The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-11-2021, 02:27 PM

Default Why do I keep getting bumped off AGF?

Dunno what's happening, but something isn't letting me stay logged in to AGF for more than maybe a couple of hours at a time. This is happening on my iMac and on my iPhone. Now, my iPhone just got automatically updated to iOS 14.6 within the past week, but I don't see any reports that the new operating system has this as a hiccup. Also, I dove into my profile here but don't see an option for me to "stay logged on" for a given length of time or indefinitely or whatever...did I just miss it?

The phone thing is particularly annoying because I'm lousy at keying in text on the tiny keyboard. But the computer thing isn't much better...I can be typing a post or reply and hit "submit" and, now all too often, I'll get a notice that I'm not signed on...and then when I complete that, it won't let me post what I just typed unless I copy the entire text, go back to the thread, hit "quote" or "post reply" to bring up a NEW box and paste into that.

Been on the board for ten years and this is the first time I've encountered the problem. Anybody else having this happen or am I the only lucky one?

Any help or suggestion would be gratefully received.

Dirk
Old 06-11-2021, 02:29 PM

When you login there's something like a "Keep me checked in" checkbox. Double check that.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

It's the "Remember Me" box when you log in.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
It's the "Remember Me" box when you log in.
OK...but I click the "Remember Me" box almost every time and it STILL doesn't remember me. And you know what happened when I just now clicked "quote" to type this answer? Yep...it toggled me over to a "you're not signed in" window. And I already went through the process just before I typed my post, what, half an hour ago or less? So...I clicked "Remember Me" AGAIN this time. Let's see what happens.

Dirk
Old 06-11-2021, 03:05 PM

Same thing has happened to me a few times today, even though I've been checking the "remember me" box.

I also received two notices that someone had tried to log in to my account with 5 wrong attempts. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Thanks, scott
Old 06-11-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
OK...but I click the "Remember Me" box almost every time and it STILL doesn't remember me. And you know what happened when I just now clicked "quote" to type this answer? Yep...it toggled me over to a "you're not signed in" window. And I already went through the process just before I typed my post, what, half an hour ago or less? So...I clicked "Remember Me" AGAIN this time. Let's see what happens.

Dirk
Dirk, any chance you have your browser setting to clear cookies every time you close your browser?
Old 06-11-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Dirk, any chance you have your browser setting to clear cookies every time you close your browser?
I'll check, Dru. I had to have the iMac worked on extensively (luckily under warranty) a couple of months back. Lots of new major parts and I had to go back and reset passwords, etc., on assorted sites afterward, but this particular quirk seems to have started only a couple of weeks back...here and on a classical music forum that I occasionally visit. OTOH, it couldn't hurt to click into System Preferences and prowl around a bit.

Thanks,

Dirk

PS...Just visited my Chrome settings and the only thing marked "on" in the pertinent area was: Block third-party cookies in Incognito. I do NOT have "Clear cookies and site data when you quit Chrome" toggled on. Hmmm.

Last edited by dirkronk; 06-11-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info, Dirk. I'll let our admin know. I have never once had the box fail on me, but I believe I've heard that others did. Maybe our admin will know more.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Dirk. I'll let our admin know. I have never once had the box fail on me, but I believe I've heard that others did. Maybe our admin will know more.
Many thanks, Kerbie. Hope we can find a fast/easy fix. I already have enough things making me feel like a tech-challenged old fart.

Dirk
Old 06-11-2021, 03:46 PM

OK, so it's 4:42 CDT...not even an hour after I last logged in (although my name indicates 3:27 as "You last visited") and I had to log in again.
How do I know?
I went to my last post (from a couple of hours back) on the Wildlife in our Backyard thread and tried to make a minor edit. At first it let me click into the Edit window, but when I made the change, it would not accept it. Tried twice, same thing...even while I was still seeing my name up top as though I was still signed in. Then tried again and sure enough, here's the notice to sign in again.

This is frustratin'....

Dirk

AND it made me log in AGAIN to actually post this!!! Except this time, I didn't have to do the Highlight>Copy>Open New Reply>Paste>Post dance.
??????????
Old 06-11-2021, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

I'm wondering about cookies too. You couldn't find a way to clear them?
Old 06-11-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering about cookies too. You couldn't find a way to clear them?
Maybe I misunderstood. I can certainly clear cookies but my understanding is that sites want to use cookies in part to keep you signed in, so I wouldn’t want cookies automatically cleared every time I log out. However if you think clearing them as a test might help, then I’ll give it a try later this evening.
Thanks,
Dirk
Old 06-11-2021, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

No, I definitely don't clear cookies every time. I'm just wondering if once might help in case your browser is hanging onto old information. I'm guessing. Sometimes it helps to kick it in the tail... kinda like rebooting. Lets it start clean. How 'bout testing it with another browser?

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-11-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:03 PM
AGF Administrator

A while back our server team made some temporary changes to the security settings of the site that messed with peoples' log-ins.

The solution was to clear browser cookies and start fresh.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:12 PM

Thanks guys. I’ll do a one-time cookie clear and we’ll go from there.

Dirk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic