The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Front strap button/position poll: What would you do?
Don't drill a hole in that beautiful, new guitar! Tie to the headstock! 27 22.31%
Don't be such a baby! Drill the back of the heel and use your existing strap locks!! 19 15.70%
Suck it up, drill the 'Taylor position' hole and buy a new set of strap locks. 71 58.68%
Return the guitar. You don't deserve anything this nice and new anyway! 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Of all the occasions I could possibly save 10 bucks on, taking a drill to an expensive guitar is hands-down the worst I can come up with. If someone came too me and asked which option I would choose -- a very real risk of dinging up a 2k guitar BUT save $10, or spend $10 and eliminate the risk -- why would I even think about this?
Good points but unfortunately their is still a risk of a sloppy job when you're paying someone $10. I took to doing it myself because of indifferent pros.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
In my experience most people call it "the usual position".
I'd go for that term too...
But around 17 years ago, I bought a guitar to a well-respected tech and had him attach a strap pin.

He bought it back to me with the pin attached to the back of the heel.

He was surprised when I told him that's not what I meant, and he said that's the usual position where most of his customers wanted it. On the other hand, I was surprised because what I thought was the usual position was the treble side of the heel. I had never seen anyone place it anywhere else.

In any case, my bad, because I should have been more specific. I tried it for a week, hated it, and he cheerfully relocated the pin.

Live and learn.

Last edited by menhir; 12-25-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:15 PM

Don't drill it just because having a strap pin button on the treble side of the heel is more popular today than tying the strap to the headstock. Tie the strap to the headstock first, and try it out. Then find a guitar, same size and shape, with the strap pin button and give it a try.

I installed a strap pin button on one of my guitars, then didn't like the way the strap felt or how the guitar hung, and so the strap went back to the headstock. Now that guitar has a strap pin button that doesn't get used, rather than a filled screw hole on the treble side of the neck heel.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 12-26-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
I wouldn't have an issue with adding a pin. I added one to my Indiana Madison myself. I put it on the heel because that is where the Indiana Scout pin is.

The Scout came with a front strap pin. That was good enough for me so that is what was done on the Madison.

Both of the Takamine's have the strap pin in your "Taylor" position. I like that much better.

Johnny Cash tied the strap to the head stock. I have done this also. I prefer a strap pin.
I have a mandolin with the strap tied to the head stock. I tied it off between the tuners because it got in the way at the nut. It will get a pin in the near future. May take it in to have done. I want it in the "Taylor" position and that runs the risk of hitting the truse rod with the drill and screw on mandolin.
Prior to the 1970s, most performers tied to the headstock. I recall some bluegrass players fastening their straps at the heel in the 1960s, but it wasn't common.

Johnny Cash

Bob Dylan

Ian Tyson - Ian tied his in the place that rstait ties his mandolin, probably for the same reason. I tie my mandolin straps this way as well.

Buffy Sainte-Marie
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .

Last edited by PHJim; 12-26-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

I think it all depends on the guitar, and how long you are going to keep it. If it were a vintage guitar, I'd say "hands off." Learn to like the tie at the headstock angle.

That said, if you are not the type of person who keeps a guitar long, then I'd avoid modifying it. If you are not gigging it, then sit down and play, and if you need a strap to hold it in place then tie it at the headstock.

I look at strap buttons and pickups the same way that I look at swimming pools on properties I'm interested in. I really have to like the "house" to assume liability for the modification to "the property".

As for strap buttons in the heel cap, no thanks. I have walked away from buying quite a few guitars that had buttons installed at the heel cap and a few with the strap button located on the upper bouts.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:45 PM

I don't like the heel cap position, but I wouldn't walk away from a nice guitar with a strap button there. My 1950 LG-1 and an Epiphone 12-string both had strap buttons in the heel cap. I took 'em out and put them in the regular position. It's sure not a deal breaker for me.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 12-27-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

After checking out PHJim's post above with the photos of Johnny and Bob and how high they wore they guitars I switched my strap over to one of my more comfortable old Levy straps and tried cinching it up a little higher and I was quite surprised to find that made a big difference in the comfort and playability level of the guitar with the strap in the headstock position. Or maybe I'm just acclimating but now I'm once again changing my mind to maybe just leaving it stock. One thing is for sure, I'm loving the tone of this monster 12 fret dread!
Old 12-27-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
After checking out PHJim's post above with the photos of Johnny and Bob and how high they wore they guitars I switched my strap over to one of my more comfortable old Levy straps and tried cinching it up a little higher and I was quite surprised to find that made a big difference in the comfort and playability level of the guitar !
Have you tried the Buffy St Marie position?
Old 01-04-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Have you tried the Buffy St Marie position?
I have not tried that position but I will say that now that I'm a few weeks into owning and playing this guitar, and playing it exclusively using the strap on the headstock, that I've not only acclimated to it, I'm finding that I prefer it. Go figure. I had been experiencing a pain in the large knuckle area between the middle and ring fingers for several months and that now seems to be all but gone. I'm not sure if this is due to the Martin Mod V with PA taper carve, neck positioning due to using the headstock strap (which brings the fretting hand closer) or some combination of all of the above. Regardless, I'll take it!

Another thing I've noticed with regard to the thought that they headstock strap might be bad for the neck (thus increasing the eventual need for a neck reset) I've noticed that in the position that I wear it, the headstock strap actual pulls almost straight back which in my mind would in some small way counteract the string tension pulling on the neck joint which is what causes the need for neck reset since it's the neck pulling in that direction. So there's that.

One other interesting thing: Although the quick disconnect system on the top of the guitar is very secure and therefore cannot come off, there is still the question of the bottom end. I want to put on one of my preferred Schaller strap locks on the bottom side but I don't want to modify the guitar from stock so I came up with a plan that worked quite well. Basically I took a white plastic guitar strap pin, cut off the top and drilled out a screw hole and then screwed on my preferred Planet Waves brass button which is what works with the Schallers. I have not installed yet but it looks like it will work perfectly. I can find the perfect depth setting by just screwing the screw in or out as needed.

I'll post a couple photos of what I talked about in this post.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Strap position:

Modified pin:

Old 01-21-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Updated with final decision - strap button installed in neck heel side.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know it makes sense!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-21-2020, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
That's my favorite position. Two of my three guitars have it there. The other one, I do not perform much with so it makes less difference. Nicely decided!

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-22-2020, 05:49 AM

You don't have to drill anything. Just run a sheetrock screw with a fender washer through the strap and into the guitar's heel.

That strap ain't comin' off...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-22-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
You don't have to drill anything. Just run a sheetrock screw with a fender washer through the strap and into the guitar's heel.

That strap ain't comin' off...
Fine approach if you are willing to risk splitting the heel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion