The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 05:46 AM

I bought one because my oldest friend has a part-laminate '57 original and I love his. Sadly the SJ I bought was hugely disappointing. Cosmetically the back strip was misaligned and the cactus flowers on the pickguard began to wear off after a couple of weeks (they used to be engraved, now they're cheap crappy screenprints), and tonally it just didn't work for me. It certainly didn't look or sound like a top of the line instrument.
Another poster suggested the Advanced Jumbo as an alternative; I concur 100%. It's simply a stunning guitar and the finest acoustic made by Gibson.

Last edited by AndrewG; 02-07-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:53 AM

I can't.

Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-07-2019, 06:01 AM

Ahhh the ‘whispering giant’. The skinny neck is what keeps me from this model and modern Gibson’s in general. It’s tonally a great guitar but it feels like your playing a pencil!

For strumming there is surely no better guitar though (the hummingbird would be my other prime choice).
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 02-07-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
I stare at these all the time. I know it's just a guitar. They're all just wood and tension and strings, it won't change my life, it won't be better than the others.

But I want one.

Can you talk me out of it? Comfort me that it's not the most wonderful guitar ever?

.................or is it????
Quote:
I stare at these all the time. I know it's just a guitar. They're all just wood and tension and strings, it won't change my life, it won't be better than the others.

But I want one.

Can you talk me out of it? Comfort me that it's not the most wonderful guitar ever?

I have a 2015 J200 New Vintage Ultimate. It has the baked Adi top. I can tell you my thoughts bearing in mind opinions are subjective.

It's a big guitar but I find it very comfortable. (Im a short arse) It has a deep rich tone but the sustain dies down quite quickly (ideal for heavy strumming) probably due to its maple construction. Not as loud as my Bourgeois OMS (the loudest guitar I've ever come across) or my Guild D55 and not as articulate or refined as my Froggy Hog K Ltd

I find it's a fantastic finger picking guitar too as the neck is very comfortable and very easy to play. Lots of saddle height on mine.

Fit and finish...I've seen better but hey, it's a mass produced instrument.

It's a beautiful looking guitar though. Light as a feather but it feels more robust than a J45.

If you're gassing for a J200, get one as there are no substitutes.

If it was the only guitar I had, I'd be satisfied that it would handle everything I needed in a guitar.

Hope that's helpful

Keith
Old 02-07-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I had one (a True Vintage) for several years. It was a great strummer but I really don't strum much. Played with bare fingers, it was a struggle to get the sound from it thast I could easly get from other guitars. In the end, I traded it and haven't missed it at all. I took a bit of a bath on it when I moved it forward but it was the right thing to do as I really wasn't playing it much at all.

Fell for the looks, disappointed by the sound.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:06 AM

Default Could someone talk me out of an SJ-200 Gibson?

You came to the wrong place...
Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 AM

I dunno how to talk you out of it, so I nope.

I waited a long time, and bought one in 2016. best acoustic guitar I've ever owned, (had a bunch)

I can't agree with the saddle height comment, I've plenty of break angle, and mine was setup, and some of the bridge was sanded down to drop the action for my hands, I still have plenty of break angle.

I do wish they'd improve the flubber guards tho. I have a real small spot that likes to lift up.. I just press it back down and it stays put for a few days.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:

They're expensive. I used to think it was the ultimate acoustic. Then I got my jumbo New Hartford-built Guild F-50R. For about one-third the price. Gorgeous ebony fretboard. Abalone rosette. AAA top with silking to die for. (Mine even came with emeralds inlaid on the bridge pins.) You want an arched maple back? get the F-50 standard.) I no longer GAS for the SJ200. This jumbo Guild is one awesome guitar.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-07-2019, 09:26 AM

I love the way these guitars look, but I never played one that didn't sound dead.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 02-07-2019, 09:37 AM

Ditto to what DCCougar said. I played SJ-200's and Guild F-50R's and ended up with the F-50R. A personal decision but I liked the neck/playability more and found the tone better on the F-50R. Just my one cent, I don't have two today.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:57 AM

Did you try SJ-100 ?
Not that same great look but the sound is there for a lower price... ;-)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:12 AM

It is not for me to try and talk anybody not buying or not buying a guitar. If we all played the same thing it would get awful boring out there. That said, the Gibson that has been with us the longest is a 1960 J-200. If there is a model that folks are never indifferent to it is this one. You either cannot live with one or you can leave them. Objectively, ours is an amazing sounding guitar and is the pinnacle of craftsmanship as Gibson only turned out a hundred or so a year with the white wood foreman selecting the top wood and such. I do not know if it is true or not but the story is they tap tuned each top.

But I am one of those who can leave them. I just prefer the sound of an old J45/J50/SJ. My wife on the other hand loves it and it has remained her only six string acoustic for a couple of decades. Also keep in mind ours has a very different build than the Bozeman versions. It is a heavy guitar with a laminate maple body and like the pre-War SJ-200s has a second extremely wide angle brace above the soundhole.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:01 AM

I played several last year at Wildwood. Knew that I could not afford one at the time (still can't) so kept the lust under control.

What impressed me the most was their superb playability . . . fabulous low action. Reminded me of a Strat!

Would love to have one; decision is natural or SB.

Good luck with your quest, OP.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:16 PM

I don't think it's the most wonderful guitar ever. But I want one too...

I've played a few in stores and I think they have a fantastic middle range voice. I expected a big bass but they really shine in the mid-range to my ears.

Ditto to what others have said on setup. It seems as though they arrive totally in need a a setup. I played one that was awful. Came back 2 weeks later after the shop gave it a once over and WOW!

I won't buy any new guitars until I sell a few first. But the two guitars I want to buy are an Emerald and a Gibson J200 Montana Gold.

My advice is to make sure you can try it out first and then only if it's had a proper setup.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:01 PM

I bought a J-100, and it did not make me want a SJ-200 any less.

What are you waiting for? Great guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion