The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-11-2021, 10:07 AM

Default tilted speaker stands for Bose

I just purchased the Bose L1 16 Pro for my band and acoustic shows. What I would like to do is use my Bose S1 Pro for a monitor but I would like to have it elevated and tilted to me head for better projection and sound. I have a very hard time hearing my vocals and need a monitor with good volume for my full band shows and what would work better than the Bose S1 pro at a tilt towards my head? any ideas on what to use and does anybody else do this?
Old 06-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

One of the tings that I LOVE about my Bose L1 Model II system is that it is the PERFECT monitor, for both my guitars and voice!

Position that new Bose of yours like Bose says - diagonally off one shoulder or the other (I favor the left shoulder to keep the body of my acoustic farthest away from the source) and approx. 10-15' away from your stage position. Having that distance enables the "magic" to happen from all those small speakers pointing in different directions!

What you'll hear is what the audience is hearing, and at pretty close to the same volume. I love hearing myself the way I sound to the audience and would not have it any other way.

Remember, the dispersion of the bigger Bose rigs is so even across a 180 degree axis, that there's no need to "point it" at the audience or at yourself, so long as you're in that 180 degree area, you'll hear just fine.

I don't think you'll be needing the S1 as a monitor...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-11-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
I just purchased the Bose L1 16 Pro for my band and acoustic shows. What I would like to do is use my Bose S1 Pro for a monitor but I would like to have it elevated and tilted to me head for better projection and sound. I have a very hard time hearing my vocals and need a monitor with good volume for my full band shows and what would work better than the Bose S1 pro at a tilt towards my head? any ideas on what to use and does anybody else do this?
I have had several amp stands, but was unhappy with them because packing them up was problematic. They tilted and raised amps or speakers OK but corners and sharp arms stuck out, tangling up with other gear and became very bulky.

I found this on Amazon. Bought it, but the shipping got cancelled. Then Covid quenched my need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still, it promised to pack up nice and compact. It is also available without the mic's boom arm.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
One of the tings that I LOVE about my Bose L1 Model II system is that it is the PERFECT monitor, for both my guitars and voice!

Position that new Bose of yours like Bose says - diagonally off one shoulder or the other (I favor the left shoulder to keep the body of my acoustic farthest away from the source) and approx. 10-15' away from your stage position. Having that distance enables the "magic" to happen from all those small speakers pointing in different directions!

What you'll hear is what the audience is hearing, and at pretty close to the same volume. I love hearing myself the way I sound to the audience and would not have it any other way.

Remember, the dispersion of the bigger Bose rigs is so even across a 180 degree axis, that there's no need to "point it" at the audience or at yourself, so long as you're in that 180 degree area, you'll hear just fine.

I don't think you'll be needing the S1 as a monitor...
I've been using Bose L1 systems since January of 2005. I always played with it behind me and I agree, hearing what the audience hears can be great. But...as a solo act I'm always crammed into corners, under EZ-UP type tents or gazebos and after a decade, I couldn't have that thing behind me anymore! I had started to notice some hearing loss.

Now, if I can't get far enough away, I put it slightly in front and use my S1 Pro as a monitor. I take the Aux out of my Bose T1 so I can have a separate monitor mix and I love it!

As for getting the S1 Pro closer to you, I sure understand that need too. I'm 6'4" and I always stand when I play. I haven't had to do this with the S1 but I used to use a little spot monitor and I would put it on the table I keep next to me. I use a Da-Lite Project-O-Stand for my harmonicas, my little mixer, water, etc. and I would put the little spot monitor on the corner of that table. It wasn't as bit as the S1 so it didn't seem obtrusive and it got it closer to my ears. So a little table, if it's beefy enough, could get it closer to you and give you a nice place to put stuff!

Matt
Old 06-12-2021, 08:55 AM

We've been using a Pro8 and typically can't get it far enough behind us. When you are right in front of it sounds pretty harsh. I've also been doing some video recording from the audience position and find that it sounds pretty different a ways away that it does up close. So we've been using an S1 as a monitor and typically position the Pro 8 to the side and even with us behind the dispersion.

For positioning the S1, just use it on it's side and put something under it if you want to increase the angle.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:09 PM

OP here. I ended up buying a small speaker stand that extends up to 45" and ordered an adapter that has a tilt that can slip over the speaker stand. That way I can have it pointing up or down toward me. Whichever I decide on

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification