The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Incoming: RainSong Concert Hybrid Series OM

We have a beach cottage in Rhode Island that we spend time at each Summer. Being located right on the water, the humidity is amazingly high. It is an older cottage built in the 1930s with no AC. While usually comfortable due to the ocean breeze, it can get quite hot some days as well. As a result, I have perennially avoided bringing any of my handmade, wood acoustic guitars with me to the cottage each summer.

To solve this issue, I just ordered a RainSong Concert Hybrid OM (CH-OM1100NS) from one of the AGF sponsors (Ted @ LA Guitar Sales, https://www.laguitarsales.com/). He was both patient and helpful in guiding me through the options in the CF guitar that they sold.

I believe that this RainSong model that I chose was introduced earlier this year at NAMM 2017. It combines a high-gloss carbon fiber unidirectional carbon soundboard from the Concert Series with the satin carbon/fiberglas hybrid body of the Hybrid Series. I hoped that the satin neck finish might feel less sticky under hand in a humid environment than the high gloss finish on the neck of the Concert Series Shorty (SG) which offered similar features.

Basically, it is a 000 sized guitar with a Venetian cutaway, 12 frets to the body, 24-7/8" scale, 1-3/4" nut width with 18:1 tuners. It should arrive next Friday. I will be curious to see how I like it. Hopefully it will be the answer to long-term summertime constraint on my playing. I can leave it there all summer and have something to play without any fear of damage.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Please post your review when you get it Bob. My guess is that you won't be leaving that guitar at the cabin.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Please post your review when you get it Bob. My guess is that you won't be leaving that guitar at the cabin.
I will post my impressions...

It will just live at the cottage during the summer instead of taking one back and forth each week when we go. It is only a three season cottage. The rest of the year, if I like it it will be at home.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

It was a RainSong Shorty that started me on my carbon fiber journey - I have no doubt you will truly enjoy it. My wood guitars get very little play time these days. I have to agree with SteelVibe - you will probably not leave the guitar there after hearing what carbon fiber brings.

Congrats on this purchase! Be sure to post your impressions here... I get a kick out of the "discovery stage" with CF.

-----------------

On edit: Oops, didn't mean to repeat the "post your impressions" line; guess we were writing at the same time.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your new Rainsong... hope you enjoy!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Great guitar, congrats on the purchase. Enjoy!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I will post my impressions...

It will just live at the cottage during the summer instead of taking one back and forth each week when we go. It is only a three season cottage. The rest of the year, if I like it it will be at home.
You will like it, I'm pretty confident. What style do you like to play if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You will like it, I'm pretty confident. What style do you like to play if you don't mind me asking?
Jazz chord melody with a flat pick and fingers.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 PM

I have the "Concert" version of that guitar, rather than the "Concert Hybrid," but they are very similar. I absolutely love mine. I hope you love yours just as much.

Good luck, and play the hell out of it!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Jazz chord melody with a flat pick and fingers.
Thanks. I was asking because string choice matters a great deal with these guitars. I play predominantly fingerstyle and have found Martin Retro lights and Newtone Master Class Double Wounds to be my favorite. Nice warm mellow tone from both sets and great playability.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks. I was asking because string choice matters a great deal with these guitars. I play predominantly fingerstyle and have found Martin Retro lights and Newtone Master Class Double Wounds to be my favorite. Nice warm mellow tone from both sets and great playability.
Strings seem to matter on every guitar and are a personal choice. I will off course start out with the Elixir Nanoweb PB lights that it comes with; but like all instruments, I will see what works for me and lasts in a moist environment.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Strings seem to matter on every guitar and are a personal choice. I will off course start out with the Elixir Nanoweb PB lights that it comes with; but like all instruments, I will see what works for me and lasts in a moist environment.
I'm interested to know this since I've taken to bring my ca poolside and am afraid of the chemical exposure to stings and frets. Let alone dings. Mine sustained a good one few months back. Might make an interesting forum question.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 PM

Btw does anyone sleep on this forum Friday night. Hee hee
Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
Btw does anyone sleep on this forum Friday night. Hee hee
I'm retired, so I'm often up late...a bit of a nightowl, especially on the weekends. I still manage to get up no later than 8:30am.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 PM

Congrats, mine is the WS size also courtesy of Ted at LA Guitar. Enjoy and show us some pics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber