The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-10-2021, 05:35 PM

Default Under saddle pickup beneath a long/cut though saddle.

Not too much info on this. I have tried baggs, kk mini, soundhole pickups but I keep coming back to my martin with a matrix infinity. It just sounds right to me, it's the easiest plug and play pickup in my live situations, I don't have to bring extra gear to tweak it, it cuts without sounding too quacky, I can eq it to sound however I want it too. I'm done buying preamps and outboard gear to make things sound good to me. I use pretty thick 1.5 picks so I get a very good sound without the typical ust harshness. I like fishman pickups more than anything I've used over the past 15 years of gigging. So I'd like to put one in my other guitar that has a long saddle. It's removable and not glued in. I realize people will say that this messes up contact between the saddle and top but that doesn't bother me because I spend so much time plugged in. Like 95% of the time....and honestly I really couldn't hear that much difference after my matrix infinity was installed in my d-18. So I think I want to put one in older Collings with a long saddle. Can this be done easily or does it take routing and other mods etc? thanks
Old 06-11-2021, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
Not too much info on this. I have tried baggs, kk mini, soundhole pickups but I keep coming back to my martin with a matrix infinity. It just sounds right to me, it's the easiest plug and play pickup in my live situations, I don't have to bring extra gear to tweak it, it cuts without sounding too quacky, I can eq it to sound however I want it too. I'm done buying preamps and outboard gear to make things sound good to me. I use pretty thick 1.5 picks so I get a very good sound without the typical ust harshness. I like fishman pickups more than anything I've used over the past 15 years of gigging. So I'd like to put one in my other guitar that has a long saddle. It's removable and not glued in. I realize people will say that this messes up contact between the saddle and top but that doesn't bother me because I spend so much time plugged in. Like 95% of the time....and honestly I really couldn't hear that much difference after my matrix infinity was installed in my d-18. So I think I want to put one in older Collings with a long saddle. Can this be done easily or does it take routing and other mods etc? thanks
It would take careful routing (milling) of a notch in the bottom of the saddle to accommodate the length and thickness of the Matrix UST so as to provide the right amount of pressure to generate an overall, useable, and even string-to-string signal output. It can be done but do you want to torment yourself by doing this procedure?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-11-2021, 05:46 AM

I'm not doing it...I would have my local experienced luthier do it. I am fishing for guys that have done this install successfully and their feedback.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

The Road to Madness…

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-11-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The Road to Madness…

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
Agreed. I would not do this. Stick with your K&K, or, better yet, add the Ultra Tonic modification, and buy a ToneDexter. You won't be sorry.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 06-12-2021, 03:57 AM

I did this with my old Advanced Jumbo HC to fit a DTAR Wavelength Dual Source.

I measured the length of the active element, and cut a central segment out of the saddle to that length, using a VERY thin jr hacksaw blade. I then glued the two remaining “wings” of the saddle into the slot, thereby making the saddle a captive setup. I installed the UST as one normally would, then carefully took the base of the saddle section I had cut out down by precisely the thickness of the UST when under compression, and refitted.

It worked perfectly and was an invisible solution unless you knew it was there. You have to approach it in a craftspersonlike way though as it would be easy to butcher it! I should add the caveat that I had several years’ experience as a touring guitar tech when I did mine.

It came out very well indeed and is still sounding terrific (same pickup and bridge solution) now in the hands of great songwriter Mick Terry!
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification