The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-14-2019, 01:44 PM

I would like to see something like this on an Emerald...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu2-dD3BP-E/

I know Alistair is familiar with chameleon paint because he used it on the Steve Vai Ultra Zone guitar.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 07-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

So I got the ransom note for the Emerald a couple of days ago and was debating on whether to have it shipped or wait to pick it up in person at the factory on August 14th. Because I am, if anything, impatient, I chose shipped. Alistair said in a note he thought I was going to wait and get it in person, so weakling that I am, I cancelled the ship option and am going to wait and get it in person instead. I havenʻt seen the final product with the red paint on it, but did get an in progress photo from him that looked good. Iʻm excited to get it. Iʻm glad now that I wasnʻt able to cancel the order when finances were really tight (I had three custom guitars all due at the same time - one got moved up months in the cycle). I am selling my Taylor custom to help finance this but it is well worth it. I am finding I like nylon more and more, and the Santa Cruz Firefly and the Emerald Kauai X7 are the only steel string guitars I need. This new X7 nylon and the DeVine classical I have coming will make up my nylon stable and Iʻll probably try to sell my Cordoba when that one arrives.

It should be a good trade on the 13th. I have the proof copies of the Emerald book in both coffee table (landscape hardcover) and the softcover version to give Alistair in exchange. I wanted to post them on my Facebook page when they arrived but I refuse to let him see them until in person - I figure it is a fair trade for him making me wait to open my custom Kauai X7 and waiting to get this new one. Now, the waiting...August 13th canʻt get here soon enough.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass

Last edited by wickedwahine; 07-24-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Duh...I said the 14th, we meet the 13th.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:37 AM

August 14 is not that far away, but I too would have opted for shipping now. A bird in the hand....

We look forward to buying a hard copy of the book when available. I'm old school and like my books to be tangible things. Good on you for making Alistair wait - he certainly has been responsible for enough waiting and drooling on this side of the pond.

This whole guitar thing is....interesting. At the moment I could be happy with my X20 as my only guitar for the rest of my days, as it fits me perfectly and sounds great. But it wasn't available 30 years ago and I had to go through all the other guitars over the years to know what really works. What was a "lifetime guitar" in 1991 is long gone, and my tastes have changed again over even the last 10 years. There is no destination. There is only the journey.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:25 PM
Guest 928

August 14--that's like seven dog months. I don't know how you stand it.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:43 PM

The new X7 is my favorite shape. Looking forward to your thoughts/pics when it arrives!
Old 07-19-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
August 14--that's like seven dog months. .
At least that many!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-19-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
August 14th canʻt get here soon enough.
If you happen to see anything there with my name on it, send me a picture or the item. Your choice. Have a fun trip.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-24-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
Now, the waiting...August 14th canʻt get here soon enough.
I am guessing you are going to rent a car while you are there. Watch out for their predatory insurance. There's a European credit card that should cover the insurance, but if you don't have it then you may have to pay an extra bunch of euros per day in order to get a car.

On another note, if you don't have a place to stay yet you might want to talk to Alistair or Kim before booking an Air B&B. His mum has some rentals in the Portsalon area that might be available for you.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I am guessing you are going to rent a car while you are there. Watch out for their predatory insurance. There's a European credit card that should cover the insurance, but if you don't have it then you may have to pay an extra bunch of euros per day in order to get a car.

On another note, if you don't have a place to stay yet you might want to talk to Alistair or Kim before booking an Air B&B. His mum has some rentals in the Portsalon area that might be available for you.
Thanks very much for the tips. We have a car rented but I think we are going to take the train instead from Belfast to Londonderry. The idea of driving on the “wrong” side of the road is freaking my spouse out. Haha.

We got a hotel in Derry. I originally booked one in Donegal but Alistair said it would actually be closer to get the Derry one.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 PM

Have fun. Driving on the "wrong side" of the road isn't too difficult. The worst part is when you are at a stop and turning left or right.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:01 AM
Guest 928

For ten years I took numerous trips through Mexico. that's where I learned to take a bus or hire a driver. Driving on the wrong side of the road would not work for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber