The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-08-2016, 10:50 AM

Default Top soundhole on emerald

Every thing i read about the X series with the sound hole on that top front is positive and I know the owners seem to love it. My issue is bad hearing from the standpoint of tinittus and loss over the years so having a sound hole directly under my left ear is of concern. Do any owners find it to be a bit loud?
I have lost a good deal of hearing over the past years and 12 on stage performing with a group, I wonder if this would contribute to more damage?
I understand they will make the standard front sound hole configuration if requested, I wonder how much it changes the tone? I have heard rumors of a new X10 coming back again and I assume it would be traditional placement...just some thoughts.
I understand I am in the minority but my Blackbird L13 had the soyndport on the top and I needed to plug it. To my ears it was annoying....
Old 11-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

This would be a tough call. To me I don't necessarily consider the guitar to be a lot louder, maybe somewhat though.

What I hear is all the details across the full spectrum when you play it. Also I would say clearer would be a good way to describe the tone.

I do think it would differ from the Blackbird with the soundport you had but to what extent would only be a guess at best.

I will say that I have a Breedlove that I keep at our practice venue that is a Dread Cutaway body that has a Side mounted soundport probably much like the Blackbird had. (It also has a center conventional soundhole as well)

To me the placement of the X20 port that runs from the side over to the face of the guitar differs not only in looks but the overall tone and projection.

Maybe someone on here might be close enough to you to allow you to audition an X20?
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 11-08-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Every thing i read about the X series with the sound hole on that top front is positive and I know the owners seem to love it. My issue is bad hearing from the standpoint of tinittus and loss over the years so having a sound hole directly under my left ear is of concern. Do any owners find it to be a bit loud?
I have lost a good deal of hearing over the past years and 12 on stage performing with a group, I wonder if this would contribute to more damage?
I understand they will make the standard front sound hole configuration if requested, I wonder how much it changes the tone? I have heard rumors of a new X10 coming back again and I assume it would be traditional placement...just some thoughts.
I understand I am in the minority but my Blackbird L13 had the soyndport on the top and I needed to plug it. To my ears it was annoying....
Well Jerry...I'll throw in my $.02 here... The way I play my guitar, the voice comes in stereo to my ears...neither to pronounced in either ear...I am sitting most of the time, and am finger picking, so if you are a standing strummer your experience might be different...
Hope this helps Amigo...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 11-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Mine is just a wild guess.....

Might it be possible that with a typical soundport, the air (sound/volume) is forced through a smallish hole and therefore more focussed and intense as it hits the player's ear, whereas a larger soundport that is pretty much equal in area on the top and upper bout side, allows the sound to be more dispersed and therefore, not overwhelming?

Here's another wild consideration. I would think that for singers, the X20 has an optimal soundport design where the vocal air can mix with the broad upward/outward sound emanating from the guitar to actually amplify the vocal. Any sense in this? You X20 owners would know.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:38 PM

All good points. I think because I play seated much of the time and play with a neck up that puts the guitar pretty close to lower chin area may have a more pronounced affect on me. More of a semi classical position neck up but on the right leg......
Old 11-08-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
....My issue is bad hearing from the standpoint of tinittus and loss over the years........ I wonder if this would contribute to more damage?........but my Blackbird L13 had the soundport on the top and I needed to plug it. To my ears it was annoying....
It's very doubtful that the acoustic guitar volume at your ear would contribute to any further hearing loss, with or without a sound port. But since your hearing is already stressed, it may continue to degrade, and that is likely true whether you are playing or not. Do you have similar issues when playing into a corner or facing a wall?

It is hard to quantify "annoying" but you know it when you hear it. My sound meters read out sound pressure level in dB with various frequency resolutions, but there is no good useful scale for annoying. The only thing I can say is that our CA Cargo has a upper left bout sound port, the WS-1000 has a center hole, and the Lucky 13 has both a center hole and a side sound port. They all sound pretty good to me. Since you felt the need to plug your L13 sound port, the location on the X20 probably matters a lot more to you than me. (I have some neurologically induced hearing loss on the left side but normal hearing on the right side still).

FWIW the Cargo sounds like a smaller, somewhat boxier version of the Lucky - to me, when I compare them directly. I've never played an Emerald, so no additional information there.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:18 PM

I hear you Earl,,,, pardon the pun...my hearing loss is due to military and police noise exposure over many years. Won't get any better that's for sure. But I still play and hope to for a few more years, just more conscious of exposure now trying to preserve what I have left.....
Old 11-09-2016, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jerry,

I have had some problems with tinnitus and hyperacusis. I have played the X20 and a Levioria with a sound port. I would not recommend those instruments with your situation. I wouldn't recommend those instruments even without your problem due to issues with directing the sound where desired, but that is a different story.

If you want to go easy on the ears, the CAs would be a good option especially with warm sounding strings (I have a CA GX with Red strings).

I also have an X10 nylon with a centered sound hole. This guitar is not as loud as the GX, so it doesn't cut through a group of players, but it is a perfect volume for causally playing and singing, and very easy on ears.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:16 AM

Default soundhole

Hi Jerry,
My X7 arrived today and I can give you a direct comparison to the BB with the top sound hole. I do not find the position of the Emerald sound hole to be like the port on the BB. Overall the guitar is more similar to the BB than the Rainsong SG in sound, and i think to the sound with the cover in rather than out on the BB.

Even though the hole is near the top, it still faces out rather than up and the way the guitar sits on your lap, it is more middle than you might think. I still can't figure how they got a guitar that is so short to feel normal size.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber