The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 04:52 PM

“Case bite” is a common mishap that guitar owners encounter often enough that it’s got its own nickname. As mentioned, covering the “teeth” of the latches with duct tape would create a sticky mess, and wouldn’t even work for very long because the tape would get worn through pretty quickly. Cutting off the “teeth” would weaken the grip that the latches have, leading to an unstable situation holding the lid in place.

It would also hurt any resale value. I doubt I would ever buy a used guitar whose owner had “defanged” the case latches because I’d inevitably wonder what sort of irreversible modifications might have been made to the guitar itself.

The best thing you can do with case bite is be aware that it can happen, and exercise due care when taking the guitar out of the case and when putting it back in. That’s all you can do, really. In this situation there isn’t a practical, workable physical modification that will take care of the problem.

So you have to use awareness instead.

It’s what the rest of us do. I think most of us have had instruments get “case-bitten” when we first started playing, but it only took one time for me to become aware of the possibility.

Since that first time back in 1976, or whenever it happened, I haven’t had an instrument case-bitten since.

Believe me, you’ll be aware of this from now on, too.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-07-2019, 04:52 PM

Great cases but I was always wary of the metal rim and protruding latches on Hiscox cases and took care to lift the guitar clear and not drag or slide it across those metal components.
By comparison the Martin case has much softer edges and the latches are mounted lower.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-07-2019, 05:07 PM

Sorry that happened to you - I think its happened to all of us at least once,
including myself - a small ding -now im extra careful-
theirs no way to protect against that because the teeth go into the bottom
part of the latch ( unless you want to grind them off and put a big rubber band around your case ? )

Old 12-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

Since that first time back in 1976, or whenever it happened, I haven’t had an instrument case-bitten since.

Believe me, you’ll be aware of this from now on, too.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade, once bitten, twice shy.
My new mantra.
Thanks, mate.
David
Old 12-07-2019, 05:24 PM

This has happened a few times in my life. Once early on (as we all seem to need the experience in order to learn). Then a couple times when I was in a big hurry. I was lucky - none of the times resulted in anything but a minor ding.

I have noticed that as I get older, being in a hurry (and thus being distracted) is the number one cause of falls, slips and other miscalculations. I'm now understanding I can no longer afford to be in a hurry for anything.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-07-2019, 05:25 PM

Another good trick is to put your guitar in its case, close the lid but not latch it.
I've done that one with a guitar and also a new Selmer sax on a concrete floor.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
OP here. I like this, though I might reverse the steps.

On a more serious note, how do you manage the humidity issue. I use Humidipaks which keep the moisture level at about 40-44% in a closed case. I live in Maine, and it gets very dry in the winter. Even with the room humidifier I have where I keep my two guitars, it struggles to get to 38%, especially in the dead of winter when a trip to the garage can suck the water out of your pores.

Yeah, Maine is certainly tough like that. I grew up in Massachusetts, so I’m familiar with New England winters. Now I live in Seattle and we don’t have to worry that much.

My personal philosophy is that the humidity concerns are way overblown. If my guitars are anywhere in the 30-60% range, then I’m happy.

I’ve actually got a REALLY wild theory that temperature and humidity swings cause a guitar to expand and contract in a manner that helps it open up and resonate better. Those hundred year old Martins that make everybody weak in the knees? How do we think they were treated for the first decades of their life before AGF was invented and stoked paranoia?

But that’s a separate thread
Old 12-07-2019, 06:44 PM

It's already been mentioned, but I simply open the case with my right hand, hold the lid all the way open, and reach in with my free hand and remove the guitar...close the lid...

I'm reminded of what the old timer told me back in the 60's when I started riding and messing around with old Harleys...

"This ain't rocket science, kid..."
Old 12-07-2019, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
Another good trick is to put your guitar in its case, close the lid but not latch it.
I've done that one with a guitar and also a new Selmer sax on a concrete floor.
Ouch! The sound of my '74 Selmer Mark VI alto, or '54 Martin Committee tenor hitting a concrete floor would have a long echo. I hope the damage was not fatal.
David
Old 12-07-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Beginner guy here...well, about 7 months into it. Learned a valuable lesson, the hard way. Took my guitar out of the case without paying close enough attention and did not fully deploy the top. And one of the latch "teeth" caught the side of the neck and put an indentation in it.
David
Part of the journey . . .
Old 12-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Part of the journey . . .
Sigh. Could have been worse. It just caused a slight indentation on the side of the neck, perhaps 3/8" long. I suspect a luthier could fill it with some kind of epoxy and make it go away. But I might just leave it as a reminder.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
But I might just leave it as a reminder.
That’s probably the most practical response you can make. From now on, whenever you pick up the guitar to put it away, you’ll see that ding and remember your impetuous, youthful folly and the lasting mark it left on your guitar....

In all seriousness, it never hurts to be reminded of that. There’s no need to beat yourself up over it, but it happened and could happen again if you’re not mindful of that possibility.

whm
Old 12-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
That’s probably the most practical response you can make. From now on, whenever you pick up the guitar to put it away, you’ll see that ding and remember your impetuous, youthful folly and the lasting mark it left on your guitar....

In all seriousness, it never hurts to be reminded of that. There’s no need to beat yourself up over it, but it happened and could happen again if you’re not mindful of that possibility.

whm
Wade, "youthful folly,"... at age 63.
I fear that youth has precious little presence in my folly.
But you are kind beyond words for suggesting it.
David
Old 12-07-2019, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Made that mistake once a long time ago. Since then I habitually put the latches back down fully, instead of leaving them sticking out, before I remove the guitar from the case. Yes a slight inconvenience but better than accidentally gouging my guitar.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 12-07-2019, 10:03 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Wade, "youthful folly,"... at age 63.
I fear that youth has precious little presence in my folly.
But you are kind beyond words for suggesting it.
David
Beginner? At 63? Good for you! I also started playing at 63 when my lovely wife bought me a D-28 as my retirement gift. I’m 68 now and still suck...but luckily so far no case bites.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion