The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-08-2021, 09:17 AM

Default 9v Batteries

What 9v batteries do you guys use for your pickups? Are there some that last longer? Do you use lithium, or alkaline? Good/bad experiences with rechargeables?
Old 06-08-2021, 10:09 AM

I use Duracells. The problem with Lithium and Rechargeables in my experience is that they’re typically a little thicker than alkaline batteries. You might be able to push them into the battery slot, but getting them out later will be difficult.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:20 AM

I've been using Amazon branded batteries for a couple years now for my acoustics and smoke detectors. With Prime free shipping they only cost $11.82 for 8 and they last me a long time. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-08-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendandsnap View Post
I use Duracells. The problem with Lithium and Rechargeables in my experience is that they’re typically a little thicker than alkaline batteries. You might be able to push them into the battery slot, but getting them out later will be difficult.
That is true. Another problem is that while they do last a long time, when they do go it will be sudden. There is none of this "I hear a little distortion, I need to change the battery before the next gig". Instead, it will work perfectly until it does, then suddenly die completely. The third problem is that unlike alkaline batteries that are safe to put in the trash, you really should recycle lithium batteries to avoid toxic pollution.

They do last a heck of a long time though!
Old 06-08-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

I use these lithium’s in everything now. They seem to last twice as long and even fit some guitars better which can prevent rattle.

https://amzn.to/3ggEc0h
Old 06-08-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Ive switched to *almost* all Lithium batteries, and even buying a quality multi-charger, know Ive paid for it all several times.

One huge advantage of Li batteries, is no leaking acid that can destroy electronics when left in place.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-08-2021, 07:42 PM

The orange alkaline ones from Harbor Freight. They fit in all my guitars' battery boxes and last as long as the black/silver and copper/black ones that cost loads more.

I once tried some blue and white ones from Best Buy. They were almost all duds.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:02 AM

I've been using the Tenergy Premium High Drain 250mAh NiMH rechargeable (available on Amazon), they are normal size and fit in Martins and Taylors, pedals, etc.

They last a long time but as others state die suddenly. I just swap them every string change and never have an issue.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:56 AM

I'm using a rechargeable battery.
Works great and saves a lot of money and good for the environment!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification