The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 09:07 AM

My neighbour a couple doors down took these of one of "our" eagles. For the past several days, we have 4 full-size eagles hanging around these parts. We rarely seem them in the summer but come fall, when boats are off the lake and the ice forms up, they like to come out and we often see them fish right in front of our house. The otters also come out at this time. Last week we were treated to 3 otters and the 4 eagles pretty much right in front doing their thing. Kind of cool!

Note to self: Get a real camera.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderball View Post
What a shot! Love it. Screams "I got the Blues".
Old 12-05-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
What are we looking at in that first photo, Mick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
+1. What a great photo, Mick, and a little mysterious for us on this side of the world.
It was quite a mystery to me too until I done a little research. We are doing work on a new subdivision not far from home into New South Wales/NSW (I live in the Australian Capital Territory/ACT, a small jurasdiction established solely to house Canberra, the national capital, much like DC is to Washington) & I only noticed it a week or so back & took some pics.

The landowner at the time had a vision of establishing a development there nearly a century ago & had stonemasons put up these structures to promote it but it didn't really fly at the time, see attached link.

https://www.traveller.com.au/ode-to-old-stones-20w8d

The other pics are of a rather lovely mountain stream called the Goodradigbee River I frequently visit, also in NSW but on the opposite (western) border to the ACT.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200

Last edited by saxonblue; 12-05-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:04 AM

An ode to Edward Weston...one of my favorite quotes of his was along the likes of "it's just a pepper, nothing more - to the impure all things are impure". [emoji38][emoji1787][emoji23]

It was a fun project and almost as good a way to kill an afternoon as playing guitar!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 12-06-2020, 02:56 PM

Old 12-06-2020, 05:40 PM

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 12-06-2020, 05:51 PM

The tree continues on the right about half again. It is a VERY big tree.

The trees in the background (smaller than the one above) are about 70 feet behind the vehicles.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

Last edited by fumei; 12-06-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Default A few from our cabin in MN.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:24 PM

Nice stuff guys!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 12-09-2020, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Big swells hitting Northern California this week. Friday in Santa Cruz:

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 12-09-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:07 PM

Great images! Thanks for the "photographer shot" - I was wondering how in the heck you were getting some of those angles unless you were using a drone! Now I understand!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 12-10-2020, 09:15 AM

Fantastic! I was going to ask if that was the Stanley Park Hollow Tree (I was there before) but I don't think it is. Where is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post

The tree continues on the right about half again. It is a VERY big tree.

The trees in the background (smaller than the one above) are about 70 feet behind the vehicles.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kego View Post
Great images! Thanks for the "photographer shot" - I was wondering how in the heck you were getting some of those angles unless you were using a drone! Now I understand!
Thanks Kego! It was a fantastic day out. The location is Steamer Lane, one of the best places for spectators to watch surfing in the country if not the world. The cliffs above the break provide a stadium-like experience. Wanted to share the feel of the place.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

A couple from our corner of Minnesota. This is a pond which I pass on my daily walk. The first was from yesterday morning, a glorious day, and the second from this afternoon, a rather less glorious day.

Both taken with my Sony RX100iii - a super little camera, very easy to slip into a jacket pocket and keep warm at this time of year.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-10-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Fantastic! I was going to ask if that was the Stanley Park Hollow Tree (I was there before) but I don't think it is. Where is it?
No, it is much bigger than the Stanley Park Hollow tree. Much. I have seen large trees here on the west coast, and I had hiked literally hundreds of miles in the coastal redwoods. I thought I knew big trees. But...

I was completely flabbergasted by these. They are in Kings Canyon near the California/Nevada border in the Sierras. They are sequoias. The coastal redwoods are a bit taller (the tallest in the world), but they are not as massive as the sequoias. Although the redwoods are plenty big! Still, the sequoias blew my mind. I was not prepared (although I thought I was before I got there) for the stupendous jaw-dropping size of them. There is a fallen tree that is hollow, and like like the redwoods, sequoias hollow out. In the 1870s a platoon (50 men) and their horses wintered inside it. I could not touch the "ceiling".

In the summer the tourists make the area rather, hmmm, crowded and frankly horrible. I went in early April when there is still a lot of snow. Went snowshoeing. In summer you must stay on the trails. In winter, there ARE no trails, so you can wander deep into them.

One of then has its first branch 120 feet up, and that first branch is 6.8 feet in diameter. Diameter, not circumference.

They are truly one of the great wonders of the natural world. I strongly encourage people to go see them. There are not many left, just a few pockets.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic