The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-13-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I would like to but I'd as they are all prints from negatives (i.e. real film) and "adjusted" in the darkroom, I'd have to re-photograph them all.

It's something I've been thinking about.
I'm in the same position. I have hundreds (if not thousands) of great (IMO) photographs, and no good copy stand, like I used to have (Bencher M3), to make quality copies of these photographs.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
Talk about "being out of the loop", I have a Leica IIIg, circa 1956, SM with a bunch of lenses etc. is there any trade value for this stuff? "Geez, I made good time---where am I?"

Fog
I certainly believe there is!!!

Check with some of the larger retailers who work with Leica (B&H comes to mind) but you would probably do quite well selling to a private party (kinda like guitars! )

Best,
PJ
Old 10-13-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I'm in the same position. I have hundreds (if not thousands) of great (IMO) photographs, and no good copy stand, like I used to have (Bencher M3), to make quality copies of these photographs.
Hi, I certainly have hundreds of prints, mounted for exhibition, and I used a ot of them for talks to camera clubs and other organisations.

I rarely made more than one print unless someone wanted a copy, but as I did a lot of darkroom work, they were not easy to reproduce.

I've been thinking of making some videos of some and using the old stories about them that used to be very popular at my talks.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been thinking of making some videos of some and using the old stories about them that used to be very popular at my talks.
I, for one, would love to see you do something like that. Consider this more encouragement!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Once that creative window is open, the breeze blows in many forms.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 10-13-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Hi, I certainly have hundreds of prints, mounted for exhibition, and I used a ot of them for talks to camera clubs and other organisations.

I rarely made more than one print unless someone wanted a copy, but as I did a lot of darkroom work, they were not easy to reproduce.

Thanks for the encouragement.
That sounds like a great idea, Andy.

Most of the photographs I'd like to copy/digitize are unmounted fiberbase prints; they are not flat like a mounted print would be which makes it more difficult. Back when I had the M3 copystand I also had a very large vacuum easel to hold things down. Something I need to think about.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 10-16-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
...or, limits creativity. BTDT
I disagree completely.

It's not unlike getting a new instrument. Do you write songs? Ever buy a 12-string? You want to start writing songs which lend themselves to a 12-string. I know that's happened to me.

I see this as being pretty much the exact same thing...
Old 10-15-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I started on the TLb, the FTb's little brother and pined for the Mamiya C330.

Ah the good ol' days...

But in the interest of full disclosure, I still consider my 8x10 field camera my "hobby" camera

Best,
PJ
Small world! My first SLR was a TLb that I bought for $50 at the store where my older brother worked.

1978, maybe?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
I disagree completely.

It's not unlike getting a new instrument. Do you write songs? Ever buy a 12-string? You want to start writing songs which lend themselves to a 12-string. I know that's happened to me.

I see this as being pretty much the exact same thing...
No, it isn't.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't.
I'm not sure what you're responding to.

I said I see it as pretty much the same thing. That's my opinion. While I'm sure you have your own, and acknowledge that it's different, it doesn't diminish mine an iota.

I see it as inspiring creativity because it forces me to approach photography in a different way. I can't rely on zoom lenses to help compose my shots when I'm shooting with the Fuji. I have to make interesting photographs differently.

People draw creative inspiration in different ways...
Old 10-15-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're responding to.

I said I see it as pretty much the same thing. That's my opinion. While I'm sure you have your own, and acknowledge that it's different, it doesn't diminish mine an iota.

I see it as inspiring creativity because it forces me to approach photography in a different way. I can't rely on zoom lenses to help compose my shots when I'm shooting with the Fuji. I have to make interesting photographs differently.

I get, and as previously stated - BTDT. Until I got my recent Canon digital cameras with L series zoom lenses, I only used prime lenses, sometimes a single one, but usually two to five different focal length, depending of what camera system I had with me (ranging from 35mm through 8x10, and everything in between). Yes, it does require a greater understanding of composition, and makes one try to be more creative, generally. It is particularly fun when I go out with my Hasselbald SWC. For several years I used nothing but my Rolleiflex 3.5E (Zeiss Planar)with Konica Infrared 750 and a Rollei glass #29 filter. Yeah, it had two lenses , but only one for creating the actually image. At present, I have only two cameras with a single lens - a Primo Jr. (once again, a TLR but only one taking lens) and a R.B. Auto Graflex with a 180mm Tessar. I know that film is still available for the former, but, unfortunately, the other uses 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 pack film. I did have a Contax T for a while but quickly grew tired of using it, due to its way too small to hold comfortably size. The 8x10 was a Deardorff pre-war model that had a triple convertible Wollensak Velostigmat lens, but even though I had three focal lengths available, it was a PITA to set up the different cell configurations so I rarely used other than the widest (normal) focal length.

If you have any recs on a fully manual fixed lens digital camera (with easy, immediate access to shutter speed and aperture controls, as in, dials, like on mechanical cameras of yore), I'm all ears as it would be a convenient camera to have for some things, these days.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I get, and as previously stated - BTDT. Until I got my recent Canon digital cameras with L series zoom lenses, I only used prime lenses, sometimes a single one, but usually two to five different focal length, depending of what camera system I had with me (ranging from 35mm through 8x10, and everything in between). Yes, it does require a greater understanding of composition, and makes one try to be more creative, generally. It is particularly fun when I go out with my Hasselbald SWC. For several years I used nothing but my Rolleiflex 3.5E (Zeiss Planar)with Konica Infrared 750 and a Rollei glass #29 filter. Yeah, it had two lenses , but only one for creating the actually image. At present, I have only two cameras with a single lens - a Primo Jr. (once again, a TLR but only one taking lens) and a R.B. Auto Graflex with a 180mm Tessar. I know that film is still available for the former, but, unfortunately, the other uses 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 pack film. I did have a Contax T for a while but quickly grew tired of using it, due to its way too small to hold comfortably size. The 8x10 was a Deardorff pre-war model that had a triple convertible Wollensak Velostigmat lens, but even though I had three focal lengths available, it was a PITA to set up the different cell configurations so I rarely used other than the widest (normal) focal length.
Again, I'm not entirely sure what you're replying to. Honestly, it sounds like you're trying to impress me with the photo equipment you've used. Please, really, don't do that...

Quote:
If you have any recs on a fully manual fixed lens digital camera (with easy, immediate access to shutter speed and aperture controls, as in, dials, like on mechanical cameras of yore), I'm all ears as it would be a convenient camera to have for some things, these days.
I shot in manual, aperture and shutter priority with the X100F this past weekend, and it was simple enough...
Old 10-15-2019, 09:17 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:

Well said, I have the X100T and have realized the same. It is also lighter, smaller, quieter, and less obvious to individuals when shooting street photography and family events.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:19 PM

I'm going to give GoPro photography and video a second try. An older one we have does not focus in underwater circumstances.The nice underwater camera we had is no more. We rented a GoPro at a dive shop last year and while super-wide angle, noticed it had still capabilities our old one was not so good at.

Fast forward, I saw COSTCO has the outgoing model in a bundle and now there's a phone app too.

I'm also interested because I tire of carrying gear. My last international trip was a new iPhone and the underwater camera. That was liberating. One of my kids carried the DSLR & two lenses. With a trip ahead I'll get used to what the GoPro can do and then decide if I want another camera for snorkel or dives vs this.

I'm not a frequent diver or snorkeler so renting a more specialized underwater camera and trying this seem like a good idea.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As many of us have tried to point out, every currently available digital camera worth its salt is capable of being operated in a fully manual mode.

Insisting on a particular set of knobs, dials and switches seems peculiarly pedantic to me.

After reading a number of recent reviews, maybe a Fujifilm X-Pro3 might suit you. But beware, it does include several automated functions for you to take objection to, rather than just simply ignore
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic