The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
I guess another way to look at it is this: Would you buy a guitar that was for sale, knowing it had been stored in a Rubbermaid plastic bin? Eventually the day will come when you need to sell one, and you must be transparent with the way it was treated in your care. Food for thought.
Steve
What's the difference? If it was humidified properly, why would that matter?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
What's the difference? If it was humidified properly, why would that matter?
I think if you're honest with yourself, it would matter. Look at most classifieds; they say "Always stored in it's case when not in use." That means a lot to a buyer. So what would you say in your ad? "Always stored in Rubbermaid container when not in use." All I'm saying (for the protection of the OP) is that first impressions matter. The way people visualize treatment matters for future transactions. It's part of protecting your investment. If you know you will never sell it, then no, it doesn't really matter.
Steve
Old 02-04-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I guess another way to look at it is this: Would you buy a guitar that was for sale, knowing it had been stored in a Rubbermaid plastic bin? Eventually the day will come when you need to sell one, and you must be transparent with the way it was treated in your care. Food for thought.
Steve
Um, I think that's a bit over the top. If there's no damage, why would the seller need to disclose how the guitars were stored?

I can see it now. "Martin D28 for sale. Mint condition. Disclosure: I let a smoker play it once."

Last edited by Bluemonk; 02-04-2020 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Removed stray apostrophe
Old 02-04-2020, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Um, I think that's a bit over the top. If there's no damage, why would the seller need to disclose how the guitars were stored?

I can see it now. "Martin D28 for sale. Mint condition. Disclosure: I let a smoker play it once."
Not over the top at all. I've been buying, selling, & trading guitars for years, & I ALWAYS ask about the guitar's environment. For fragile wooden boxes, that's very important!
Steve
Old 02-04-2020, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_t View Post
That’s a clever solution to a problem I also have. [emoji846]

Others have mentioned possible nitrocellulose finish damage from contact with the plastic; that definitely seems to be of concern. I wonder... does anyone think there might be finish damage due to off-gassing of the plastic? I don’t know if the gases contain the same reactive ingredients as the plastic itself, but might be worth considering.

You also mentioned using some foam - be careful with that as well as it, too, may react with the finish. You’d probably do better to get some natural fiber felt from the fabric store.
I'll second this suggestion. All cotton felt is safe and cheap. You can buy a yard of it for $2 or $3.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:01 PM

Count me among the naysayers, both in terms of the nitro finish touching plastic, and in terms of potential dings.

I wouldn't subject my guitars to such perils.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I think if you're honest with yourself, it would matter. Look at most classifieds; they say "Always stored in it's case when not in use." That means a lot to a buyer. So what would you say in your ad? "Always stored in Rubbermaid container when not in use." All I'm saying (for the protection of the OP) is that first impressions matter. The way people visualize treatment matters for future transactions. It's part of protecting your investment. If you know you will never sell it, then no, it doesn't really matter.
Steve
I would say "always stored in a properly-humidified environment". It would be strange for someone to then ask what my method of humidification was, but if they did, I'd say that I kept it in a properly-humidified storage chest that was monitored with multiple hygrometers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion