The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
We often hear of "hands cramping" when the muscles to that move the fingers are in the forearms.
Actually that is incorrect. There are muscles in the hand as well.

https://www.assh.org/handcare/safety/muscles
Old 06-12-2021, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Really good point, s2y. When I re-dedicated myself to guitar about 20 years ago, I was practicing more and started having hand cramps. A new guitar teacher checked my playing posture and grip and noticed that I wasn't engaging my larger muscles enough (arm, shoulder) and therefore had extra stress and tension on my fretting hand. A few tweaks and I was able to play more cleanly, barre chords were suddenly easier, and the cramps went away and have not returned. So, it is amazing how a little knowledge of body mechanics can transform things once it is applied.

Best,
Jayne
I was fortunate to take classical guitar while in college. I was playing a lot of bass at the time and was getting fatigue and "hand cramps" when I'd play my 5 string bass. By sheer coincidence, I had a Gary Willis bass vid that spent a lot of time discussing ergonomics while I was taking an anatomy class.

I resisted at first, but quickly noticed that playing for long periods was much more comfortable. Eventually, everything clicked. Despite my small hands, I'm fairly comfortable on most necks from a conventional acoustic guitar to a massive fretless 6 string bass.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Actually that is incorrect. There are muscles in the hand as well.

https://www.assh.org/handcare/safety/muscles
I'm aware that there are muscles in the hand. Forearm muscles are the power. The muscles in the hand barely serve a purpose in guitar, besides attempting massive stretches.

Other than wide stretches for heavy metal guitar, this angle engages those accessory muscles.

The pain that guitarists experience in their hand from the baseball bat grip of death is often from thinner necks digging into their palm.

Last edited by s2y; 06-12-2021 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I have learned that not all Martin modified V necks are the same. My favorite is found on the 000-18GE, very soft manageable V. The one I couldn’t handle and sold after a week was the amazing D-18GE. My D-41 Special also has a very manageable modified V. Another guitar I would buy tomorrow if the modified V wasn’t so bulky would be the 000-28EC. So yes unless it’s the new MLO neck, I do my research before buying.
1968 Ovation 1111-4 RIP 1968-2021

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion