The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone use Martin Monel (Retro) wound strings w. regular trebles?

Does anyone know if the Retro unwound strings (the two highest B & E) are also Monel?

I tried my first Retro yesterday and changed them one by one to hear the tonal comparison. THe wound was as strong or stronger than the D'Addario Phosphor Bronzes of similar gauge. But the trebles are clearly more anemic in both volume and overtones. Anyone else find this about the treble?

And anyone use just the treble of other brands to match the monel wounds? Curious.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:32 AM

You are not mistaken. I have noticed the same. It is much worse on my 714 than my 000 but very obvious on both. I think the monels are ok with a pick but not so good with bare flesh.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:06 AM

I think the B and E are plain steel. Monel is the wrap wire. It’s no different than any other steel string set - the top two strings are plain, and the rest have wrap wire of whatever compound the string set is.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
I think the B and E are plain steel. Monel is the wrap wire. It’s no different than any other steel string set - the top two strings are plain, and the rest have wrap wire of whatever compound the string set is.
That's correct. That's the industry standard: the wound strings have wraps of whatever alloy that is used with that particular set, but the plain steel string B and high E are just plain steel.

whm
Old 12-09-2019, 09:46 AM

Hmm. Interesting! What then accounts for this phenomenon, described by the OP?
Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Hmm. Interesting! What then accounts for this phenomenon, described by the OP?
Perception bias. We often hear what we want to hear or at least what we are hoping/expecting to hear.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
I tried my first Retro yesterday and changed them one by one to hear the tonal comparison. THe wound was as strong or stronger than the D'Addario Phosphor Bronzes of similar gauge.
Interesting! I just tried Retros on my 000-15SM, and found them to be significantly quieter and 'softer' than Martin PB strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist View Post
I think the monels are ok with a pick but not so good with bare flesh.
Funny, my takeaway was the exact opposite. The Retros had a nice intimate character when played fingerstyle, but sounded too soft when picked.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 12-09-2019, 11:05 AM

In a couple of days I'll get my guitar back from the shop, where it's being set up. I asked them to put some Retros on it. Now I'm afraid they'll suck!
Old 12-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Perception bias. We often hear what we want to hear or at least what we are hoping/expecting to hear.
+1
Most plain steel strings sound about the same. It’s only the wrapped strings that vary....
Old 12-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
So you’re saying here that the OP was hoping that the new strings he just went to the trouble of putting on, would sound anemic in the trebles?

“Wishful thinking” can only explain so much.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
So you’re saying here that the OP was hoping that the new strings he just went to the trouble of putting on, would sound anemic in the trebles?

No, I think the wound strings, listening to them one by one, had the effect of changing what the OP was hearing in the unwound strings that came after.

Not so much "wishful thinking", but context. The context was new and different.

That's my guess....
Old 12-09-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

Not really. What I'm saying is that the OP was expecting them to sound different, not better, and so they did. We're all guilty of it.

Back when I worked as a recording engineer there was a trick that was used when an artist asked for something like more reverb or compression when there was already too much. You would just turn a knob and say "how's that"? 99% of the time the answer was "great" despite nothing changing.

I used to have a tube bass DI that was great for recording. I also liked to run the bass through it with it's 1/4 output in front an amp playing live. It sounded better to me and I did it for about a year. At a gig, a friend pointed out that what I was doing was just running it through the true bypass, not the actual tube DI circuit. In reality there was no difference in the sound doing what I was doing vs. plugging straight into the amp yet I had been hearing it as better.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
In a couple of days I'll get my guitar back from the shop, where it's being set up. I asked them to put some Retros on it. Now I'm afraid they'll suck!
I have retros on one of my guitars, thats what was on it when I purchased it. I kinda like them. They are about 2 months old and still sound fresh.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
I have retros on one of my guitars, thats what was on it when I purchased it. I kinda like them. They are about 2 months old and still sound fresh.
Word around the forum is that you have to wait forever before they sound good. Guess I'll find out.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Word around the forum is that you have to wait forever before they sound good. Guess I'll find out.
Don't listen to that hogwash. They sound great right out of the bag and settle in nicely after a few days.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion