was tired of it, and sold it on reverb for an insanely low price.

In the year or so since, I kicked myself for getting rid of it, and tried my hardest to find something that would fill the hole that the J-50 opened up. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, and I decided it wouldn’t hurt to shoot the buyer a message to see if he would consider selling the guitar that became my tonal grail back to me. Surprisingly, he agreed to sell me the guitar back for what he paid, plus shipping(!!). In the course of interacting with him, I also discovered that he is a well-known player in the modern country scene, who could have very easily asked for much more, based on his ownership of the instrument, alone. However, he’s been nothing but gracious and very down to earth in our exchanges.

Since the guitar is “player-grade” in every sense of the word, I am strongly considering having a K&K installed when it arrives next week, so that I can actually gig it. I realize now that there will likely never be another instrument that will inspire me like the J-50 does, and it’ll never leave my possession again. I don’t really care about the “book value” of the guitar anymore, as there’s no amount of money that would convince me to sell it again. There have been a couple guitars that I’ve regretted letting go, but it’s really exciting to know that I’m going to have my favorite instrument back.

I’ll post pics and my updated reaction once it arrives, if anyone is interested. It might not be the craziest guitar story out there, but I just thought I’d share it with you all. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by rc3797; 02-04-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc3797 View Post
Hey all, there’s a bit of a story here, but bear with me...

About a year ago, I was fortunate enough to trade a Bourgeois OM to a great member here on the forum for a 1956 Gibson J-50. I loved everything about the guitar; the tone was everything I’d ever wanted from an acoustic. It fit my playing style and voice like a glove. My wife even commented that she could tell the guitar was special, as I played and sang and practiced much more than she’d ever seen. The guitar was by no means perfect. It had numerous bumps and bruises, as well as a repaired center seam separation that brought the value down, and that bummed me out a little, as I put the $$ value ahead of my love of the feel and tone. I decided that I needed something else more, so I put it up for sale. After a couple nameless, faceless craigslisters insulted both myself and the guitar, and a couple tire kickers passed on it, I decided I was tired of it, and sold it on reverb for an insanely low price.

In the year or so since, I kicked myself for getting rid of it, and tried my hardest to find something that would fill the hole that the J-50 opened up. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, and I decided it wouldn’t hurt to shoot the buyer a message to see if he would consider selling the guitar that became my tonal grail back to me. Surprisingly, he agreed to sell me the guitar back for what he paid, plus shipping(!!). In the course of interacting with him, I also discovered that he is a well-known player in the modern country scene, who could have very easily asked for much more, based on his ownership of the instrument, alone. However, he’s been nothing but gracious and very down to earth in our exchanges.

Since the guitar is “player-grade” in every sense of the word, I am strongly considering having a K&K installed when it arrives next week, so that I can actually gig it. I realize now that there will likely never be another instrument that will inspire me like the J-50 does, and it’ll never leave my possession again. I don’t really care about the “book value” of the guitar anymore, as there’s no amount of money that would convince me to sell it again. There have been a couple guitars that I’ve regretted letting go, but it’s really exciting to know that I’m going to have my favorite instrument back.

I’ll post pics and my updated reaction once it arrives, if anyone is interested. It might not be the craziest guitar story out there, but I just thought I’d share it with you all. Thanks for reading!
Great story! Thanks for sharing and congrats on getting it back. My Taylor 314ce is that guitar for me. The first really nice guitar I've ever owned because I was able to pick it up really cheaply as it's "player grade minus" condition dictated a low price. I had to do some serious repair work on that thing and, when it needed a little something extra that I couldn't do I brought it to Taylor.

When they opened the case the Taylor tech let out an audible gasp at seeing the condition the guitar appeared to be in with most of the finish bubbling off and some rather large dings and dents. Since it wasn't under warranty they nicely explained that it probably wan't worth the cost of the repair. Nevertheless I insisted as it was my "tonal grail" (or at least darn close to it) and the easiest guitar I've ever had the pleasure to handle. Sure enough, the tech came back in a bit to tell me he'd fixed it AND that it was "one of the best playing guitars" he'd played in his many years at the factory! Everyone, from friends, to pros to my guitar teachers who have had the chance to try it all have said the same thing...that this particular guitar is definitely something special despite the looks. No way I'd sell that thing but if I did I'd immediately regret it and would hope it might return to me someday. I'm happy to hear that yours did.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

I've often thought that a guitar lending library might aid those who suffer both buyer's and seller's remorse at various times. Acquire some amazing guitar, and then it goes to someone else after a given period of time with the understanding that it can be re-acquired. I know, lots of potential pitfalls, but I still like to concept of being able to move guitars around a guitar community whose members respect and care for their instruments...
Old 02-04-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Nice arc to the story. I hear a new song there?

I tried a few call backs that I foolishly sold but they weren't as successful as yours.

I like my 50's Gibson. It definitely sounds earthy and bright.
Lead lines on this are almost as potent as my mom calling my brothers and I in for chow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion