The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-09-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

The more I watch her videos, the more I like her. She's not just another fast kid with a flat pick. She draws and enhances the tone out of the guitar with her style.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-10-2019, 03:30 AM

I have been watching this video a fair bit lately - the sheer joy that comes through from the players as they interact is infectious!

(if you can't spare the time to watch it all right now, skip to 21.30 or so for the final tune - magnificent!)

Last edited by ocarolan; 07-10-2019 at 03:33 AM. Reason: got the time wrong!
Old 07-10-2019, 05:30 AM

IMHO Molly is the best flatpicker out there these days. No other than Bryan Sutton talks about the "deep pocket" in her playing, accentuating the music every time. A formidable player, and not yet thirty years of age.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:03 AM

I got lucky, being a guy who hates going anywhere, when a friend was at my kitchen table fiddling with her phone's 'event' app. She asked if I'd ever heard of Molly, who I had already been devouring on youtube. She got a notification that Molly would be at our local (Cooperstown) library in a small room the following Fri. I could hardly believe, but there she was playing a small room with her bass player, fiddler, and banjo picker. 20 bucks got me into heaven, though the folding chairs and empty white paint gallery room left something to be desired. I got up and sat along a wall, near enough to get a good look at the flashing brilliance of her picking. She plays and sings joyfully and seemingly effortlessly.

Hey...wanna' see someone with the same joy and skill? Check this out. I almost threw all my guitars in the woodstove after I saw this clip. I know many of you are already familiar.

Too many great players to keep track of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVlBPxSRlCQ

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
Martins- '07 OM-21, '19 0-18,
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog
Old 07-10-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Default pre war..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
no..it wasn't that guitar...it was her "pre-war" guitar....she recorded every song on her last album with it..except one...which she borrowed a small body Martin for that one song....it sounded amazing!!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Default craZy..

I've been on this forum for years...We live in a crazy "politically correct" world...sorry for showing a little personality..in what I thought was a light hearted way...it was meant to be a compliment...even a little funny....??..I really don't think the comment I made in the original post was inappropriate....but thanks to the mods for changing what I said......crazy!!

Last edited by $ongWriter; 07-10-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: words...a little ticked
Old 07-10-2019, 09:15 AM

Molly was recently here in Bakersfield. She played at Buck Owens Crystal Palace. Sierra Hull will be here in October.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Roll that woodstove over here...I got some extra firewood for ya!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
no..it wasn't that guitar...it was her "pre-war" guitar....she recorded every song on her last album with it..except one...which she borrowed a small body Martin for that one song....it sounded amazing!!
Yeah...this Preston Thompson dread was a guitar she used in a video posted on page two that someone asked about. Chris was just pointing out that it was in fact a Thompson guitar she was using in "that" video.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Default I wish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
I have been watching this video a fair bit lately - the sheer joy that comes through from the players as they interact is infectious!

(if you can't spare the time to watch it all right now, skip to 21.30 or so for the final tune - magnificent!)
I wish my right hand "could" move across the strings like hers does....simply amazing...and it looks effortless....
Old 07-10-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
...it was meant to be a compliment...even a little funny....??
I thought it was. Unfortunately, that might have come across if you were speaking, but not in writing.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-10-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I thought it was. Unfortunately, that might have come across if you were speaking, but not in writing.
Unfortunately, a young woman working in the bluegrass milieu is going to be exposed to some creepiness, it's a genre of music that is primarily appreciated by older men. But that doesn't mean it needs to happen here. I think we should afford Molly and her music the appreciation it deserves for her musicianship and amazing talent, in all the same ways we would if we were discussing a young phenom named Matthew Tuttle. There's no need for the rest of it. I am glad the mods protect the discussion here and keep it one of the few classy guitar forums on the internet
Old 07-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
Unfortunately, a young woman working in the bluegrass milieu is going to be exposed to some creepiness, it's a genre of music that is primarily appreciated by older men. But that doesn't mean it needs to happen here. I think we should afford Molly and her music the appreciation it deserves for her musicianship and amazing talent, in all the same ways we would if we were discussing a young phenom named Matthew Tuttle. There's no need for the rest of it. I am glad the mods protect the discussion here and keep it one of the few classy guitar forums on the internet
The same night I saw Molly...Jake Owen came out on stage..sang one song...I told my buddy..."now that is a good looking man"...wasn't meant in a bad or demeaning way...it simply is the truth...I wish I looked like him...and he can write and sing... (for what it's worth...please remove if this is not appropriate)..so yes...I probably would have said that about Matthew Tuttle...
Old 07-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
You said it much better than I could have. Thank you.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post

She’s simply brilliant! I’ll never know what it’s like to have that level of musicianship, so I enjoy living vicariously through videos like this...thanks for posting.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN