The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
If Eastman could make Bourgeois quality guitars without his help, then they would have done it by now.

If you want one of these $2500+ BourgEastmois, then more power to you. It's a free country (well, one of them is).
Glad it's a free country. And I'll fix your flat tire, Merle.

My point was specs are set to a price point. We'll have to see where that falls out.

BTW, I'm very fond of my Bourgeois guitar, which was made by the only Bourgeois company that currently exists. Don't need more. But I'm really curious about how this all settles out. I definitely intend to play a hybrid.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:13 PM

Is anyone else as excited about the Bourgeois/Eastman partnership as I am?

Interested - sure.
Excited - not so much.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-31-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin71 View Post
It's a Chinese company and Chinese companies have such a great track record. If their country can't get basic human rights right, just imagine what they think of IP or screwing over business partners when things go south (see NBA backlash). You gotta admire that kind of optimism, though...

My optimism is based on the assumption that Eastman has purchased Bourgeois, hired Dana as CEO and committed to invest heavily in Maine. Eastman is a much larger company and has many times the skilled labor building musical instruments. They didn’t need to do this, but is does elevate their standing and it’s reasonable to assume both Eastman and Bourgeois guitars will cost more in the future. That makes it a win/win.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
My optimism is based on the assumption that Eastman has purchased Bourgeois, hired Dana as CEO and committed to invest heavily in Maine. Eastman is a much larger company and has many times the skilled labor building musical instruments. They didn’t need to do this, but is does elevate their standing and it’s reasonable to assume both Eastman and Bourgeois guitars will cost more in the future. That makes it a win/win.
Fair enough... yes - a win/win on paper. i'm the sure the NBA's relationship with China was a win/win on paper, too, right up until the Chinese remembered that they don't particularly care for free speech and suddenly contractual agreements that were in place were being broken at great speed.

“Out of dialogue with others comes rhetoric. Out of dialogue with yourself comes poetry.”
Old 01-31-2020, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Is anyone else as excited about the Bourgeois/Eastman partnership as I am?

Interested - sure.
Excited - not so much.
There seem to be plenty of "excited" opinions.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue314 View Post
...I may just start looking for a used American-made Martin 000-16SM...
The one you want is the 000-16SRGT, a rosewood/spruce 12-fretter with major 000-28VS visual/tonal vibe and a cult favorite among those who have ever played one - the problem is finding someone desperate/crazy/stupid enough to part with theirs...
Old 02-01-2020, 07:21 AM

I wonder if one day we'll see an ad for a "pre-Eastman" Bourgeois similar to "pre-CBS" Fenders?

I have two Bourgeois dreads that will go to my heirs... they get to worry about the value if they decide to sell them. I just checked this morning - both of my Bourgeois' still play and sound great, so the Eastman deal hasn't affected them.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:33 PM

You have two guitar makers who know their way around the wood and tools. I'm sure they are venturing into this marriage with dreams of prosperity and success. I guess time will tell if it was a union for life.😉
I wish them the very best!
Old 02-01-2020, 02:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

I wish I wasn't so busy and was able to post some photos of the Eastman booth at NAMM. They had three beautiful blinged-out Borgeous beauties on display.

There seemed to be a lot of buzz and media ithe booth, but I am hardly an objective Eastman observor. But the people I used to talk to in the booth were all tied up with media.

It seems to be starting out on the right foot.

Now even worse GAS attacks heading your way.

scott memmer
Old 02-01-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

I haven't been on here for a while. That is exciting news. I can't wait to check them out.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I wish I wasn't so busy and was able to post some photos of the Eastman booth at NAMM. They had three beautiful blinged-out Borgeous beauties on display.

There seemed to be a lot of buzz and media ithe booth, but I am hardly an objective Eastman observor. But the people I used to talk to in the booth were all tied up with media.

It seems to be starting out on the right foot.

Now even worse GAS attacks heading your way.

scott memmer
Can't wait to see those pics. I still can't see anything sounding better to me that my e40om though. It sounds even better when I let my real guitar playing friend play it.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
How do you pronounce Bourgeois anyway?
I think. bore-go

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion