The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-04-2020, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Nobody could or should convince you to buy carbon fiber. It's got a very definite set of care and feeding advantages. And it doesn't have any downsides IF you find one or two you really like the sound of and the playability. Not all carbon fiber sounds the same, just as not all wood sounds the same. As noted above, Rainsong has a sound, Emerald has a sound, Martin has a sound, Taylor has a sound, Gibson has a sound. But in my experience, there IS a difference between wood and carbon fiber that's hard to describe.

I have an Emerald X7 and I love it - I thought I was gonna be all carbon fiber and only carbon fiber. Maybe just that one guitar - I'm not a guy to have a lot of gear. But as much as I dug and dig that guitar, I ALSO missed wood. I don't think it was the sound as much as the aesthetic and the feel of it, but I think it was partly the sound. I bought an 000-15SM and I love that guitar too. And I'm really glad to have a wood guitar again.

I think having one (or more) of each is a good way to go. The wood requires more care and attention but as long as I have the Emerald out on a stand or hanging from the wall, I can just case the Martin with humidipaks and not think about it when conditions get too wet or too dry or too unpredictable. But then it's there when things normalize a bit and I love the contrast.

And it does sound different - I don't think I like one more than the other because they both sound incredible to me. But I missed the sound of wood more than I think I'd miss the sound of carbon fiber if I didn't have it. Maybe just because I've spent 40 years playing wooden guitars and only a bit over a year playing carbon fiber? I miss my mother more than I miss one of her friends who I only became acquainted with late in her life - not to say my Mom was better but I knew her a lot better and miss her a whole lot more. So it may just be familiarity...

So only you can decide whether you like a particular carbon fiber guitar enough to make it part of your collection. Like any other guitar, you can get a pretty good feel for it but it takes some time to really get to know it. You might find one or two you love, you might not...

-Ray
Old 01-04-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I bought a Journey OF660 and have been super happy with the practical elements of the guitar( breaks apart into a small bag that fits overhead on a plane, not affected by weather changes). It’s tone was nothing like my wood instruments but for what it is it perfectly fills a niche for me.
I found myself wanting for a nylon equivalent but Journey didn’t make a carbon fiber nylon guitar. I ultimately picked up an Emerald X7 nylon and am blown away by the tone and playability. I’ve found myself playing this guitar routinely and not just while traveling. I now understand why someone who lives in a location with challenging environmental conditions would/could consider going all carbon fiber. I’m now pondering the possibility of a X20 nylon for a worry free home player.
I would also encourage you to seek out instruments in your area to play.
Good luck,
Tom
Old 01-06-2020, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Here's my $0.02 -

Don't buy a CF for the novelty of owning a non-wood guitar. Get one because you have a use for it. I have downsized to 2 guitars - a RainSong 12 Fret Shorty and Martin OM-21. When I play them one after another, there is no mistaking which is wood and which is CF. However......when I play my RS on its own, I love the tone! I owned several different sized RainSongs before settling on this one. As many have stated, like wood guitars, all CF's do not sound alike. One day, I hope to play an Emerald so I can compare the two.

The Pro's of my CF - Easy maintenance, great tone. Portable - I took mine to the beach yesterday!

The Con's - although the tone is wonderful to my ears, it is NOT wood. It's a tone unto itself. So not really a con, but a factor that should be considered.

If travel/portability/outdoor playing is something you do regularly, than I would definitely get a CF. If you live in an area that requires a lot of humidify/de-humidify attention and you don't like to deal with that, then get one. If not, then I suggest making sure the tone of a CF guitar is what you are after, otherwise stick with wood. With $6k, you can easily get one of each.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:30 AM

The main reason would be if you travel a lot and want to bring a guitar with you. I bought a Journey OF660 about 18 months ago and have taken it on numerous flights and train rides in 5 different countries and through vastly different climates.

I've had it sitting out in a little beach house in high humidity and high temperatures for a month straight and then flown to a cold dry climate and never worried about cracking or acclimation.

It breaks apart and fits in a nice overhead case and I've not once had to check it with an airline. I put clothes inside the body and around it and only need an additional small carry on for other articles and I'm all set.

So if you plan on traveling and don't want to check it or worry about climate, it cannot be beat.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Seems a lot of posts are indicating that CF guitars are mainly for traveling...obviously they work well for that but don't write them off as a main player. I've compared my X20 to a lot of guitars, and to my ears I preferred it's tone over a lot of high dollar guitars. Not to mention the comfort factor. If you compare it to guitars that cost basically the same....I haven't heard anything I preferred over the X20. I do keep a couple nice wood guitars for the variety. I love them all !
Old 01-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Guest 928

Early developments of CF instruments were based largely on durability and mobility. They've gone way beyond those two benefits.

What CF now brings to the table are incredible levels of research, development and innovation. The creative burst has led to significant changes in ergonomics, tonal variety, and extensive choice.

I've been particularly enamored of the variety now available in the CF market. There is, however, a down side to the available choices--pick one and there's another you missed. I've been through 2 Composite Acoustics, several Rainsongs, 3 Blackbirds, and 4 Emeralds.

The customizations available with Emeralds have been especially fetching. I did an Emerald 10 with peg-type tuners, but then had to try an Emerald with the slot head tuners. After the ten, I had to try a
20. After several long scales I felt compelled to try a short scale. Each of those attempts meant another guitar.

Fortunately I've had no trouble selling my CF choices and I'm now working on the 5th iteration of my ideal guitar. I think I'm close and the 5th Emerald may be my last. This has been fun stuff.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:52 AM

In that price range don’t rule out the McPherson Sable, great quality build with a full rich voice to my ear. That said, echoing others, I have had Rainsong’s and an Emerald, borrowed a OF660 and still have a Blackbird Lucky 13, all great instruments with their own feel and sound.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:14 AM

I just posted my review of the X20 today ... just my 2 cents ... I hope it helps .. it's just a couple of posts down .. at the end of the thread.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=560602

Be & Remember ☮
Old 01-07-2020, 11:01 AM

Another point: if you are gigging and/or playing mostly amplified, the sound difference between wood and CF diminishes, if not goes away outright. You're mostly hearing the sound of the pickup. I bought my CA GX as a gigging guitar--the travel & environmental stability is really nice, and it sounds great through the PA with the built-in Fishman Aura pickup system.

Not that it doesn't sound good unamplified as well! I've heard it said that the CA guitars sound the most "woody" of the CF guitars, but none of them sound "bad". Maybe just a bit different than wood. I've had nothing but compliments on the sound--and appearance!--of my GX.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:31 AM

I actually think my Rainsong sounds (even) better through the PA. It certainly doesn't take the woody sound and leave it something stuck in a cable like a piece of electronic plaque.

NOTHING beats a 1930's Brazilian Martin in a sound room with a $10,000 mike.
A bar full of drunks.... I'll take the CF any day.
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 01-07-2020, 12:28 PM

Acoustically, CAs having the most woody tone of carbon guitars, I think I can understand, having owned a Peavey Cargo for six years, though, I'll tie the statement to a certain context. In comparison to a Rainsong, it was dull, its strength being its smoothness, which I tested through different tunings, tusq, bone, corian saddles, and a variety of Thomastik and Elixir strings.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:23 AM

I purchased a Rainsong AL Pettway speacial to keep at a cabin in MI.
It is heated to 60 during the winter and does not get very hot in the summer. Just did not want to worry about a wood guitar with no humidity control.
I have had it for a month at home in Oh and hate to admit it is a great sounding and playing guitar. I have 5 very nice models from various builders and the Rainsong stands tall in the group. It has a slightly different tone and find it sound is closer to my Hog/spruce om's.
Why should you buy a CF?
Easy to care for.
Not very costly.
They sound very good.
Why not?
It is not made of wood and does not have the smell.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:53 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
..... hate to admit it is a great sounding and playing guitar .....
Why is that?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

I have two thoughts. First, if I were to spend $6000, I might consider a hope over to the custom forum and think about having one built for you. It's another option, the only downside is not being able to play it before you buy it, but if you choose a reputable builder with a good history, it isn't as much of a crap-shoot as you'd think.

Second, I have custom acoustics, and I have a beautiful 814CE with an Adi top. The guitar that gets the most play is my Rainsong H-OM. I LOVE that I don't have to think about temperature or humidity. I LOVE that it sounds beautiful. I take it everywhere and anywhere and I LOVE that every time I have played the guitar at an open mic or other performance, at least one person comes to me to tell me how beautiful the guitar sounds. I happen to like the H series better than the others of Rainsong. Does it compare to a "wood" guitar? I think so. It sounds like a guitar. I have a friend that has an ancient Guild dread, and his guitar sounds beautiful, as does mine. And I can leave mine out, hanging on the wall at any time of year, with or without a humidifier going. I play even more frequently because it is just so convenient. Did I mention it sounds beautiful?

I want to play an Emerald X30. If I were to buy another, that would be the way to go. I have a Rainsong Black Ice WS model that sounds lovely, looks cool, but sounds too similar to the H, so I will be selling it, and looking seriously at the Emerald. The only issue I have is that the sound clips sound almost too "bassy", so I need to play that in person.

Nobody can convince you to buy a CF guitar. All I can tell you is that my Rainsong is really the only guitar I would need. Hope that helps.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-08-2020, 09:40 AM

Mark

Since you're a long term guitar player ... I would go with a custom

Be & Remember ☮

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber