The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-03-2020, 08:55 PM

Default Rubbermaid Bin for Guitar Storage

Greetings all. Long time lurker here, first post. Over the past year or so since I found this community, I've consumed a lot of helpful info and also really enjoyed all the spirited and useful content, so I thought I'd post and share a solution that might be interesting for some.

Over the years I've tried many different storage and humidity solutions for my guitars, and I hit upon something recently that appears to be working well for me. I go from one guitar to another often, so I wanted a solution that would be easier than taking guitars out of cases all the time. Also, here in the Southwest, at least at my house, the dust is really bad, so I didn't want to just leave guitars hanging on a wall even if I could afford a big room humidifier. Finally, I wanted something I could secure with a lock to provide a minimal level of protection against our local grab-n-go thieves that have hit us a few times recently.

So I was in a Home Depot a few months ago, and they had a sale on large plastic "deck boxes," which are really just big plastic-resin bins designed for outdoor storage of yard items like hoses and pool supplies. I thought for around a hundred dollars, I could see if I could duct tape the inside seams, cram some acoustic guitars in there, and maintain a consistent 40 - 50% RH. I added a cross-bar crafted from a 2x4, some plastic trays for sponges (or water beads) on the bottom panel, and as far as I can tell it is working. I've got three hygrometers in the bin that all read in the right range throughout, and I'm enjoying the ease in which I can grab a guitar and put it back with no hassles. I can easily get 8 full-sized acoustics in this thing.

It's not the most elegant solution, and my wife likes it only slightly better than having a bunch of cases all over the place, but for me it's quick, easy, effective, and super-affordable. Only negative thing about this solution I can see is the increased risk of scratches and dings when pulling instruments in and out of the bin, but I have never been one to care too much about that kind of thing.

Anyway, I've attached some photos so you can see what I'm talking about. If you can put up with the ugliness of having a big plastic coffin in your house, it's a pretty neat solution.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:08 PM

Welcome to the group. That storage is at least utilitarian. However, contact with the plastic and any guitars with Nitro (and possibly others) might cause serious damage to the finish and the 2x4 will cause dings on you necks. Otherwise, it's great.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Welcome to the group. That storage is at least utilitarian. However, contact with the plastic and any guitars with Nitro (and possibly others) might cause serious damage to the finish and the 2x4 will cause dings on you necks. Otherwise, it's great.
Plus there's the risk of strings scratching the backs of guitars when you put them in and out. I would not store my guitars this way.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-03-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino757 View Post
I go from one guitar to another often, so I wanted a solution that would be easier than taking guitars out of cases all the time.
If your solution works for you, congratulations and more power to you, but if everything in life were as easy as taking guitars out of cases, things would be pretty sweet!
Old 02-03-2020, 09:30 PM

The idea has merit. There appears to be enough space to the left and right that partitions of felt or something over plywood could be added, and it's deep enough that a fabric-covered padded bottom could be placed inside.

Or if, like the OP, you do not worry about little dings and dangs, use it as is. I personally would be more concerned with a reaction to nitro than scrapes and scratches. If it does react, it could create quite a mess.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:33 PM

Welcome to the AGF, Dino. Great first post. Very innovative solution.

Like mentioned above, you might experience some unwanted scratches/dings since it's a tight fit. One option would be one guitar from each side. You might want to put some foam where the neck rests. Looks cool.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:34 PM

Thanks guys for the input. I should have mentioned there's a padded blanket on the bottom panel, but the foam padding on the 2x4 is a great idea!

I'll update the thread with any further mods.

Dino
Old 02-04-2020, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs down

I don't mean to be negative, or to rain on your party, but you asked, so I'm gonna be honest. I think it's just a bad idea. Cases were designed for the guitar's protection, & they do it well. If it's too much work getting in & out of your cases, then maybe you have too many guitars. Guitars also need to breathe; got some air flow in there?
Steve

Last edited by Stevien; 02-04-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:35 AM

Just a thought: A room humidifier of the sort that has been recommended by many users on this forum can be had for virtually the same money (~$100 - 120). I, too, live in the Southwest, and between two humidifiers, one that cost $120 new, and the other that cost $30 on Craigslist, I can keep the entire house humidified (~1900 square feet) and never worry which room my guitars happen to be in.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-04-2020, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

Sorry if this sounds negative and critical but, to my eyes, those pics look like you’ve created more problems than you’ve solved. Removal of a guitar from that tightly-packed box looks like a complicated, time-consuming manœuvre, with a real risk of scratches, knocks and dings as you wiggle it around. Replacement is surely just as hazardous.

I store my cased guitars in a five-case rack, it’s a straightforward operation which takes seconds to pull a case off the rack, unclip the latches, lift the lid, and safely remove the guitar. As others have said, a case’s purpose is to protect the guitar whereas, with that box arrangement, you seem to be putting them more in harm’s way.

As I said at the beginning, absolutely no offence intended, but you did ask for opinions...

As always, the usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

E0CC9DD4-76FF-4404-8E8D-A13B8FE2A067.jpg

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-04-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino757 View Post
Greetings all. Long time lurker here, first post.

Oh please don’t forget to take photos of the road crew when they come to pickup your guitars for the gig!

It also looks a bit like it could have the body/bodies.....or even the alien in hypersleep.....

But I kid - you would need Arnie to steal that!

Like Jaybee, I also case my guitars on 5 guitar stands but I run a bike lock through the handles. Thief will need to carry five guitars in cases or bring a bolt cutter!

BluesKing777.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:21 AM

Default Rubbermaid Bin for Guitar Storage

That’s a clever solution to a problem I also have. [emoji846]

Others have mentioned possible nitrocellulose finish damage from contact with the plastic; that definitely seems to be of concern. I wonder... does anyone think there might be finish damage due to off-gassing of the plastic? I don’t know if the gases contain the same reactive ingredients as the plastic itself, but might be worth considering.

You also mentioned using some foam - be careful with that as well as it, too, may react with the finish. You’d probably do better to get some natural fiber felt from the fabric store.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Oh please don’t forget to take photos of the road crew when they come to pickup your guitars for the gig!

It also looks a bit like it could have the body/bodies.....or even the alien in hypersleep.....

But I kid - you would need Arnie to steal that!

Like Jaybee, I also case my guitars on 5 guitar stands but I run a bike lock through the handles. Thief will need to carry five guitars in cases or bring a bolt cutter!

BluesKing777.
If possible he could always drill four holes in the bottom and into the cement and put four anchors in...you'll need some equipment to get that out. Thieves dont want to take time ...they want to get in and get out...if its too difficult they will just move on to another job and leave it...not worth the risk. slow them down is the best solution when not home..make it tough.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:42 AM

Thats a good idea. I like it. I've been trying to come up with an idea along these lines recently.
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 02-04-2020, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Guitars also need to breathe; got some air flow in there?
Steve
Need to breathe? Please explain, because I'm pretty sure there's more air to wood ratio in that bin than any Hiscox, Calton or Gelb case in my closet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion