The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-27-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
That looks like a fun trail. You should check into going tubeless. Flats will be a thing of the past.
It is but I’m more of an XC rider on crushed gravel. This is the time of year though that it’s nice to get under the canopy. It’s also sort of the dry season so there’s not much mud. This same trail in April is much different.

Speaking of tubeless, even my wife is on board with that. The stock tires are about toast so I was thinking of going with a new set of Maxxis Ardents. The rims aren’t tubeless ready but many other Trek Marlin owners have posted online that they’ve done it.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
I’ve always enjoyed cycling but haven’t ridden at all in recent years due to severe and recurrent laziness. Also, where I live, the heat gets to be too much in the summer, and I can’t seem to organize my time to get out and ride when the weather’s more reasonable. About 20 years ago, I used to do up to 50 kilometers round trip out in the country, which isn’t all that much, but it gave me a good workout. I bought my ride about 20 years ago. It’s noticeably heavier than most other bikes, although the weight only really bothers me when I’m carrying it up several flights of stairs. I hope to be back in the saddle again within a month, as soon as it cools off.

Actually, the real reason for my post is not to brag about my heavy bike and lazy life, but to remind you all that there’s a history of guitarists acting on impluse, taking someone else’s bike for a spin, falling down, breaking bones (forearm, elbow, wrist, etc.) and experiencing playing limitations thereafter. Cycling is a lot of fun and makes you feel like a kid again, but there’s a very real risk of guitar-threatening injury. So, be careful kids!!!
This is true. Two years ago (before I got this bike) I fractured my right elbow and the following year dislocated my right thumb after sailing over the bars from a pedal strike on a log that was lurking in the undergrowth. That’s my I ride so slow and bypass the features. As for the heat, normally I ride on a converted rail line but in August heat stroke is a real danger. That’s why two years ago I went with a hardtail MTB and not a hybrid.

By the way, the Yough trail south of Pittsburgh is a nice fun ride. My wife and I do 20 mile stretches of it every weekend. You can literally ride it all the way to Cumberland, MD - and beyond I hear.

This weekend though is “Pedal Pittsburgh “ - which is an annual urban ride throughout the city. There are some wicked climbs and those transit buses are merciless. This year it’s “virtual” though so there are no checkpoints or rest stops. I’ll be filling up my camelback and adding a second saddle bag (same bike; it’s very versatile) for snacks to keep from “bonking.”
Old 08-27-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
It is but I’m more of an XC rider on crushed gravel. This is the time of year though that it’s nice to get under the canopy. It’s also sort of the dry season so there’s not much mud. This same trail in April is much different.

Speaking of tubeless, even my wife is on board with that. The stock tires are about toast so I was thinking of going with a new set of Maxxis Ardents. The rims aren’t tubeless ready but many other Trek Marlin owners have posted online that they’ve done it.
Maxxis are great tires! I've been through the brands and don't run anything else anymore. The Ardent seems like a great choice, and depending on the width can really be dialed in to a particular use. 2.25 for XC, 2.4 for Trail, etc. Looks like the 2.25 would work on your Bontrager rims.

Park Tools makes great videos for this stuff:

Old 08-27-2020, 11:48 AM

Hehe - Park Tools are like Stewmac though; well designed but expensive. I’ll be going with the Gorilla Tape method. I’ve done my homework. My bike’s frame is won’t fit tires over 2.3” - or a 1x crank bigger than 32t.

As for bikes being hard to find, IME it’s not front lack of demand. The new models are delayed for reasons I can only speculate on and the two LBS that I frequent both have shortages of high demand merchandise and long turnaround times on in house maintenance.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hehe - Park Tools are like Stewmac though; well designed but expensive. I’ll be going with the Gorilla Tape method.
Just saying the instructional videos are great. I haven't found any channel that covers as much instruction or as well.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I used to ride quite a bit but stopped because of cell phone use and seeing way too many cars drifting right at me. Then this year shortly after COVID hit I bought a Fat Tire bike (one of the last ones!) and started riding off road. Absolutely love it. So comfortable and no cars to worry about!
Old 08-27-2020, 01:50 PM

Default Bikes

Here’s a question. How many of you use a front light during the day. I ride on a local bike path, and see maybe 50% of the riders using front light.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busdriver63 View Post
Here’s a question. How many of you use a front light during the day. I ride on a local bike path, and see maybe 50% of the riders using front light.
Nope, but we're mostly riding dedicated MTB trails where speeds and corners are such that a light won't matter. Bells are more the thing as they give warning from further away.

I think it makes sense on the bike path but I'd want it to be lightweight.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I used to ride quite a bit but stopped because of cell phone use and seeing way too many cars drifting right at me. Then this year shortly after COVID hit I bought a Fat Tire bike (one of the last ones!) and started riding off road. Absolutely love it. So comfortable and no cars to worry about!
That's why I don't ride road bikes. Even an entry level mountain bike is more surefooted.

Quote:
Rarely. I only see a use for it on roads - and as I said I tend to stay off road. About the only use I have for it is in some old train tunnels that our multiuse path goes through. I've found that "loud" clothing is more effective at making you visible.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
My bike came from a dumpster and never drove right
found out the rear wheel wasnt matched up with the rest of bike
so its a parts bike - ( its a old panasonic )
Does it have a built-in VCR?
Old 08-27-2020, 03:54 PM

Default I want to ride my bicycle

Quote:

I’ve got a bright LED on the handlebars and one under the saddle that use when I’m riding my bike on the backroads to get to the trails (5 miles each way). I use them so I can be seen more easily and the headlight has come in handy a couple of times when a thunderstorm came up suddenly and it got real dark real fast back in the woods.

Plus I only ride early in the AM so sometimes it’s dark when I leave the house.

They were about $15 for the set on Amazon and they’re rechargeable via mini USB.

2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

Last edited by ChrisE; 08-27-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Hehe - Park Tools are like Stewmac though; well designed but expensive. I’ll be going with the Gorilla Tape method. I’ve done my homework. My bike’s frame is won’t fit tires over 2.3” - or a 1x crank bigger than 32t.

As for bikes being hard to find, IME it’s not front lack of demand. The new models are delayed for reasons I can only speculate on and the two LBS that I frequent both have shortages of high demand merchandise and long turnaround times on in house maintenance.
If you have a tubeless compatible Trek rim it will be super easy and reliable to just get their kit so the tape width is correct width, and because they actually make good wheel, tire and tubeless stuff.

People are biking like crazy this summer.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:09 AM

Default Ebike

I’d like to echo the post for pedal assist, particularly for the over 70 crowd. I have a bad back and creaky hips. I’d ridden for a long time, but could no longer throw my leg over the top bar and lacked the leg power for hill climbs. I’m an avid swimmer but don’t dare go to the pool because of Covid. So I traded my two bikes in and bought a Specialized Vado Ebike. There was an extra large for sale on their website because it was a “woman’s” bike. No more vanity for me at 74. I love the thing. It has about a 3 hour range. I live in the country with little traffic on the roads, so I feel safe. I was skeptical but I can get a good workout from the bike, and whenever I want to I can lower the exertion. It’s very stable, shock absorbers, wide tires, etc. So if you miss biking and think you can’t do it anymore, check out an Ebike. I thought biking was over for me, but it isn’t.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I didn't see the Ardent or tubeless ready comment earlier.

You want to know your particular rim does well with a ghetto setup, and know your inner width. A big tire in narrow rim asks for trouble with tubeless reliability and tire profile.

I like Ardents a lot but if you do mixed terrain riding or have east of Mississippi loam there are better choices. Trek 3 and 4 treads don't pack up as fast as an Ardent, but an Ardent with right rim will get you that square edge Maxxis style that can be great.

You can also accommodate wanting some speedy and some control by a faster tire in back and one with more steering hold in front. I run WTB Riddler back and Trail Boss front on our hard tail. Its crazy how well the Riddler in back is for the speed yet has traction and holds you when you lean. New Trek 3s compete with that and Maxxis came out with I think Minion SS for that.

All the developments for adventure and gravel riding might be good for what you want. The Donneley MSO (was Clement) is amazing for how they roll on pavement yet handle dirt plus super durable. My wife uses super fast MTB race tires for the on and off road and I have the MSOs.

This can get like the ways people are very particular about guitar strings and picks. Thing is, in current really dry conditions and earlier really damp conditions the right tire choice can be the difference between hurt yourself or not.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsepicker View Post
I’d like to echo the post for pedal assist, particularly for the over 70 crowd. I have a bad back and creaky hips. I’d ridden for a long time, but could no longer throw my leg over the top bar and lacked the leg power for hill climbs. I’m an avid swimmer but don’t dare go to the pool because of Covid. So I traded my two bikes in and bought a Specialized Vado Ebike. There was an extra large for sale on their website because it was a “woman’s” bike. No more vanity for me at 74. I love the thing. It has about a 3 hour range. I live in the country with little traffic on the roads, so I feel safe. I was skeptical but I can get a good workout from the bike, and whenever I want to I can lower the exertion. It’s very stable, shock absorbers, wide tires, etc. So if you miss biking and think you can’t do it anymore, check out an Ebike. I thought biking was over for me, but it isn’t.
That's great that the eBike is getting you out there, it must feel like freedom and a relief. When my wife tried one in Switzerland last summer, she said it was the best day she's had in years...of course we were in Switzerland, but...

She's been suffering from issues with her knees for years now, and the eBike has been a game-changer. It really has opened up possibilities for folks who need a little help. That's a great thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic