The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-11-2021, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Another very enjoyable book was No Ordinary Time, by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It looked at the lives of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, but focused primarily on the WWII years. Very well written.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi; just got my Kindle [not crazy about it] still not sure how to use this thing. but ,I have "unlimited" [as they say] . I'm like to read History ,any kind of history. I can't find anything that suits me. Everything that comes up are these "teen "books or girl kind books ...I don't know. I'm looking for an interesting history book,any kind of history...Thanks.
Might as well start at the beginning . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Herodotus-His...al-text&sr=1-6
Old 06-11-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
.. maybe something about Italy [my nationality]... someday I should go there.

You mentioned something about Italy. Here are two that are very informative and very entertaining:

1. "Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling"

2. "Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture"

And yes, you should go there! My first trip was for 1 week, just to Rome and Florence. For me, seeing the Sistine Chapel and the Duomo in Florence was magical.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I recently downloaded the American Experiment by James McGregor Burns
when it was on sale for 3 bucks. Regular price about $15. I haven't had the courage to start it yet, it is 3 printed volumes, 4,100 pages long. It is a commitment, for sure. So the only endorsement I can give it that is is long, and gets good reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Expe.../dp/B00CLVB9UQ
Great suggestion! I did pick up the 3 volumes for $3. Just finished Volume 1 a short while ago and started on Volume 2. A good read with lots of insights.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-11-2021, 06:27 PM

Path Between the Seas, about the Panama Canal

https://www.amazon.com/Path-Between-.../dp/0671244094

And also related, Theodore Rex about Teddy Roosevelt

https://www.amazon.com/Theodore-Rex-...s=books&sr=1-1
Old 06-11-2021, 06:33 PM

ooooh! so much to check out here ! thanks a million!!
Old 06-12-2021, 06:37 AM

There’s some deeper readers on this thread! I’m a bit more pedestrian when it comes to history.

Anything by David McCollough is excellent. I particularly enjoyed The Great Bridge and 1776.

Also entertaining is any book in the Killing series by Bill O’Reilly. These books are historically based but written more like novels. Some may argue it’s not “real” history, but you can tell the research is there. O’Reilly doesn’t pull any punches. Killing Jesus, Killing the SS and Killing the Rising Sun were brutal in parts but important to the story.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:14 AM

To Explain the World: The Discovery of Modern Science - Steven Weinberg (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
"Nobel Prize-winning physicist Steven Weinberg takes us across centuries from ancient Miletus to medieval Baghdad and Oxford, from Plato’s Academy and the Museum of Alexandria to the cathedral school of Chartres and the Royal Society of London. He shows that the scientists of ancient and medieval times not only did not understand what we understand about the world—they did not understand what there is to understand, or how to understand it. Yet over the centuries, through the struggle to solve such mysteries as the curious backward movement of the planets and the rise and fall of the tides, the modern discipline of science eventually emerged."

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 06-12-2021, 10:27 AM

A book I read last year and enjoyed very much is Empire of the Summer Moon, by S.C. Gwynne. It's the story of the Commanche nation's rise and fall, and if you're at all interested in Native American history, it's a great read. One thing I liked about it is that it's not full of revisionist history or romanticized versions of the times. He doesn't take sides, he just presents the story warts and all. And there are plenty of warts to go around in this history.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:17 PM

If you’re into the civil war check out Shelby Foote’s 3 volume of the civil war. Can be tedious I. Some parts but it is arguably the best reference to the civil war.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
. I'm like to read History ,any kind of history. ...I don't know. I'm looking for an interesting history book,any kind of history...Thanks.
Quote:
Well anything really. as long as it holds ones interest. American history or a goodbiogrophy....
Don't know anything about kindle, but look for:

Gustav Stickley by David Cathers.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:01 PM

I'm about half through "Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy" by Max Hastings, who is one of my favorite military historians. Excellent, so far. Unsparing.

https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-Trage.../dp/0062405667
Old 06-13-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdinterman View Post
If you’re into the civil war check out Shelby Foote’s 3 volume of the civil war. Can be tedious I. Some parts but it is arguably the best reference to the civil war.
I have those and they've always been a retirement goal of mine to finish. And I'd add Dumas Malone's 6-part study of Thomas Jefferson to that goal. I think I'll be quite busy for a long time.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

A book I read recently called "Grant" by Ron Chernow was very interesting and very well written. I think it won a Pullitzer Prize. It's not free on Kindle, something like $17, but it was a real eye-opener in terms of what happened during Reconstruction.

Also, a classic and great book on the American Civil War is "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara. It's about $8 for Kindle.

I found that I could download Kindle classic collections by Dickens or Mark Twain for free or almost free. So I have read a bunch of that stuff. Both Dickens and Twain make for interesting reading.

For books about World War II, Stephen Ambrose wrote a lot of terrific books. He wrote "Band of Brothers," for example.

- Glenn
Old 06-13-2021, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
hi; just got my Kindle [not crazy about it] still not sure how to use this thing. but ,I have "unlimited" [as they say] . I'm like to read History ,any kind of history. I can't find anything that suits me. Everything that comes up are these "teen "books or girl kind books ...I don't know. I'm looking for an interesting history book,any kind of history...Thanks.
Here's a well written book about the history of my hometown. One might think it's a specialized book, you'd need to be from the area but it's an American story. Pick any area of the US and there's a similar tale. Walking the Old Road: A People's History of Chippewa City and the Grand Marais Anishinaabe

"The story of a once vibrant, now vanished off-reservation Ojibwe village—and a vital chapter of the history of the North Shore (of Lake Superior)"

https://www.amazon.com/Walking-Old-R.../dp/1517903408

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic