The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 09:26 AM

Question Martin 000 dilemma

Greetings everyone. My first post here, looking for some input on a Martin 000.

I have been playing guitar on and off for a few years. No lessons, I just watch videos and read chord charts. I have gotten to a point where I can play the basic chords and change from one chord to another with out stopping. I am a noob. I have bought and returned a few guitars for a variety of reasons. About a year ago I got a Seagull S6 and have been enjoying playing it since. I have gotten to a point where I think I have found a sound/tone that is pleasing to my ear and a shape that is comfortable to play- the 000.

I have been researching and playing two Martin 000s for a few months. The 15m and the 18. Both sound amazing, but different. Though they both have that mahogany sound that I like. The 18 is crisp, bright, and alive. The 15 is warm, dry, and has a growl to my ears that the 18 does not. They also play a bit differently. The 15 almost plays like an electric guitar.

I am a couch player, not a performer. I do not attend bluegrass jams, nor do I plan to. I like to play at home after a long day to relax. Volume is not something I necessarily seek. In fact, mellow is preferred.

I recently took the plunge and got a 000-18 at a local shop on a Black Friday special. However, I can’t get the 15 out of my head.

So after all this rambling- here is my question. Did I buy too much guitar with the 000-18? Would I be better suited with the 000-15? Is the 000-15m an heirloom quality guitar?

I have poured through many threads on this topic, and it seems that there is no bad choice here. I am curious to read perspectives from folks with much more experience than me. Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:36 AM

I play only fingerstyle.
I once owned a OOO-15 and tried some as well as OO-15 in stores...
I clearly prefer my heavenly sounding OOO-18 (2014) !
It stands besides my Taylor 322 and Gibson L-OOTV.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:37 AM

You are demonstrating a classic symptom of acute GAS. Caught between two choices, you make your selection and then have immediate doubts and reservations about your choice and cannot escape the siren song of the one you did not select.

Rest easy, it would not have mattered which guitar you picked - you would be second guessing yourself either way. This is a common manifestation of the affliction. There is no cure. Welcome to hell.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-07-2019, 09:39 AM

First, never be apologetic about buying a guitar that you can afford even though you are a beginner. That's your choice and your choice alone if it is worth it based on your level of skill.

Second, you will grow into this guitar over time. It will make you want to play it. And the more you play it, the better you will get if you do so purposefully.

Third, hang around here long enough and you will find yourself yearning for many, many more guitars. It's both a blessing and a curse being part of the discussions here.

Welcome to AGF and congratulations on a fantastic guitar.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 12-07-2019, 09:41 AM

Welcome to the forum!
You can’t go wrong with either choice there. However, if it’s that dry and warm sound that pleases you most then maybe the 15 is the guitar for you.
I feel the 18 is a more versatile guitar, but you know what you like.
Good luck! You have a fun journey ahead!
Scott
Old 12-07-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

The difference between the two is personal preference. I prefer the 18 series for the spruce top and versatility. Both are heirloom instruments. Play that heck out of that 000.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I've owned both. After reading your post, I think you should return the 18, and get the 15m. For how you plan to use it, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it more. I think that's what your gut is telling you, and I've found that with guitars, go with your gut (after your wallet, of course).
Old 12-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Thanks for all of the input.

You are all right. That is exactly what is going on and it’s exactly what I was afraid of! The price difference is a factor. But so is tone and long term value of the investment. I don’t want to go ‘cheap’ and regret it but I also don't want to overspend to play on my sofa.

I plan to spend a bit more time with the 000-18 before making the decision to swap it for the 15.

This is going to sound super dumb, but the 18 seems almost too nice to play. I am afraid of damaging it (dumb I know).

One additional factor in my decision is being a kid of the 90s many of the greats played 18 series Martins. Kurt Cobain, j Mascis, Lee Renaldo, Elliott Smith (same D18 that Kurt used on MTV unplugged). The 000-18 feels like I own a piece of history.

I am going to drive myself nuts!!!! 🙃

Last edited by kilgoret78; 12-07-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:51 AM

If you prefer the warmth of a Mahogany top I would return the 15 if possible.

Many say that Mahogany topped guitars are not as versatile, and perhaps that's true but once that Mahogany tone is in your head, it's hard to get it out.

You could return the 18 and get the 15 (& yes, they are lifetime guitars too) or you could keep the 18 and buy something like the Ibanez AC240. For $300 it gets you 90%+ to the Martin 15 series tone, seriously.

Since tone is your quest and not volume, I think I'd return the 18 for the 15. My .02

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-07-2019, 09:58 AM

I had and sold one of the Artwood Ibanez Mahogany guitars. I did not like it. Great suggestion though!
Old 12-07-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoret78 View Post
Thanks for all of the input.

You are all right. That is exactly what is going on and it’s exactly what I was afraid of! The price difference is a factor. But so is tone and long term value of the investment. I don’t want to go ‘cheap’ and regret it but I also don't want to overspend to play on my sofa.

I plan to spend a bit more time with the 000-18 before making the decision to swap it for the 15.

This is going to sound super dumb, but the 18 seems almost too nice to play. I am afraid of damaging it (dumb I know).
Well, not dumb - just human. I almost bought an American Breedlove all Mahogany last night because it was the SDOTD at MF. 1/2 price ($899). I gig all my guitars. I didn't buy the Breedlove because I've had $1200 guitars before and have returned to $200-300 ones. But...... my situation is different.

If I was to have just one, or two I would get the best sounding and playing guitar I could buy. A $1500 guitar will last decades if cared for, so you are really just paying a few cents a day for a hobby that can only enrich your life.

Don't feel guilty for buying something nice. And don't think about resale price (just know that Taylor & Martin hold value better than any other big brand).

Whichever guitar you choose -just play it and have fun.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Keep the 000-18 !!

I once owned a LA Guitar sales custom OM-15 (like the production 000-15m except for tortoise binding and bigger neck/wider string spacing) for 5 years and it was a great guitar, but as I became a better player I realized its limitations. Yes it was slinky to play and super light-weight. But the 000-18 with the Sitka top is more versatile in the long run. You will see.

Don’t EVER apologize to yourself for owning too much guitar. For the record, I now own a 2007 000-18 Authentic (Adi over mahogany), and it is in the top 3 best Martins I’ve ever owned or played.

Take comfort in your choice of the 18 — you bought an heirloom.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-07-2019, 10:06 AM

Option 1. Return the 000-18 and get the 000-15.

Option 2. Buy the 000-15 and enjoy both guitars if your budget permits.

Whatever you decide, welcome to AGF. This is a GAS-inducing forum.

I know because the 00-15 or 000-15 is probably my next target although I already have the Dread Junior 2 (all-Sapele) but it doesn’t sound exactly similar to the 15 series.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Here's some potentially bad advice from a habitual A/B'er. I believe that many of us will never overcome GAS. If you return and get the 15, you might well regret someday getting rid of the 18. Vice-versa as well.

Have you priced out buying one of each, used and in good condition? Then you can play both together longer term and the answer will probably be clear. You can often times find great prices on used guitars that are in really nice shape. They might have a scratch or a ding...but it hurts less when you put a scratch on a used guitar versus a new one.

...said the guy who is trying to decide between one of my long term guitars versus a dream guitar...

Resistance is futile.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:15 AM

Default Martin 000 dilemma

That 000-18 is a great guitar. I prefer the 18 series to the 15 series. The 15s are cool, and taste is subjective, but for me personally, the 18s are nicer in just about every way. Try to get past the feeing that the 18 is too good for you. Play it and get better and make it yours, little inevitable dings and playwear notwithstanding.

Also, there nothing inherent about a 15 that makes it play easier or more “like an electric guitar”. There’s no reason your 000-18 can’t be set up to play easier if it doesn’t feel quite right. Take it to a good guitar tech if need be.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000, 000-15, 000-18, martin