The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-11-2021, 08:02 AM

Default I need help with amplication (pickups/DI/amp)

Hi,
So I have had a cordoba GK studio for a year.
I like the sound of it unplugged,
however, when plugged in (my Fishman Loudbox Mini amp through Fishman Presys 301 blend pickup) It needs tons of EQing, and I still cant fight off some unpleasant frequencies,
Especially at higher volumes. It seems like it doesnt represent at all the sound of the live guitar
Something else that has been happening is unbalanced bass tones. Some are bassier than others, which sometimes dont have any "bass". But that could be related to the room ?

Anyways, I was wondering what the hell do I need to do or buy?
A new pick up system?
A DI box maybe?
Or should I just get a new guitar?

If a new pickup is what can help , which ones would you recommend ? I head the Anthem SL-C may be a good option, as it has both a mic and undersaddle thing.

If a DI can help , which one? What would you say about the LR Baggs Venue? Or one of the fishman products?

I would love some direction, because my amplified guitar tone is very important to me !
Old 06-11-2021, 08:14 AM

Do individual strings sound radically different to each other?
Old 06-11-2021, 10:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have a GK, it came with the PreSys/Sonitone system. Sounds great acoustically, but horrible plugged in.

You can check string-to-string balance, plug it into a good clean amp, preferably using headphones. The Sonitone pickup is pretty compliant, and doesn't usually give string to string issues, but I'd listen carefully for that. Try each open string in turn, then do the same at higher positions. If it's a string balance issue, the string will be weaker (or stronger) no matter where fretted.

Since you say you care about your amplified tone, you might want to look at the latest generation of IR based preamps. There are several choices, some better than others.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 06-11-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
you might want to look at the latest generation of IR based preamps. There are several choices, some better than others.
Buy a Tonedexter. (Simple, efficient, great tone).

v2 sounds even better
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 06-11-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Do individual strings sound radically different to each other?
Thanks for commenting.
The D string sounds much different when open, as in no presence and bass at all.
(Only when open and until the E note.
And certainstring are much bassier than others, where unlugged , these problems dont occur.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I have a GK, it came with the PreSys/Sonitone system. Sounds great acoustically, but horrible plugged in.

You can check string-to-string balance, plug it into a good clean amp, preferably using headphones. The Sonitone pickup is pretty compliant, and doesn't usually give string to string issues, but I'd listen carefully for that. Try each open string in turn, then do the same at higher positions. If it's a string balance issue, the string will be weaker (or stronger) no matter where fretted.

Since you say you care about your amplified tone, you might want to look at the latest generation of IR based preamps. There are several choices, some better than others.
Thanks for the reply

When plugged , the open D string sounds weaker always , until I blend the mic a bit. But then the total tone suffers from that terrible mic 😂
I cant test with headphones unfortunately , because my amp doesnt have that option..
Maybe I should test it in the open space where there are no walls to bounce of frequencies?
Also, What does it mean if I have a string difference?

Im glad to know im not the only one who suffered from that pickup's tone..
I have done some research , and saw there's a DI fishman aura spectrum, that is dedicated for UST pickups kills the quackiness. Maybe the lr baggs venue can also do the job.

But if a pickup is problematic, maybe its better to just replace it with one that isnt UST.
Not sure what the lr baggs anthem is. Is it also UST?
Old 06-11-2021, 02:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedi View Post
Thanks for the reply

When plugged , the open D string sounds weaker always , until I blend the mic a bit. But then the total tone suffers from that terrible mic 😂
I cant test with headphones unfortunately , because my amp doesnt have that option..
Maybe I should test it in the open space where there are no walls to bounce of frequencies?
Also, What does it mean if I have a string difference?

Im glad to know im not the only one who suffered from that pickup's tone..
I have done some research , and saw there's a DI fishman aura spectrum, that is dedicated for UST pickups kills the quackiness. Maybe the lr baggs venue can also do the job.

But if a pickup is problematic, maybe its better to just replace it with one that isnt UST.
Not sure what the lr baggs anthem is. Is it also UST?
If the D string always sounds weaker, no matter which fret, compared to the others, then yes you have a saddle-against-the-pickup seating issue. A good luthier can address this, but if it were me, I'd consider another pickup, preferably an SBT. That will give you much better tone, but you may have feedback issues unless its an Ultra Tonic. It dependis on how loud you want to play. Another thing to consider is your Presys system will still be there, but useless, if you change pickups.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 06-12-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
If the D string always sounds weaker, no matter which fret, compared to the others, then yes you have a saddle-against-the-pickup seating issue. A good luthier can address this, but if it were me, I'd consider another pickup, preferably an SBT. That will give you much better tone, but you may have feedback issues unless its an Ultra Tonic. It dependis on how loud you want to play. Another thing to consider is your Presys system will still be there, but useless, if you change pickups.
Hey, its just the first 3 notes on the D strings. What could it be then?
And after some intense research, I am leaning towards the ToneDexter!
Do you think that using the TD will overide that pickup problem? As the sound that will be produced is based on the mic'd guitar, which sounds balanced and well.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedi View Post
Do you think that using the TD will overide that pickup problem? As the sound that will be produced is based on the mic'd guitar, which sounds balanced and well.
No, the ToneDexter NEEDS the signal from the pickup to drive the IR convolution process.

If the signal is lower on a string, ToneDexter just sees a lower signal. It can't ascertain if your pickup is defective or if you played softer.

You need to fix the issue with your piezo before you can get the most from ToneDexter.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-13-2021, 12:52 PM

I agree. Don’t follow my advice, I did not understand you had a faulty pickup install from reading your first post
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 06-13-2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
No, the ToneDexter NEEDS the signal from the pickup to drive the IR convolution process.

If the signal is lower on a string, ToneDexter just sees a lower signal. It can't ascertain if your pickup is defective or if you played softer.

You need to fix the issue with your piezo before you can get the most from ToneDexter.
Ok thanks!
Old 06-14-2021, 04:04 AM

Quote:
If the D string always sounds weaker, no matter which fret, compared to the others, then yes you have a saddle-against-the-pickup seating issue.

I agree with James. where it seems to be one string, this is definitely a possibility.

I had to spend quite a bit of time, (and some money) on getting this addressed on my Taylor 514NY. It is still not "100% perfect" but it's much better than it was out of the box.

a temporary fix is accomplished with a small shim under the quieter strings.

Shielding tape, (the kind you can get from Stew Mac and is used for shielding electric guitars) works for this.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 06-14-2021 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:15 AM

I had ongoing issues with the B string being louder than all the others.

Most of my electro/acoustic unbalanced issues are addressed by one of two pre-amps, the Baggs Paracoustic DI, or the Behringer Acoustic DI. The Baggs Unit comes closer to an acoustic sound.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post

Another question that came up is -

Will the tonedexter work with my mic/UST blend? Or is it best advised to use only the UST when training it?
Because if I can put a bit of mic blend on my pickup during the training, it can help adress this issue.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I agree with James. where it seems to be one string, this is definitely a possibility.

I had to spend quite a bit of time, (and some money) on getting this addressed on my Taylor 514NY. It is still not "100% perfect" but it's much better than it was out of the box.

a temporary fix is accomplished with a small shim under the quieter strings.

Shielding tape, (the kind you can get from Stew Mac and is used for shielding electric guitars) works for this.
For me, its just 3 notes starting from the open D , so idk what that's all about.
Maybe I can still try what you said.
What do you mean by "a small shim under the quieter strings"? How does that work?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification