The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-04-2016, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X20 incoming!!!

Just pulled the trigger on an Emerald X20 Artisan in amber color and with the LR Baggs Anthem (upgrade) pickup in it. I am SO excited to get a new guitar, which for me has been a very long time. After reading reviews and comparing pricing, I think the Emerald is a very good value. The hard part is buying sight unseen (so to speak) and unplayed by me. That said, the reviews are good and the YouTube videos with people playing them sounds very good.

Since Emerald is located in Donegal, Ireland, it's going to be a week or so before it arrives. They happened to have this one in the shop ready to go, but have to change the pickup out from the standard LR Baggs Element that's already in it over to the Anthem.

Can hardly wait.........!!!

Old 11-04-2016, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

You'll be happy with the X20. After owning just about all the Carbon made guitars out there I've stuck with the Emeralds.

They just have something very special going on with this Design!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 11-04-2016, 09:27 AM
Guest 928

Congratulations! It's a beautiful guitar and one that plays and sounds like a dream.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:59 PM

Default Jelled to the max!

I was wondering about the lag time. I was quoted 5 month. But that for a woody.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:19 PM

Default Nice amber

It will be there before you know, enjoy it with your favorite tea
Old 11-06-2016, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

My X7 arrived in south Texas from Ireland in just 4 days, including a weekend. Some have suggested that it was very fortunate timing and routing (plane landing just in time to get it on the truck sort of thing)... but I am inclined to believe it was due to good, clean living.

Might give you an idea of what to expect.

I'll be looking forward to your impressions of the X20. Congrats!

Jim
Old 11-06-2016, 07:32 PM

If I ever order an X-20 I would probably go the more affordable route and get the Opus instead of the Artisan.

Were I to buy an Artisan that is the color I would want though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-06-2016, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

That looks great, very fortunate of you to have one very soon, please tell us more about it when you receive it.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
If I ever order an X-20 I would probably go the more affordable route and get the Opus instead of the Artisan.

Were I to buy an Artisan that is the color I would want though.
I own one of each and unless you want a color or woody veneer the Opus is really every bit the guitar the Artisan is in my opinion.

The slightly lower grade tuners are still very nice and I really think I might like the pebble finish on the back & sides a little more than the High Gloss. It grips your leg a little better if you are a sit down player as I am.

I like them both mind you and I just ordered a Custom Woody Artisan but if budget was an issue I would not hesitate to tell anyone just how great the Opus model stacks up against the fancier Artisan model.

I hear or feel no difference in the quality at all.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 11-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
My X7 arrived in south Texas from Ireland in just 4 days, including a weekend. Some have suggested that it was very fortunate timing and routing (plane landing just in time to get it on the truck sort of thing)... but I am inclined to believe it was due to good, clean living.

Might give you an idea of what to expect.

I'll be looking forward to your impressions of the X20. Congrats!

Jim
Hey Captain Jim!

Well, I'm not a Captain, probably more of a PFC........ :-) I know the pickup is swapped out, so it's just a matter of them shipping it out along with others they might be shipping........the wait is killing me, and I only paid for it and made it official on Friday last week!!

Yes, after I receive and have a chance to run it through it's paces I'll post back up with thoughts and my review. I'm sure it will be GREAT!!

Jim
Old 11-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Default X20 Artisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
That looks great, very fortunate of you to have one very soon, please tell us more about it when you receive it.
Yes, will do!!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
Hey Captain Jim!

Well, I'm not a Captain, probably more of a PFC........ :-) I know the pickup is swapped out, so it's just a matter of them shipping it out along with others they might be shipping........the wait is killing me, and I only paid for it and made it official on Friday last week!!

Yes, after I receive and have a chance to run it through it's paces I'll post back up with thoughts and my review. I'm sure it will be GREAT!!

Jim
Your excitement and anticipation comes through in that post - hope the wait is bearable; but, like a kid at Christmas, it can't come soon enough. My experience: the reality exceeded the expectation... probably doesn't help the anticipation, huh?
Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 PM

We all live vicariously through you.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

I played an Artisan, great sound, great neck all around. Really a wonderful instrument. The only issue I had was, based on its size and my body size and composition (5' 5" tall, very trim), it hit my rib cage at an uncomfortable spot, and I couldn't get comfortable playing it. I was so disappointed because everything else was awesome. Would love to see an Artisan with a rib bevel as well as an arm bevel, or perhaps a slightly larger model that has both. Looking forward to your review! You justifiably sound very excited.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I played an Artisan, great sound, great neck all around. Really a wonderful instrument. The only issue I had was, based on its size and my body size and composition (5' 5" tall, very trim), it hit my rib cage at an uncomfortable spot, and I couldn't get comfortable playing it. I was so disappointed because everything else was awesome. Would love to see an Artisan with a rib bevel as well as an arm bevel, or perhaps a slightly larger model that has both. Looking forward to your review! You justifiably sound very excited.
Did you try playing with something like the NeckUp ( https://www.neckup.com ) or the Barnett guitar support ( http://barnettguitarsupports.com ) or similar?

They support the guitar or (especially the Barnett) raise it up so that the position is more similar to a large body guitar.

It's another possible option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber