The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-24-2016, 01:04 AM

Default 4 metal posts inside a Rainsong

I recently purchased a used Rainsong. There are four 1/2" high x 1/2" diameter metal posts forming the corners of a 3" per side square glued inside to the back of the guitar down by the bottom edge. There was a plastic piece that sat on the four posts. It has four caps that fit onto the four posts, and has four caps on the top side as well to allow four additional posts to be inserted into the plastic adapter. The plastic adapter is in the shape of an X. I called the factory--they had no clue what it might be used for. I have pics and a link to the pics below. Anyone know what the posts are?
Four posts:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B93...ew?usp=sharing
Plastic adapter piece:
Old 11-24-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raincloud View Post
I recently purchased a used Rainsong. There are four 1/2" high x 1/2" diameter metal posts forming the corners of a 3" per side square glued inside to the back of the guitar down by the bottom edge. There was a plastic piece that sat on the four posts. It has four caps that fit onto the four posts, and has four caps on the top side as well to allow four additional posts to be inserted into the plastic adapter. The plastic adapter is in the shape of an X. I called the factory--they had no clue what it might be used for. I have pics and a link to the pics below. Anyone know what the posts are?
Four posts:
Plastic adapter piece:
That is a very hard thing to describe! I'm glad you posted some good pics, you have nothing to worry about (but might want to remove them if you have a pacemaker or know someone else who will play the instrument that has one).

I have no affiliation with Tonewood Amp but I do own one and love it. What you see is the mounting kit for the Tonewood Amp. Those are 4 very strong neodymium magnets. The white pads are double-sided adhesive and you can choose to remove it if you like, but it won't harm your guitar or it's tone if you leave them in there. The device is getting great reviews and you can find information all over the web, but here are a couple videos; one talks about the installation, the other is one of my favorite videos of the device's capabilities:

Old 11-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Interesting - I've been living under a rock, and this is the first I've heard of these. I wonder if my Shorty (no electronics) would work well with one of these and a passive undersaddle or K&K?

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
Interesting - I've been living under a rock, and this is the first I've heard of these. I wonder if my Shorty (no electronics) would work well with one of these and a passive undersaddle or K&K?
It works spectacularly and that is the exact set up I have; Shorty ►K&K pure mini►Tonewood Amp.

BTW, I'm impressed with the K&K in the Shorty in general- such a powerful clear sound. The Tonewood Amp doesn't really increase volume but it does increase presence and is perfect for playing/ finding inspiration when practicing. The reverb and delay sound glorious, nice pure analog sound. It also has a line out to go into an amp or PA and works very well (but I've yet to try it live, only into my amp at home). The device is very well thought out and has programmable memory and even notch filters that can be tailored and stored for up to 2 different guitars!
Old 11-24-2016, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Sean - I assume you used the Pure Mini in your Shorty? I haven't used K&K in about 15 years, I put one in my first Tacoma bass.

(Sorry for the hijack, raincloud!)

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
Old 11-24-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Sean - I assume you used the Pure Mini in your Shorty? I haven't used K&K in about 15 years, I put one in my first Tacoma bass.

(Sorry for the hijack, raincloud!)
Yes, installed it myself. LOVE this pickup!
Old 11-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Sweet - thanks! I just sent K&K an email to see if they can offer a "normal" (i.e. not endpin) jack on a Pure Mini. I use straplocks and despise endpin jacks.

Ken
Old 11-24-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Sweet - thanks! I just sent K&K an email to see if they can offer a "normal" (i.e. not endpin) jack on a Pure Mini. I use straplocks and despise endpin jacks.
I'm not sure what the differences are. Would the setup you envision work with the Tonewood Amp should you go that route? (all the videos I've watch have the signal feed going through the tail block of the guitar).
Old 11-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

It should be no problem - the jack would still be there, just not coaxial with the endpin. Some brands come this way - for example, my friend's Ibanez. I wonder if the Tonewood would work with my reso? Lol

Ken
Old 11-24-2016, 05:30 PM

Ok... mind blown! So many times I wanted something like this.

I wonder if there is any way to run a looper (ditto or whatever) through it? Would it cause frequency clashes? The delay would basically have different parts playing at the same time, similar to a looper. It would certainly work if you just wanted to take a break and have some music play... through your dormant acoustic... too cool!
Old 11-24-2016, 06:53 PM

Default Thanks

Mystery solved. Thanks for the response Sean.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
It should be no problem - the jack would still be there, just not coaxial with the endpin. Some brands come this way - for example, my friend's Ibanez. I wonder if the Tonewood would work with my reso? Lol
LOL! I'm not sure how good that would sound. I do think the distortion effect on your incoming Balor would sound killer though

BTW, the TWA is $239 with the cost of the first mounting kit included. Additional mounting hardware is only $12 a piece, so you can basically transfer the TWA to whatever instrument you wanI.

I even spotted fingerstyle master Don Alder using a TWA on an Emerald Amicus on his facebook. Pretty cool.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raincloud View Post
Mystery solved. Thanks for the response Sean.
No problem- enjoy your RainSong. Great guitars!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

So, raincloud - which RainSong did'ja get?

Ken
Old 11-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Default TWA video

Here is my friend Mike Gallaher playing a variety of music styles on the TWA, including on a nylon string as well as regular steel string acoustic.

Enjoy!

Jim

https://youtu.be/E7wqmOy-hlI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber