The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2020, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

I might stick with the '62 CW?
I love the old vibrating back, lightly built Gibsons. My '59 is a fine guitar.

I also went through a J 45 TV cycle. I had a fantastic 2013 and one weak day I sold it after it sat dormant in my closet for a few months. The buyer was happy with it and did not want to resell it back, even for a few hundred more.

I then bought 2 others. They weren't close. One had some strange overuse summer festival wear that was not disclosed with pictures. Another that just didn't have the originals large dynamic range. But the fourth has all the magic of the one I had to begin with.

They sound and feel are different. That's the fun of the hunt for the one that moves you.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:50 PM

Playing a nice old guitar like my 1937 Gibson L-0 is like taking it easy when you realise the weather is really getting hot and up until now you have been running around like a mad thing - you have to slow down a bit on the old Gibson, maybe, but the extra tone from the old wood takes up the space.

BluesKing777.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:32 AM

I feel more confident in a “modern” guitar as a do-it-all workhorse. Also a factor.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:37 AM
Charter Member

I'm not equipped to fix old things, whether it's in my house, my car, or my guitars. I think the newer guitars are built extremely well and sound great too. I look forward to experiencing their changes, as they age over time.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I feel more confident in a “modern” guitar as a do-it-all workhorse. Also a factor.
My old guitars have proven their toughness over time. They are less susceptible to environmental changes than my modern guitars, and tend to stay in tune better as temperature and humidity fluctuate.

I would not hesitate to use them wherever a “workhorse” is required.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 08-31-2021, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
A friend at work helps some inner city teens with acquiring instruments and band equipment for their after school program.

Cool I just donated my old Sigma to the local high school. I was wondering
what good to do with it and this board helped me with the idea.

I also just got a Citation CIT9000... CIT7001 is what my friend Kent has. My
CIT9000 would be perfect (neck is straight, top is flat at the bridge, action low
and playable) but there's a place on the binding where it took a hit, I'll
have to ask the luthier how I can stabilize that...

-Mike
I was researching (again) information on one of my acoustic finds, a Citation CIT-9000. Several hits pointed here. One of a few places I have found a reference. It is a darn nice acoustic, even as-is, given that I have only cleaned her up so far. My skills with finishes and especially necks and frets were not up to the task of a guitar I really like.

Turns out I have a login here and haven't visited since 2013. ????????????.

The weather sucks this Summer and I plan a number of guitar projects when it turns better. Hopefully soon. Anyway, I have been working on a small collection and my tastes are getting more refined. A rescued a number of bargain guitars and worked extensively on a number of them. Skills, tools, and techniques have improved. I will be going through the CIT-9000 soon.

Got her off the Goodwill auction. What do you guys know about her? Years?
Model numbers? Construction? I think this is a MIJ solid top dreadnaught from the early 70s. Finish is almost certainly nitrocellulose. I have finished a couple of Telecasters in nitro and know the stuff well. The pinned bridge screams late 60s / early 70s Asian construction to me. Great condition, I think she sported a hard case all her life. Came to me in a nice one.

Here she is...

Oh well... I guess I need to host images on URL somewhere. Working on that.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Trying to load images...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pics are a bit old and poor quality. This is back when I first received it. Longer ago than I seem to recall.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I will be going through the CIT-9000 soon.

I have two CIT-9000s... one nice one and the one with the
problem at the binding... Looking at it now, it seems also to
have a soon-to-be-lifting bridge... I should send it to you to fix ...

Here's the nice one. It is nice because the luthier set the neck
and shimmed the nut and I don't remember what else. Silly
thing to do to a guitar that cost $100.00 in 1975 or so...
it has sentimental value...

I looked at the edge of the soundhole, and it does look solid...
ida know...

-Mike
Old 09-01-2021, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
There are only two kinds of guitars out there - those you like and those you d not.

I started buying used guitars in the 1960s because I could not afford anything shiny and new. Somewhere along the way they magically transformed into "vintage" instruments but I still think of them as simply used. I have played some new guitars I absolutely loved. A certain Huss & Dalton I got my hands on about two years ago still haunts me. But in the end I have largely stuck with older guitars. I apparently I have an affinity for Gibsons as we own five built between 1932 and 1961 and one lone newish Bozeman-made guitar being a 2001 WM-00. The guitars built before 1950 have a true quirkiness to them which is not surprising in that a part was considered finished when it looked "close enough." With regard to my 1942 J50, no guitar speaks as eloquently to a specific time and place as a Banner. With others such as my '32 L1 and '61 B45-12, Gibson simply built nothing like them before or after.

As they say a picture is worth 1,000 words. Here is the 1932 12 fret L1.

There’s very few guitars that just perk my interest and that’s one. An early 30’s 12 fret L-1. Killer guitar. Play it in good health and PM me if you ever sell!

I practice on new guitars and play fingerstyle and slack key on new guitars as the rich overtones and lushness really help those pursuits. But for blues, rags, and flat picking the dryness of a vintage cannot be beat. And by vintage, I mean pre-1945. The 1950s to be ok for price considerations. I don’t consider much past 1960 as something I would buy. My guitars range 1933-1937 (6), from 1979-1989 (3) and ”modern”. The 1979, 1980, and 1989 are all Franklins which were very lightly built during the horribly overbuilt 1970s. The rest are from the 2005-2018.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:36 PM

I own vintage and new (newer), acoustic and electric. There is no better for me, they are all great guitars and I love 'em.
My all time favorite acoustic is my 2013 Gibson OJ.
I also own two all original 56's Fender Stratocasters,but my number 1 is my Fender Custom Shop Strat made by Chris Fleming to late '56 specs.

1930 National Style O
1931 National Triolian
1933 Gibson L-1
2007 Martin 000-18 SB Authentic
2013 Gibson 1935 Advanced Jumbo Limited Edition
2013 Gibson 1934 Original Jumbo Limited Edition
2021 Martin D-28 CAA 1937
2022 Martin 000-28 CAA
Many Strat's, Tele's, ES 335's and a Gretsch Duo Jet
Old 09-01-2021, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I buy and play what sounds good. Some new; some not so new. My favorite player right now is the '94 Yairi. It just hits all of the checkboxes for me.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Forty or older year wood just sounds better to me. But guitars are more consistent now. But I'll always take a good old guitar. Nostalgia, aesthetics, and tone all figure in.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-01-2021, 08:30 PM

Well, what is true is that every guitar is individual and has to be judged on its individual merits. I have played pre-war dogs and really excellent newer guitars.

I think it is a matter of individual taste. Many players like the idea that new guitars are going to be trouble free (they are not going to break trouble free).

Many who like older guitars love the idea that others have played them and loved them for many decades (which actually has no impact on whether or not they are any good).

I happen to like older guitars but my main go-to guitar is a 17 year old Martin that was new when I bought it. As an aside, that Martin has had the bridge off twice, has had binding issues, and the intonation was off. Nothing trouble free about it.

My older guitars have had all their weaknesses fixed. To be completely honest, I really like the way they look, the old Gibson sunburst and scratch-plate pattern, the Hawaiian designs on the Style O National, the faded California orange of the Gretsch. I like the play wear, I like the weather checking, I like the fingerboard pits. But I hate the original tuners…
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 09-01-2021, 10:02 PM

vintage guitars are a love hate thing for sure, but it's hard to beat the tone of a pre war guitar, if it plays and that is the catch
Old 09-02-2021, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I got this cf-100 a few weeks ago. It is 67 years old and looks it.

Its neck is awesome (to me) holy cow I like this guitar.

I went a few towns over where there is a big guitar store and spent a
while playing a rosewood 2006 J-45, a brand new mahogany J-45,
and a brand new J-15. They all seemed like good guitars, but I've
researched out a couple of places where I think I can play some
1950s era J-45s and I'm looking forward to it.

On the other hand, modern builders are building things like
the Dudenbostel D18 that is currently for sale on this site. Seeing
its pictures are probably as close as I'll ever come to one of those,
but it looks out of this world.

-Mike
Very cool CF-100 Mike!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion