The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
The Pens are in a serious slump. I’m hoping they pull out of it.
Yep. Things will come around.

How about the Blackhawks firing Joel Quenneville? Did anyone see that coming?
Old 11-07-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Boston

Go Bruins!
Old 11-08-2018, 06:36 AM

Caps beat the Pens last night (11/7) and Nashville won their 12th game last night. The Caps so frustrate me at times. They had a 4 min power play and only managed 1 shot on goal in 4 mins. I am also surprised that Nashville never seems to get any press yet they have the best record in the NHL and have not yet lost a game on the road.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:24 AM

I kind of like the low scoring games. Nothing excites me more than hearing the sound of the puck hitting the pipe and the crowd collectively gasping. Hockey is an awesome game.

That being said, the effect these kind of games frustrates me. Tempers ignite and stupid penalties happen. TJ Oshie is one helluva player - and I give him credit for playing through two massive hits - but that call against Malkin?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tim T View Post
Caps beat the Pens last night (11/7) and Nashville won their 12th game last night. The Caps so frustrate me at times. They had a 4 min power play and only managed 1 shot on goal in 4 mins. I am also surprised that Nashville never seems to get any press yet they have the best record in the NHL and have not yet lost a game on the road.
Do you ever go to see the Caps play? I saw opening night last year when the Caps hammered Montreal. I was in PA for business and took advantage of going to DC.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Many years ago when I pastored in Bowie, MD and the Caps played at U.S. Air Arena we went often. Tickets were easy to get and cheap. I now live on the eastern shore of MD (still not that far - an hour drive plus a 20 min metro ride) but Capital One Arena is expensive and tickets are a bit harder to get. Still - there's nothing like seeing the game live. We did see the victory parade in June - that was pretty neat being with 100,000 other crazy fans.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:58 AM

Bruins win 5-1 over the Maple Leafs. I watched the first period. Toronto was ahead in shots 20-5 when Boston scored their first goal.

Bergeron-Marchand-Pasternak ... what a great line.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:50 AM

The Penguins are like week old carp: they stink on ice.

Seriously, they're tied for last and there are so many questions:

1: what's up with Crosby's injury? "Upper body" is pretty ambiguous even if it's "not a concussion." Word is that it's a neck injury. That's almost as bad and I think a week off is overly optismistic.

2: what's up with Murray? He's mentally off his game. His glove hand has always been a point of contention.

3: what's up with Sprong? He's "finding himself" on the bench even though GM Jim Rutherford loves him and instead traded Hagelin (who was reputedly "beloved" by his teammates) to the Kings. I'm sensing that a battle between the coach and the GM is simmering to a boil and Sprong is the catalyst.

4: what's up with the team dynamics? Are they getting old and slow? Are they getting complacent? What's up with the stupid penalties then? Do they feel entitled? It's getting like the late 90s and it's only been a year or so since they last hoisted the cup. Now they're last? SMH.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
The Penguins are like week old carp: they stink on ice.

Seriously, they're tied for last and there are so many questions:

1: what's up with Crosby's injury? "Upper body" is pretty ambiguous even if it's "not a concussion." Word is that it's a neck injury. That's almost as bad and I think a week off is overly optismistic.

2: what's up with Murray? He's mentally off his game. His glove hand has always been a point of contention.

3: what's up with Sprong? He's "finding himself" on the bench even though GM Jim Rutherford loves him and instead traded Hagelin (who was reputedly "beloved" by his teammates) to the Kings. I'm sensing that a battle between the coach and the GM is simmering to a boil and Sprong is the catalyst.

4: what's up with the team dynamics? Are they getting old and slow? Are they getting complacent? What's up with the stupid penalties then? Do they feel entitled? It's getting like the late 90s and it's only been a year or so since they last hoisted the cup. Now they're last? SMH.
Well Neil, I share your olfactory evaluation of the Pens. They do stink. As to your questions, they're good ones. I don't necessarily have any good answers, but I'll give you my take:

1. I read this morning that Crosby's injury is neck related, and was sustained in the game against New Jersey. The reporter (Josh Yohe) also stated that Crosby was apparently okay after the game and that team officials and teammates are not overtly concerned about this being a "serious" injury.

I sure hope it's not serious because this team needs Sid on the ice ASAP!! Also having Brassard out with an injury at the same time makes the Pens center-position depth critically thin. Consider that the Pens had Malkin-Sheahan-Grant-Cullen centering their 4 lines against Tampa last night. I honestly think if we'd have had a healthy Crosby-Malkin-Brassard-Sheahan as our centers in that game the result would have been different.

2. Murray appears to be struggling mightily. Ironically, in the game last night his two best saves were made with his glove hand, but something is definitely off with his game. He doesn't appear calm and confident in net, which was his signature demeanor when winning a pair of Cups in his first two years. I don't think it's a coincidence that his play has been "off" since his father passed away during last season. By all accounts they were very close, and his father was a big influence in his life. Not sure if this is really a "sports" problem or how Murray would be best advised to deal with it.

3. Everything I've read suggests that Coach Sullivan and GM Rutherford are still compatico. Both are unhappy with the team's performance, and I think both share some of the responsibility for that performance in terms of player development/deployment and team personnel respectively. Daniel Sprong has become a lightning rod for criticism of Sullivan. His seeming intransigence regarding Sprong as a player who is not among the 12 forwards on the Pens who "can best help us win" is both confusing and disconcerting. This is a team which hasn't gotten a single goal from any of its 3rd or 4th line players since October 25th! Meanwhile Daniel Sprong, the Pens most talented forward prospect who scored 32 goals, and was an AHL All-Star last season, continues to be a healthy scratch while borderline NHLers such as Garrett Wilson (who has a total of "0 points" in his career 38 NHL games played) see regular ice time. Earlier in the season when Sullivan did allow Sprong to suit up for some games, he often got to play less than 5 minutes total per game. Still, Sprong managed to get 4 points in the very limited time he was used.

Rutherford recently traded Carl Hagelin (arguably the team's best defensive forward) because he was not producing points while skating on the top-two lines. Rutherford's stated concern about the lack of scoring from players not named Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Hornqvist has been a repeated mantra for most of the season. Even so, I've read nothing to indicate that Rutherford is concerned with Sullivan's handling of Sprong who could possibly be the best in-house solution to the problem. There seems to be, at the least, some very strange cognitive dissonance at work here between Sullivan and Rutherford concerning Daniel Sprong.

4. With the recent trading of Carl Hagelin there's no doubt that the Pens have gotten slower. With most of the core in tact from their back to back Cup wins, there's also the fact that they're almost 3 years older on average than when they won in the 2016-2017 season. Neither trend is a good one, especially based on the identity of the team as one based on skill and speed. Either Sullivan needs to find a strategy that better fits the current personnel, or Rutherford needs to make some deals to change the personnel to find a new identity. Either way, both Sullivan and Rutherford need to be on the same page, or this season will be a disastrous one for the Pens.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-16-2018, 04:54 PM

Word is Brassard may be back in the lineup tomorrow. I hope you’re right about Crosby. I blame last night’s loss on Geno, Kessel and Cullen for putting the Pens at a 5-3 disadvantage for 2-1/2 minutes after what looked like a pretty good first period. They did Murray dirty. Nothing gets in a goalies head more than a leaky defense.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:15 PM

I read an article about a few struggling goalies and Murray's name was included. The writer stated that perhaps some of these struggles are related to the new pads that goalies need to wear, i.e. the smaller size. Anyone hear anything about that?
Old 11-16-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I read an article about a few struggling goalies and Murray's name was included. The writer stated that perhaps some of these struggles are related to the new pads that goalies need to wear, i.e. the smaller size. Anyone hear anything about that?
With the new equipment regulations in place, all goalies have to deal with that issue. Perhaps some have relied more on the size of the pads being a critical part of their playing style than others. I suppose it's possible that Murray is one of those cases, but I've heard nothing specific in that regard.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-17-2018, 07:51 AM

Arh, Boston lost 1-0 in OT last night. Positive is that Rask is back and only gave up that single goal. Marchand had another 18 PIM last night, lol. He's lead the league in that stat most of the year.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Arh, Boston lost 1-0 in OT last night. Positive is that Rask is back and only gave up that single goal. Marchand had another 18 PIM last night, lol. He's lead the league in that stat most of the year.
Here we are again, saying the same thing again. What is with Marchand? He is a quality player, a real player; but he has to play the stupid clown. I do not get it.

Pens ain't lookin so good.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 11-17-2018, 10:27 PM

Am really enjoying the Oilers / Flames game. Old time hockey.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic