The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-09-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Interesting, thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
It really is a set it and forget it pedal. I am using it with two very different pickup systems and what I've found is that the internal switches are more or less tonal preferences for the player, not the specific guitar. I have the MEG switch set to 5 for both my passive Schatten and Cole Clark active.
That makes sense. Schatten uses 10M to 20M preamps for his pickups. And any active system will be impedance agnostic. I think it's really important for K&K or Dazzo style sound board transducers where their are multiple piezo.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:23 PM

I am glad I saw this thread as I didn’t realize the video included a pickup comparison. I don’t want to take away from the point of this thread but I was quite impressed with the Anthem and more surprisingly, the K&K. Both sounded nice and full.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am glad I saw this thread as I didn’t realize the video included a pickup comparison. I don’t want to take away from the point of this thread but I was quite impressed with the Anthem and more surprisingly, the K&K. Both sounded nice and full.
I really think that's a cool sounding preamp, and very useful features.

As for the K&K and Antem sounding good...

The only problem is, that is what the pickups sound like plugged in to a recording interface with no speakers around. Not really a great test.

Put those same two pickups on a stage up at volume and that is not what they sound like, every time I got my Anthems at high stage levels I had to take most all of the microphone out of the mix, and with K&Ks I always had to deal with at least two problematic mids.

Whereas the Amulet sounds better to me live than it does plugged into my interface, where frankly, I don't think it sounds that great.

The only time I ever liked my Anthem systems was low volume stuff, and recording direct. Not that I would ever do a serous recording that way, but I had to try it out I was actually pretty impressed on how the Anthem recorded.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That makes sense. Schatten uses 10M to 20M preamps for his pickups. And any active system will be impedance agnostic. I think it's really important for K&K or Dazzo style sound board transducers where their are multiple piezo.
So what would you set it to for the Dazzos?
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 06-09-2021, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

The only problem is, that is what the pickups sound like plugged in to a recording interface with no speakers around. Not really a great test.

Put those same two pickups on a stage up at volume and that is not what they sound like, every time I got my Anthems at high stage levels I had to take most all of the microphone out of the mix, and with K&Ks I always had to deal with at least two problematic mids.

Whereas the Amulet sounds better to me live than it does plugged into my interface, where frankly, I don't think it sounds that great.

The only time I ever liked my Anthem systems was low volume stuff, and recording direct. Not that I would ever do a serous recording that way, but I had to try it out I was actually pretty impressed on how the Anthem recorded.
I've always had excellent results with the Anthem at stage volume. I would like to test the Trance and Dazzo in the same situation.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Absolutely! A direct recording is never the best way to compare pickups, but it can showcase the unique tones of each system. For me, I tried the Amulet a few times and there’s something distinct about the tone that I can’t get out of my head. I also hear it in every demo of that system. It’s like a hifi presence that to me makes the piezo quality shine through. I also find that high strings never have the warmth or fullness that I like out of a pickup. Again, that’s just my assessment. I will say this, I completely agree that the Amulet is plug and play though. When I was using it, I hardly touched the eq.

The Anthem definitely sounds better at lower volumes. That’s not to say that it doesn’t sound good loud as well, I just find that there’s a mid range that comes though that’s hard to dial out. That’s why I found the SL version so difficult to work with. The tru mic was always too loud and it made for an odd tone.

I know that recently the K&K has lost some fans here, but it definitely has the thickest sound of the pickups in that comparison. I think the reason I am considering it is because my Taylor would benefit from a warmer sounding system and with preamps like the Voiceprint out, I feel like I could really make that system shine.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
So what would you set it to for the Dazzos?
5M according to Sunnaudio.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:

I used mine live for the first time last night with a full band. I was playing my Cole Clark. Once the person running the board set my level in the mix, I made one EQ tweak and never touched the preamp again.

If you like turning knobs and fiddling with EQ settings, this isn't the preamp for you. If you like playing music with great plugged in tone and minimal fuss, this is the one we've been waiting for...
Old 06-10-2021, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

The DI-2 Prestine looks and sounds a great Pre-amp/DI, and I was about to pull the trigger until I realised that the position of the input and balanced XLR output connections make it quite pedal-board unfriendly. The input on the right side I could cope with, the the XLR output on the left side won’t work with my PedalTrain Mini board - it needs to be on the ‘top’ side so that the cable to the mixer goes away at 90-deg to the board.

That was quite a blow!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-10-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The DI-2 Prestine looks and sounds a great Pre-amp/DI, and I was about to pull the trigger until I realised that the position of the input and balanced XLR output connections make it quite pedal-board unfriendly. The input on the right side I could cope with, the the XLR output on the left side won’t work with my PedalTrain Mini board - it needs to be on the ‘top’ side so that the cable to the mixer goes away at 90-deg to the board.

That was quite a blow!
Get a bigger board. It's worth the compromise.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Get a bigger board. It's worth the compromise.
Ha! That did occur to me, but I’m 74-year-old guy, not as muscular as I was in my rowing and soccer-playing days, and I’m after less bulk and weight to tote around, not more!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 06-10-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post

That was quite a blow!
Maybe this will help? Right angle XLR connector:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-10-2021, 09:16 AM

It does look like a cool preamp! If I didn't have the Felix already, I would be tempted!
Old 06-10-2021, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Maybe this will help? Right angle XLR connector:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Nice try, but….

1) the female end is the one which needs to be Right-Angled.
2) I often have to use the venue’s or PA-guy’s cables so it’s out of my control.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 06-10-2021, 11:53 AM

I use switchcraft low profile XLR (other brands include Cable Techniques or Ambient)

They make both male and female.

Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 06-10-2021 at 01:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification