The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-18-2021, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
That’s fantastic, no small feat. Good for you and keep it up as a lifestyle. What’s important is to find activities that are actually fun to do.

I’m 65 and have always been in reasonable shape, mostly due to the demands of a rural property we moved away from a couple of years ago to a suburban home. Now with more time for fun activities, last year I bought a new bike and cycle with a group of friends, also hike, cross-country and downhill ski with them. In fact, this morning/early afternoon I was downhill spring skiing, after which I walked about 3 mi. with my wife. Beautiful, warmish day...feels good to be alive, healthy and on the move.
Good for you too.

I joined some meetup groups and we do hiking, walking, cycling.

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 03-18-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post

I've gained a lot of weight over the last few years; probably close to 75 or 80 pounds. I'm 6'2" and tip in around 335 pounds.

The plan is to start getting on the bike regularly. I can't run or walk any great distance because my knees are shot, but biking is okay...
Biking is great to strengthen knees. So is hiking on uneven ground.

Martin D-28 Satin
Old 03-18-2021, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
This feller is one of the "head dudes" of the group of Valkyrie
motorcycle riders I associate with. He's amazing. We watched
his change over a couple of years at the National Rally and
through his regular blog posting on this page. The Man In The Mirror
is a good watch...

http://lifeisaroad.com/blog/

-Mike
That dude is amazing!

Martin D-28 Satin
Old 03-18-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
Keep up the good work! I’m on a mission to better health as well — it can be difficult, but it’s so worth it!
Yeah, it's hell getting there, but not hard to maintain once your there.

Martin D-28 Satin
Old 03-18-2021, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvanesebob View Post
Does anyone try to stay fit?
Yes, all my life. I'm a fitness nut!

Great story, calvanesebob. I'm sure you've added a lot of years to your life. Enjoy it!
Old 03-18-2021, 06:07 AM

I used Resistance Bands at home for a few weeks but that didn't get the job done. I found one of the fitness clubs near my home and joined it. It's a sweet deal $25 per month that also includes massage chairs etc. I visit the facility MWF for 1 1/2 hours per day I also go on Sun for a mini workout.

The exercise emphasis along with proper diet and a few supplements resulted in loosing 50 pounds.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvanesebob View Post
Does anyone try to stay fit?
I retired 11 years ago and was sadly overweight. Since then, I've been assertively dedicated to fitness with considerable success. Last November, I was at my lowest weight since high school and was the only old guy at my local golf course who eschewed carts in favor of walking and carrying.

Then the bottom fell out. A variety of outside pressures, both personal and public, left me with no desire to continue to exercise. I gained 15 lbs in about as many weeks, stepping on the scale in early March at my highest weight in a decade. I was devastated.

So, I'm back on a new regimen and trying to get my health back. It's really hard. Target date for Phase 1 is Memorial Day.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:20 AM

well done sir! it's not easy to accomplish what you've done.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:01 PM

Bob, you're an inspiration to many. Your effort added years of health to your life.

I've never had to worry about my weight or fitness but I believe when it comes to both it starts with very small steps, just like you did. And patience because it's a long journey.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:15 AM

I do my best to stay in shape.
Thats my way of not letting high workload at work get to me. Training (either running, hitting the gym or competing) also helps me stay focused and sort things out in my head.

Both me and my wife competes in OCR-races and trail running and from time to time regular running. We’re not pro’s but good enough doing things like that also makes you train more during weekdays.

Turning 40 in a couple of months but im in better shape today then i was in highschool.
I ran 130 miles last year and was at the gym every other day and yes that needs time investment but it worth it both in what it gives back in terms of keeping your head straight but also in energy.

It does not have to be big events, long tracks and so on. The best workout is the one that happens.

Also positive is that my daughter got interested when she saw that her parents found it funny.
Often there are kid’s versions of OCR races that take place the day after the big ones. Shorter tracks but still....
Here she is at age 9 mud swimming in water around 50 degrees fahrenheit.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-19-2021 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 03-19-2021, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Great job getting back into shape! You were definitely on the verge of exiting this life early. I find your story inspiring.

As for me, I try to get and remain fit but I struggle. For me, it's always excess weight. I've struggled with it my whole adult life. Mostly from just laziness. I'm currently right about where you were, 59.5, 5'7" and around 235. On the positive side, I don't smoke and never have and I'm fairly active. I played tennis my whole life until finally having to give it up a few years back due to injuries (knees, shoulder, elbow). I just got tired of needing surgeries.

Last year I took up pickleball and that's a blast and keeps me moving in the summer months. We also bicycle in the summer months but it's leisure type biking, mostly. I go to the gym and power walk 7 days a week unless I've got something to do like visiting grand babies which is a workout unto itself. Before the pandemic hit I would attend old folks aerobic classes three times a week and I was swimming for an hour 7 days a week until my shoulders crapped out.

But my weight is still up there and needs to come down. I'm a yo-yo'er with the weight. I like to eat and I tend to over-eat. I'm coming up on early retirement so a big part of that will be getting - and keeping - the weight down. At least my numbers are good for things like heart rate and cholesterol. My wife of 42 years is as thin and fit as the day we married so she'll be a good coach once we're both retired and she can keep an eye on the 'little fat kid' 24/7!

Last edited by Methos1979; 03-19-2021 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

For those struggling with the weight aspect, as I have, the truth is that exercise has a relatively minimal effect on weight. 2.5 hours of hard mountain biking for example, will burn me about 2000 calories, and I'm a big guy, and that's a HARD ride. Now that's a fair bit, and if I get in 5 hours a week we're talking about an extra 4000 calories, or just over a pound of week by calorie. But i have to eat more to fuel those rides, and probably eat an extra 0-400 calories (longer rides need more, an hour ride might not need any) on those days, so the effect is reduced a fair bit, and I'm talking about a pretty aggressive training plan.

So if I did everything perfectly, I'd probably drop about a pound every 10 days. Which isn't horrible, but at 3 pounds a month, not exactly lighting the weight loss world on fire, and let's be honest, I don't do everything else perfectly.

You simply have to eat differently to really effect weight. Lots of low-density, high fiber foods is an approach that will support the fuel needs of your activities and drop your caloric intake. There are other approaches for those not concerned about athletic performance. It's a challenge for sure.

Exercise is incredibly beneficial to mind and body. 100%. But it's not the key to weight loss, and it's so often the focus of weight loss efforts. It's all about the food.

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/1684543...-burn-calories

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 03-19-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:25 AM

OP, congrats on your work! Way to go!

I have to do some weights regularly do to guitar related pinched nerve and tondonitis issues. Doc said it's that or surgery. I just keep a pair of 20 lb dumbells and some resistance bands in the spare bedroom. Nothing fancy, but it does the trick. I'm not into body building, just want to keep playing guitar at a highish level for as long as I can.

Honestly, I've always hated working out. My secret over the years has been to find activities I enjoy - cycling with friends/group rides, mountain biking, hiking, etc. Lately it's been disc golf. Way better than a treadmill. I don't even think about working out when I do them, more like the exercise is just a necessary step that has to be done as part of the activity.

One thing is for sure - I feel a lot better when I get regular exercise.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:13 PM

Good to hear everyone's success stories!

Last fall (at 55 y/o) my Doc gave it to me straight - I have been pre diabetic for probably 10 years and on Metformin for blood sugar and Fenofibrate for triglycerides the last couple years. He said if I didn't get the weight under control and start eating right and exercising I would continue to add meds every year and my health would seriously suffer.

My highest weight was last August at 313 (I'm 5'11"). Since then, I've started walking 1-2 miles everyday and hitting the gym (weights and cardio) most days. I have also been strict with my diet of no sugar, very little grains, and lots of veggies and good proteins. I also eat only 2 meals a day between 11am and 7pm. Friday is my weigh in day and this morning I was at 268, so down 45 lbs. My goas is 199 and once there I will see if that's where I want to stay. The key will be setting an upper limit and making sure I don't go above it.

Working out has improved my strength, flexibility, and endurance but the real key is what and how much you eat. Lots of opinions on that and everyone is different but for me this has worked: no sugar, no processed food, lots of low glycemic veggies, and clean proteins, and lots of water.

I want to enjoy this last phase of my life and want my upcoming retirement years to be active and healthy. My best shot at that is to be fit.

Oh and btw, at my last Dr appt just Tuesday, my bloodwork was excellent. He took me off the Metformin (yay!!) and said if things continue to look good, probably lose the Fenofibrate next fall.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post

Working out has improved my strength, flexibility, and endurance but the real key is what and how much you eat. Lots of opinions on that and everyone is different but for me this has worked: no sugar, no processed food, lots of low glycemic veggies, and clean proteins, and lots of water.
I agree with this. Another way to look at it is to eat from around the outside of the grocery store and not from the aisles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic