The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 10:13 AM

I almost NEVER see movies in the theaters these days but this summer sees two exceptions: Echo In the Canyon, which I saw a couple weeks ago, and Yesterday which I plan on seeing later today. Huge Beatle fan here and Ed Sheeran fan as well, so I'm expecting it to be worth my trip out.

By the way, if you haven't seen Echo In the Canyon yet, it was very good.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:22 AM

Can't wait to see it! Was in the Beatles Fan Club as a kid, so this'll be right up my alley.
scott
Old 06-29-2019, 10:52 AM

We also saw YESTERDAY.....yesterday and loved it. Lots of surprises even though I watched the trailer a few weeks back. I won't spoil it...just treat yourself and go. BTW it is a great family film. A few places with adult language but nothing kids have not heard before.

BTW two more films to add to your list. Downton Abbey with original cast in September and the new Midway film in November. I wonder if the new version of Midway will be as loud as the original.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 06-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Mikey, as it happens I do have a tenor voice, and when properly warmed up (on a good day) I can hit all the notes that Paul McCartney sang and recorded with the Beatles. But I often take things down a step or two; on Wednesday I sang “Let It Be” at a funeral, by request from the widow. McCartney wrote and recorded it in C, but I put it in A for that occasion.

I sang it solo on the verses but had the music group come in on the choruses, and A was definitely a better key for them.
whm
Wade, I’m envious. And btw you have a terrific voice. I’ve listen to several of your recordings for inspiration.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 06-29-2019, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the review. I read a negative one by a guy who seemed to be taking things way too seriously. Obviously a Beatles fan, he was complaining that the film wasn’t respectful enough of their music and its influence. Whatever. It looks entertaining to me. I hope I’m not being a spoiler, but the trailer has a funny scene where they’re trying to convince the lead character to sing “Hey Dude” instead of “Hey Jude.”
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 06-29-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review Wade. Glad to hear it’s enjoyable, wasn’t expecting -or needing- it to be a masterpiece, just fun. Sounds like it is that, so look forward to seeing it. Since it was mentioned earlier, it was years before I realized Paul tuned his guitar down a whole step for Yesterday; playing G chord structure, but with the song really being in key of F. So I’ve always sang it in G, not F. (Still do at age 64 . I never could do the “Oh Darling” chorus any justice though.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDave View Post
Wade, thanks for the review. I had seen a trailer, but didn't know the premise.
Usually, when we use the term "hit by a bus" we refer to an accidental death, not someone who can pass off The Beatles songs as their own [not that anyone is willingly going to try it for themselves].
When I was nineteen years old I actually WAS hit by a city bus in Kansas City, and it sent me flying about fifteen feet. Fortunately, the only damage it did was tear the knee of one my trouser legs; I had a bruise in that spot but was completely unhurt otherwise.

The bus had been going very slowly, just starting to pull away as the traffic light turned green. I must have stepped into the driver’s blind spot, trying to cross the street before the light turned.

I did black out momentarily during the impact, and came to sitting up against a plywood construction fence, legs stretched out in front of me. I was taken to the hospital for x-rays, and had to call my mother at her job to get permission to have the x-rays taken because I was still a minor.

THAT was a fun conversation: “Mother, it’s Wade, and I’m FINE, but I need to get your permission to have some x-rays taken, but I’m really okay, because, um, I got hit by a bus. But I’m NOT HURT, okay, really, I’m fine...”

Seriously, that’s what happened. Anyway, I got released by about 10:30 am (I’d been on my way to work,) and since I already had the day off I decided to go by the house where Duane Waterman was building my first mountain dulcimer for me. Normally I would go by after work and get there around 5:30 or 6, but this time I was showing up at 11 am.

Surprised to see me, in his smart alecky way Duane said:

“What are doing here so early? Why aren’t you at work? What happened, you get hit by a bus?”

“As a matter of fact, yes, I did.”

“No, seriously, what really happened?”

“Really - I got hit by a bus.”

“Yeah, right!”

“No, actually, it’s really true!”

It took Duane a while before he finally believed me.

Anyway, the point of regaling you with this incident from my youth is that, even though I did get hit by a bus and did momentarily lose consciousness, when I came to everyone in the world still remembered the Beatles! So I never got a chance to pass their songs off as my own, dang it!

To return to the guitars in the movie, if anyone else sees it try to figure out what Jack’s second guitar is. It doesn’t appear that my initial guess that it’s a CEO model of sort is correct.

whm
Old 06-29-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
Wade, I’m envious. And btw you have a terrific voice. I’ve listen to several of your recordings for inspiration.
That’s very flattering of you to say, Mikey, but I don’t consider myself to have all that great a voice; I consider it to be adequate at best. But it’s what I’ve got, so that’s what I use.

whm
Old 06-29-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review. I plan on seeing it tomorrow
Old 06-29-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post
Thanks for the review. I plan on seeing it tomorrow
See if you can figure out what model his second Martin is. I first noticed it in the scene where he’s being interviewed on James Corden’s TV show, and he seems to use it for the rest of the movie.

whm
Old 06-29-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I have the same tendency, and a spouse willing to bear the burden too.

Won't help with guitars (a pedantic area I am so sure I have covered anyway) or airplanes, but this site is great for foreign models or cars too rare or old to be common in my youth.

Internet Movie Cars Database
Yeah we like British crime series like Midsomer murders, Foyles War, Poirot etc. many filmed in places familiar to us with prewar, wartime, post war time zones.

The vehicles all have their original registration plates so I type in that and get full details of the make, model, and in what films tv series they were used.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Himesh Patel, who plays Jack, has a good strong tenor voice and does justice to the songs.

Wade Hampton Miller
Just from the trailers it is clear that Patel has a great tenor voice. I'm looking forward to it. Looks like a nice fun movie.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Well I’m in the theatre now. Somehow I managed to convince my wife to go tonight even though she hates crowds. Me, I love a pumped up crowd at the movies! I usually don’t get to see anything until it’s just about to leave the theatre, so I had to agree to arrive about an hour early. I think it will be worth it.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 06-29-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Just from the trailers it is clear that Patel has a great tenor voice. I'm looking forward to it. Looks like a nice fun movie.
It was hearing him in the trailers that convinced me to go. The thing I hated most about “Walk The Line” was that the director allowed Joaquin Phoenix do his own singing, and while his acting was fine, his singing was....let’s just say it didn’t measure up to Johnny Cash’s singing. The same thing was true about the Hank Williams movie that Tom Hiddleston starred in: his singing sounded insipid, so I didn’t even bother to see that one.

Not “Yesterday,” thank heaven. He doesn’t sound like the Beatles, but it’s a totally different sort of story, and he is quite enjoyable to listen to.

whm
Old 06-29-2019, 06:53 PM

Sounds like a silly movie. Nobody gets hit by the proverbial bus anymore. It's 2019. People get hit by texting drivers.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion