The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-26-2018, 05:39 AM

Default Luthier Stories - Catching up with Leo Buendia

Hello everyone!

I hope you've had a wonderful holiday so far, spent with family and loved ones. I'd also like to wish you all the very best for the year to come. 2018 has been a wonderful year and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support of my YouTube channel and in particular the Luthier Stories series.

With that in mind I'd like to share this interview I filmed during a recent visit to one of the epicentres of the modern age of guitar building, The Bay Area in California. I spent time with several wonderful luthiers who I've been proud to call my friends for many years and the first video from this trip features the extremely talented Leo Buendia. I hope you'll enjoy it!

and the guitar I am holding throughout the interview (a stunning MDC) is featured in this video right here.

I look forward to sharing more from my stay in California with you soon. Until then all the best to you and yours

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:04 AM

Thanks very much Michael for the very informative videos you make. It's quite the unique content there !

Who's gonna be the next Luthier ?

Avalon Custom Auditorium Fan Fret Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
Furch 34 SR Stahl (custom) - Sitka/EIR
Classical Hanika 58CF - Alpine/Cocobolo
Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
Alvarez MSD1 - Cedar/Mahogany
Breedlove C25 - Cedar/Mahogany
K-Country 1975 - Sitka/Mahogany
upcoming :
Michaud Made OM-R - ARW/ Swiss "moon"
Astrand A-OM - MRW - Euro Bearclaw
Old 12-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Smile Buendia en espanole!

The interview in Spanish should be big fun...

I Love singing in Spanish, and need more songs!

Thanks Michael and Leo

Paul (Pablo). Haha
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I very much enjoyed this interview (even with the subtitles). Rather than being all about bracing and sound hole placements, it was all about the human aspect of guitar building. I especially enjoyed the story of his relationship with Ervin Somogy.

I have always suspected that great guitars do not come from building techniques, they come from the intelligence a great builder invests in each aspect of the build. Leo is clearly an emotionally intelligent and passionate person which I am sure translates to his guitars. You cannot teach that. You cannot manufacture that.

Thanks Michael,

Steve
Old 12-26-2018, 01:32 PM

If it's an interview - as this is - then I like to listen while working on-screen with something else. Efficient.

I'd predict a whole host of us non-Spanish speakers can't find >30 min to watch this. Any chance of a translated voice-over? I know that's asking a lot of you but I'm sure you're missing a chunk of audience in this day and age when every second counts...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12-26-2018, 04:36 PM

As always Michael, I enjoyed this very much. Is there nothing you can't do? Fluent in Spanish as well as playing! This should come in handy for you in San Antonio in March lol!

It was very nice to get a very insightful look at Leo, I think he did a great job of opening up to the "where this comes from" in his native language. I don't think we would have gotten the same feel if done in English.

Thank you.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosskate View Post
Thanks very much Michael for the very informative videos you make. It's quite the unique content there !

Who's gonna be the next Luthier ?
Thank you for watching! I'm glad you enjoyed it. The next video will be real for your enjoyment (I hope) in the next couple of days. I don't want to ruin the surprise but I will say this. It involves a superb OM in Black Walnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
The interview in Spanish should be big fun...

I Love singing in Spanish, and need more songs!

Thanks Michael and Leo

De nada! Thank you for watching Paul!

Paul (Pablo). Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I very much enjoyed this interview (even with the subtitles). Rather than being all about bracing and sound hole placements, it was all about the human aspect of guitar building. I especially enjoyed the story of his relationship with Ervin Somogy.

I have always suspected that great guitars do not come from building techniques, they come from the intelligence a great builder invests in each aspect of the build. Leo is clearly an emotionally intelligent and passionate person which I am sure translates to his guitars. You cannot teach that. You cannot manufacture that.

Thanks Michael,

Steve
You're very welcome Steve! I am as fascinated by the luthiers I have met over the years and their creative approaches as I am by the beautiful instruments they dedicate their lives to making. You're absolutely right, this sort of EQ and passion can't be taught or bought. It's an innate part of the man himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
As always Michael, I enjoyed this very much. Is there nothing you can't do? Fluent in Spanish as well as playing! This should come in handy for you in San Antonio in March lol!

It was very nice to get a very insightful look at Leo, I think he did a great job of opening up to the "where this comes from" in his native language. I don't think we would have gotten the same feel if done in English.

Thank you.
Thank you Tom! And yes, I can't wait to be over there for your amazing weekend!
I think it's natural to feel on the back foot when being interviewed in a language that in which you are not a native speaker. In talking with Leo over the few years I've met I've been struck by how articulate and precise he is when speaking in Spanish. It's asking a lot of anybody to have that level of insight and expression in another language, it's rare enough in one!

All the best

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 12-27-2018, 04:33 PM

¡Fantástico! Gracias por hablar español Cuando nos reunamos en Texas para B.I.G., debemos hablar en español.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
¡Fantástico! Gracias por hablar español Cuando nos reunamos en Texas para B.I.G., debemos hablar en español.
Well if you do, you can talk behind my back right in front of me, as I will not know what you are saying LOL.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I will have to check this out later. Leo is a great guy, and I love his work. I’m fortunate that I can have lunch with him pretty frequently. He works quite close to my office.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Enjoyed this very much. Leo's work stands out, a true artisan.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
De nada hombre! I look forward to seeing you in the lone star state!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Well if you do, you can talk behind my back right in front of me, as I will not know what you are saying LOL.
I'll hold up subtitles Tom, don't worry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I will have to check this out later. Leo is a great guy, and I love his work. I’m fortunate that I can have lunch with him pretty frequently. He works quite close to my office.
Very true! I hand't realised you were so close by, next time I'll in Oakland maybe we can get together over lunch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naluguy View Post
Enjoyed this very much. Leo's work stands out, a true artisan.
Yes indeed, he's a talented guy and an amazing person. That all shows in his work!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 01-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Very true! I hand't realised you were so close by, next time I'll in Oakland maybe we can get together over lunch?

Yes, that would be great. I was wondering how you were able to conduct an interview in Spanish and was reminded you were born in Ecuador. I try speaking with Leo, but I can’t remember a lot.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

You guys are my HEROS....!!!
Old 01-04-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Yes, that would be great. I was wondering how you were able to conduct an interview in Spanish and was reminded you were born in Ecuador. I try speaking with Leo, but I can’t remember a lot.
Well, birthplace was no guarantee in my case sadly, I grew up in the UK from the age of 2 and my Spanish is now buried under a layer of Greek too so I'm pretty rusty. Fortunately I have friends like Leo who let me butcher their beautiful language...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
You guys are my HEROS....!!!
Ha! Thank you Dave!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop