The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 09:58 PM

Talking So understand this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
I didn't take offense to the OP's post. I understand what he is saying. But of course there are many variables to this as people buy and sell for many different reasons.

I had never purchased and acoustic guitar with my money until 2005 when I was about 39 years old. The ones I had before that were given to me. It was an impulse buy in 2005. I had a GC credit card. My wife was at a clothing store near the GC and I went and looked at guitars. I found a Taylor 214(before they were layered back and sides) for about $900. I really liked and I asked my wife if I could buy it on the card. Yes, I asked my wife permission! She said yes and it went home with me. I played the heck out of it for ten years. Was interested in others but not really looking to buy another one.

I got laid off in 2014. Had a severance package so I bought another Taylor 320. I had decided that I was a Taylor guy and loved the Taylor sound. I never did really bond with the all hog sound so I sold it in 2016. Then in 2017 my sister came into a large sum of money. She wanted to buy me something so I said you can buy me a guitar. She bought me a beautiful Taylor 714ce WSB. I had it until I decided it just wasn't what I wanted and sold it last year. I also bought the 224ce-K DLX (up for sale on the forum as of last night) at about the same time I got the 714ce. I wanted one of those newfangled Taylor Grand Pacifics with the money I got from the sale of the 214. It was a 317e and after getting it I realized I didn't like it so I sold it. At this point I had lost about $1700 in my transactions from when I first bought the 714ce to selling the 317e.

But at about the same time I got that 317e, I bought a cheap laminate back and sides Yamaha FG800 used off of CL for $150. I found that I was loving that big boomy dread sound. I really like that cheap ol' FG800. So I took the money from the sale of the 317e and bought a used Yamaha FGX5 dread. I had always said I was not a Martin fan but I feel that my taste is changing and I think this Yammy sounds like a D-18 for a lot less.

So in a nutshell, I had the one and only one 214 for ten years and then since 2014 I have bought 6 guitars and have sold 3 and have one for sale now. I plan on buying a Yamaha LL16D ARE with the cash from the 224ce-K. The 224 is a great and beautiful guitar but I have found that my taste has changed and now I am digging the big dread sound and the Taylors just seem thin to me now. I am also realizing that I don't have to spend a ton on a good guitar or have the prettiest one. I am after the sound and playabilty first and foremost. So see, there are many variables to buying and selling guitars. I am an average player. But all I want is a guitar that sounds pleasing to my ears. I hope to cool it once I get the LL16. I will then have one nice mahogany and one nice rosewood guitar to go along with my old sepele 214 and cheap FG800. I will eventually get a Taylor GS Mini Koa. I just want one. I really want to get to the point to where I can just settle on these for a long time and be happy with what I have. But I know, famous last words!

P.S. I partially blame this forum for my affliction of GAS. I have learned a lot on here. I have probably learned too much for my own good. It is such a fun hobby isn't it? It is a lot more than just playing the thing.
Totally enjoyed reading this, just as much fun as every other part of this hobby for me.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:41 PM

I usually find a good setup on my main acoustic helps me fall back in love.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion