The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
You know we/I like to tease you about not having the 30 once in a while, but I believe you will be repaid for that grand gesture many times over.
Thanks John I hope you're right! The teasing doesn't bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
I have a blue X30 that I SHOULD sell..... but I consider it my "campfire guitar," nothing else can produce that kind of volume/richness but still be camping-proof. Do I really have the courage to let it get zinged by cinders? Well... time will tell. But I've thought several times of selling it and just can't.
If I were you I would keep doing it that way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
For those who are considering the X20 vs X30, might I suggest: the X20 AND the X30.

Seems to have worked for Kramster.
Great suggestion Cap. I was hoping you would tell me that I could take a nap as well. I'm at work so that would be a bonus. Getting paid to sleep.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Is the X30 significantly louder than the X20?

And for light fingerstyling, is the X20 with less mass more responsive than the X30?

Thanks for any insight.
The X30 is definitely louder than the X20, which is to be expected, but not by a landslide. I used a dB meter to measure the volume of each of my guitars and the X30 was the loudest. I wouldn't call it a lab test by no means just to give a rough idea.

Regarding the fingerpicking, again I can only speak for my own guitars, but here's how I saw it. The X20 is lighter but it's a stiffer feeling guitar compared to the X30. It seemed like I got more volume from the X30 fingerpicking but I can't say for sure. Either way I wouldn't worry as they're both fine guitars for fingerpicking.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

I own one of each and really enjoy them both so it's kind of a toss up. If volume and a Bigger sound is your main goal than the X30 would be the overall choice. The X30 does feel some bigger to play but not a lot. As far as veneer I can't say that it effects the tone at all from what I can tell. If your budget can handle the veneer then of course you've seen how beautiful they can be.

My X20 is a Cocobolo woody which is very awesome in pictures and in person. My X30 is plain Carbon but Red finish and is also a looker though not near as flashy.

You can't got wrong with any of these choices really just what you are willing to pay for.

If I had to keep just one it would probably be the X20 as it covers all the bases and looks awesome doing it. If I was just going on tone & volume alone I would give the slight nod to my X30.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 10-23-2019, 09:41 AM

Thank you all for your comments, what I gather is that the X30 would sound more like a martin dred with the bass and depth while the X20 more like an OM with tighter bass and some sparkle.

Right?

Be & Remember ☮
Old 10-23-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post
Thank you all for your comments, what I gather is that the X30 would sound more like a martin dred with the bass and depth while the X20 more like an OM with tighter bass and some sparkle.

Right?
Well you can kind of look at it that way. I wouldn't say the X30 sounds like a Martin dread tonally but it has a big voice like a Martin dread but it's really nicely balanced. Mine had nice sparkly trebles as well. Describing the X30 tonally compared to the known wooden counterparts is difficult. I played all music genres on the X30 and it didn't miss a beat!

While the X30 and X20 are different tonally as well I will steer people who play dreads, GA's or jumbos toward the X30. People used to playing smaller guitars like OM's, 000's I would steer toward the X20. I remember way back when I was in the same scenario. I was close to pulling the trigger on the X20 and then the X30 was announced. There were no demos at that time so I took a leap of faith and got the X30 which for me turned out to be the right decision.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Luva says it right, Emeralds don't sound like Martins. I was playing a Martin OM-28 when I got my X-20, I love Martins, but the X20 tone was a lot more to my liking in that size a guitar. Sold the Martin pretty quickly.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Luva says it right, Emeralds don't sound like Martins. I was playing a Martin OM-28 when I got my X-20, I love Martins, but the X20 tone was a lot more to my liking in that size a guitar. Sold the Martin pretty quickly.

So with regards to bass, the x20 despite its larger size, seems closer to the OM bass response than to a dred. ThAts what I gather from the comments.

I think I want the size of the x20 and the depth of the x30, but that isn’t going to happen. Human greed [emoji849]

Be & Remember ☮
Old 10-23-2019, 02:05 PM

I don’t have any experience with the X30, so can’t comment on that. But I did recently purchase an X20, after debating the same question you are asking (x20 vs x30). Here is what I can say about the x20 that might be helpful to you:

The x20 shipped with 80/20 strings. I immediately didn’t like the sound of those and swapped in coated PB lights instead. Much better, much warmer. All my comments are based on using the PB lights. I’ll try a set of bluegrass gage strings at some point but haven’t done so yet.

I am still at the intermediate stage. Rhythm playing (lots of strumming, some clunky flat-picked fills or bass walks). No finger style. I like to play and sing.

I would not describe the tone of the x20 as “OM like.” I think a better comparison is a nice Taylor rosewood 414 or even 714 (and I think those are great guitars). The bass is very strong, and clear (meaning tight). The mids are also clear and tight too, it’s not just the bass. It’s not bass biased the way a dread is, but it’s not weak on bass either. It’s actually a very strong and deep and warm bass. But it’s not a “thumpy” or “muddy” bass the way many dreads are. By way of analogy — I feel like the x20 came with a nice audiophile grade closed-box subwoofer (as opposed to the thumpy ported subs that come with cheap system-in-a-box home theater packages).

Across the range, the x20 is well balanced. While it’s strong on bass, it’s not weak in midrange or treble. So the GA or mini jumbo body shape is a good reference point for tonal balance.

That said, the tone of the x20 is different than a wood guitar in a couple of notable ways. First, the sustain is longer and stronger. Notes and chords ring out quite a bit longer than any wood guitar I’ve played. Second, because of the thinness and stiffness of the carbon, it has stronger overtones. For example, if I strum a full G chord in first position, it sounds like the chord includes a high B (one octave above the 2nd string). I’m not actually playing that note, it’s an overtone. I only get that effect if I strum all six strings. The effect is so strong that others in the room can hear it too. My son described it as “some crazy vibration science thing.” I’ve noticed a similar effect with some other open chords. I’ve never experienced this overtone effect with a wood guitar. The result is that open chords actually feel fuller than a wood guitar. That’s a nice thing if you are playing solo but might not be desirable in all uses, you’ll have to decide.

I do like the tone quite a lot on the x20. But it’s not the traditional Martin dread tone due to the sustain and overtones. It’s a more modern sound, closer to (but not the same as) the Taylor GA sound. So if you want to precisely duplicate the old-time bluegrass sound this is not the guitar for you.

The x20 also plays better up the neck than most of the wood guitars I have played. Many / most wood guitars have lousy tone and / or poor intonation higher up the neck. X20 sounds good higher up. I don’t play higher up a lot but I do like the sound. That said 24 frets is too many, I’d rather have 20 frets and more space for picking. I like to have the flexibility to pick closer vs. further from the bridge depending on the tone I want. I ordered stock, but if I were to ever order custom, I’d go with fewer frets.

In terms of volume, my wood guitars are currently all GA or mini jumbo style (so full sized, 16” bouts). I don’t currently own a dread (but have in the past). The x20 is at least as loud as any wood guitar I’ve played, if not louder.

In terms of comfort, the x20 is wonderful. I play with a strap, even seated, and x20 works great for that. Feels thin and curvy and light. You get the volume of a full-sized guitar, but it feels smaller physically. Voodoo.

Stock Emerald neck shape is great for me. No issues with it.

Now that I have an X20, and considering x20 vs. what I “think” x30 to be, I would say:

Go with X20 if you are primarily playing for yourself
Go with X20 if you intend to play while you sing, un-amplified (volume is fine for this, and if the guitar were any louder, it would overpower most vocalists except perhaps opera singers)
Go with x20 if you intend to primarily perform amplified
Go with the x20 if you like to use a strap even when seated
Go with the x20 if you want an “all-rounder” to use for a variety of styles of music
Go with x30 if you intend to play un-amplified in a group setting where you really need high volume (but if you want to do bluegrass jams, you might first consider a Rainsong H-DR, which I understand will have more of the traditional bass-biased dread tonal balance that is important in that genre)
Get both if you can’t decide
Old 10-23-2019, 02:21 PM

Thanks a million. I still have a larrivee L05 and a Martin D21 special with the pyramid bridge. So I guess I’ll go with the x20.

I sold my D28 authentic and my two OM marquis. All of which were bass heavy.

I’m mainly a couch player. SO I guess the x20 would suit me better for now.

Cheers and thanks for the comment.

Be & Remember ☮
Old 10-23-2019, 06:18 PM
Guest 928

Blue Star;

Great review. Thank you.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:47 PM

Welcome to the forum BlueStar, and appreciate the review. I fully understand how hard (and perhaps ridiculous) it is to describe the "tone" of something to somebody else but this is truly well done.

You are a true enabler.

Makes me want one.

You will fit right in here.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Default X20 Baritone vs. X30

Benderman57 can you compare your X20 Baritone to your X30? I have an Artisan X20 baritone and have been curious how it would compare to an X30.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
Get both if you can’t decide
I can't believe I'm agreeing, I mean reading this.
Emerald X10 Black Level 3
Old 10-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamill View Post
Benderman57 can you compare your X20 Baritone to your X30? I have an Artisan X20 baritone and have been curious how it would compare to an X30.
Hey Steve,

I've never done a direct comparison as my X20 Baritone lives at our practice hall. I would think they would sound similar but really I tune a regular scale length guitar down a step to D for playing live on my Takamine dread. It works fine and I'm happy with it. But, that little bit of extra scale length on the Baritone when tuning down really is the magic I think. It just sounds full with piano like low end. If it had a better sounding pickup system I'd be playing it live but it pails in comparison to my Taks with dual pickup system.

I would think an x30 baritone could be overkill in low end but now sure about that?
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 10-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Talking Thanks benderman57

I tune my Goodall jumbo down to D and have been keeping the X20 bari in Bflat variants. I’m curious if an X30 might crossover these two areas effectively. On the other hand maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to add an X30 to my collection.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber