The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I agree, I love AGF and have listed a bunch of guitars on here, but have only sold a few. I've been able to sell for much more on Reverb.
What sort of guitars have you been selling? I think that plays a big role in what sells. Reverb has worked best for me for big names like Martin, Craigslist for folk instruments, and the AGF for bespoke guitars.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:43 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I always co-list on Reverb and AGF...with the link to the Reverb listing in the AGF thread. So technically the guitars have always sold on Reverb... but about a third of the time an AGFer has been the buyer. All transactions have been great. And I’ve made a few new guitar friends.

Really, what’s important when selling a guitar ANYWHERE is the price and the quality of the instrument. I’ve almost exclusively sold highend Martins, Taylors and Gibsons. All in excellent condition. All listed at a reasonable price. All sold quickly (within a week or two...a couple within days). And for a fair price (about 50% of MSRP).

Works for me...

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 01-12-2019, 06:14 PM

I think many of the guitars in the AGF classifieds are pretty good. The amazing bargains are infrequent, and are snapped up quickly.

There are a handful of sellers who list a lot of guitars and who reliably price them high. I don’t even click on their ads anymore.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 PM

I suppose it depends on what you consider a deal.

For me it has much less to do with price and much more to do with an instrument in beautiful condition and and worry-free transaction. Those two things are worth quite a bit of money to me.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

I’ve not found the AGF to be higher priced than other places, and I’ve purchased guitars on eBay, Reverb, in stores, Craigslist, you name it.

The listed price is often high as most sellers will reasonably expect to be asked for a price reduction. Some of my very best/easiest transactions have been on this forum. Most people on this forum know enough about guitars to properly advertise relevant issues (like the need for a neck reset, fret leveling, etc) and so I don’t get surprises when I buy stuff here. I’ve had some very bad luck with places like Reverb lately. One guitar described as “mint” was covered all over with dents, scratches, abuse. Not a huge deal. But my most recent was described as having no issues other than a few repaired cracks in the back. Not mentioned: 1) crack in the heel, 2) need for a neck reset, 3) cracked top seam, 4) loose saddle leaning forward 15-20 degrees, 5) frets so out of level you can’t get any sound on certain frets. Reverb will help you on some of these transactions, but I’d rather deal with the knowledgeable people here.

People with a high post count from AGF are the gold standard for sellers, in my experience, and I don’t really feel they charge more. Sometimes you have to be patient or drive a hard bargain.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade63 View Post
Ah but I got a good one, what's a few dollars extra?
YES!!!...EXACTLY THIS!!!^^^

Way wwwaaayyyyyy to many people on this forum are hung up on getting the best...meaning lowest...price, even at the expense of missing out on a stellar guitar that would be perfect for them...but for having to spend more than the rock bottom "best deal for me" price.

Tis a shame...but Good On You wade63. You "get" it!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 01-13-2019, 12:21 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I suppose it depends on what you consider a deal. For me it has much less to do with price and much more to do with an instrument in beautiful condition and and worry-free transaction. Those two things are worth quite a bit of money to me.
^ Bingo. Actually communicating personally with a fellow AGF guitarist is worth a little more to me. I believe that the overwhelming majority of sellers here represent their guitars honestly and want their buyers to be happy with their purchase. I can't always say that about eBay.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 PM

Glad I posted this, some nice comments to my somewhat obnoxious title. I agree with just about everything posted here, we feel the same. Truth be told, guitar shop is more of a hobby, have to have a real job for now. I'm lucky to sell a half dozen guitars in a year and make just a few dollars here and there. I just love guitars, like to trade, fix, wheel and deal. AGF is great. You folks are pretty savvy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion