The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-21-2020, 11:07 PM

I've settled in with this Excelsior with 2 Sylvania 6v6 and an RCA 12ay7. The Emi 1518 has a voice I like.

I wasn't trying to match up colors the amp was shop worn and dinged in the back (2 bills delivered). I didn't want the blue but the price was right. I was looking for a Chris Fleming Baja and this one turned up used locally. Just happened to be a blue one. They do look kinda cute together.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:35 AM

Can't decide between Tweed or Blackface? How about splitting the difference with a " Brown Deluxe" clone such as Cutthroat Audio "Down Brownie" or a Suhr "Hombre"?

Last edited by The Old Gaffer; 11-23-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:32 PM

I'm a Fender amp addict and presently own two Princeton reissue (65 and 68), a 57 Custom Deluxe reissue and the 57 Champ reissue.

The Princetons have a naturally scooped sound while the Tweed amps are warmer and kind of the opposite with more emphasis on the mids and definitely more gritty when turned up.

All are absolutely amazing amps. At the moment I'm playing the Champ the most. It's just got that classic 50's rock and roll sound. I find myself getting lost for hours playing around with that amp and a looper pedal. The Custom Deluxe would be better if you were gigging though as it is quite similar to the Champ but just bigger sounding. I see the Champ as a practice and recording amp only.

In my opinion the tweed amps sound best with single coils (which is maybe sacrilege to some players). I also prefer the 68 blackface with my strats while the 65 blackface sounds at it's best with a Les Paul.

It's all personal preference but if was after a recording amp I'd probably go for the Champ.

And if I was after a gigging amp I'd try the other three and consider what sound I was going for.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 11-22-2020, 03:21 PM

I'm really happy with my Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-22-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I'm really happy with my Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb.
I've never tried one, but I've heard they're great. A good way of getting the best fender tones in one amp. I have a friend in Ireland that has a whole collection of classic vintage amps but finds himself using the tonemaster much of the time.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 11-22-2020, 04:19 PM

If it has to be a Fender...

The gigger...

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar...180000000.html

Lighter weight, great grab and go...

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar...181000000.html

If you have a need for tweed and quick breakup...

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar...150500100.html
Old 11-22-2020, 05:40 PM

Hi Lizzie,
For bluesy rock, any of those three will get you a good sound, the Champ maybe a little underpowered if you gig with a loud drummer. The last amp you mentioned runs 2k because it's old-style point to point wiring, pine cabinet, etc. and will do the tweed sound awesomely.

I think the big question is do you like Fender blackface/silverface cleans? If yes, then opt for the Princeton and use pedals for dirt. I have a '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue Special Edition 12" which I upgraded the speaker in to a Celestion cream. It is a 15 watt monster, loud cleans that rival my Deluxe Reverb and when you punch in the overdrive, whoa baby! It came with a tweed covering which is kind of a sheep in wolf's clothing, only weighs 34lbs.

One wise piece of advice I heard in another thread on Tweeds vs Blackface:
You can make a clean amp dirty, but you can't make a dirty amp clean.

Last edited by RoyBoy; 11-22-2020 at 05:42 PM. Reason: details
Old 11-22-2020, 05:57 PM

I bought a special edition Electric Blue DRRI in 2010 and gig with it. It came with an Alnico Blue speaker. I don't change equipment very often.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 11-23-2020, 09:30 AM

I guess I'll be the odd man out and say the Fender Super Sonic 22 is my favorite. Must be what my ear gravitates to, but I love that gain channel!

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 11-23-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Even though I have yet to play through one, a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb will come home withh me at some point. I still think they're a bit pricey but finding a used one should not be a problem.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:30 AM

I have the 65 PRRI.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:32 PM

I am not a super great electric player - still more acoustic than electric, BUT, I am a fan of Princetons. I have had a 65 reissue, a 65 reissue tweed with the 12" speaker and now have one of the handwired versions. These work for me - I am more a clean than dirty player. I have played through deluxe reverbs and see why people would like them for gigging, they have more power and flexibility over the princeton. But, they are way heavier.

I love the handwired princeton. It sounds way different than the reissue. It is very pricey, but if you can swing it, I recommend them. It is far more powerful and quieter than the reissues.

I am also a former owner of one of the handwired champs. At first I loved it, but it developed an annoying spring vibration of some sort (that I mostly solved with tube damper rings) and then a bad hum.

Last edited by TiffanyGuitar; 11-25-2020 at 01:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars