The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-06-2016, 09:04 PM

Default Emerald X7 Artisan Custom - my attempt at the "perfect" CF travel guitar

I scoped it for months, and finally ordered a custom build Emerald X7 Artisan. Changed the scale length from 24" to 24.9" (to match my other short scale guitars), and requested a thin neck (11/16" thick at 3rd fret), asking Alistair to essentially mimic a Taylor T5 neck. Sean and Alistair say they know what is needed, and say they can get it done. By end of March 2017, I'll have it! They seem awesome to work with, so I'm optimistic. And intrigued by their model that makes it easy to shift the basic spec's of their guitars - to a degree that seems unique in the acoustic guitar industry.

If this works out, it will be the end of a long quest for a small, easy-to-travel-with guitar that has the same key playing spec's as my home guitars. GS-mini was fun but nut and scale length didn't work, Voyage-Air wasn't a short scale, Journey Overhead was cool but too small, and Rainsong P12S is perfect except the N2 neck is a bit too chunky (still have that one and love it though). Could the custom Emerald be "the one" that truly nails it all?

Will keep y'all posted in case anyone else is interested in the outcome...
Old 11-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Anticipation Junkie

If any CF builder can meet your specs, Emerald can. The others aren't anywhere near as flexible, and at a reasonable cost in the scheme of things. I don't know how they do it, but Alistair has developed unique processes and designs that push the envelope on what is possible. Very exciting!

I truly hope this works out for you.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

I am highly interested in your experience. If you could PM me some purchase details I would be grateful.

My ideal CF travel guitar would be an Emerald X7 with a 1-3/4 nut and 24.75" scale (to mimic my short scale Taylor) but I don't know about how much such a thing would cost.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-06-2016, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, looking forward to hear your feedback when you get her.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:32 AM

I can see a Emerald in my future as well be it with a center sound hole. I have talked with them on the x10 and your right about them being more than willing to build what you want.
I have my new Rainsong concert parlor on the way and I am pretty sure I am going to like it. But the one thing about RS they will not change anything period,,which I found a bit frustrating when ordering one. I didn't want the shark inlay or rosette on my concert but they would not move on it. I found it strange that simply eliminating a inlay on the neck could be a problem.
Anyway I am looking at a custom order myself before to long. Jerry
Old 11-07-2016, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Rainsong will change some things, I was able to order my H-WS1000N2 with a 12 fret neck for no charge, but they would not add shark inlays as they are for the "higher" end guitars. They do seem to be a bit picky about the sharks. I wonder if the necks are manufactured in larger numbers already spec'd for specific guitars ???

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber