The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-08-2019, 06:04 PM

I picked up a nice Beeman single pump rifle with both .22 and .177 barrels a few months back. I still haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces but I'm sure I'll find some time in the next few weeks.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 12-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
My uncle (since deceased) had an eye put out by a BB gun as a kid. He hada glass eye (and low self esteem) his entire adult life.
Just reminded me ......one of my older brother's (actually my guitar mentor) best friends had his eye injured with a BB gun and he wore glasses his entire life from it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-08-2019, 09:37 PM

I always wanted one when I was a kid but my mother wouldn't allow it. However, I always knew someone who had one so I actually spent a fair amount of time plinking.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I had one as a boy and shot anything and everything with it. Not good. Everything. When I got a little older I even shot up my model airplanes I had hanging from my bedroom ceiling. One time my older brother chased me out of the house in a rain storm and was shooting at me as I hide in the back yard. I never bought my kids one.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-09-2019, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I had one as a boy and shot anything and everything with it. Not good. Everything. When I got a little older I even shot up my model airplanes I had hanging from my bedroom ceiling. One time my older brother chased me out of the house in a rain storm and was shooting at me as I hide in the back yard. I never bought my kids one.
Well like anything they need to be treated with respect. I can't say my brothers and I were perfect in that regard however.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:47 AM

As a young child, the two things I wanted more than anything were a bb gun and a minibike. The kind with a lanmower engine in a little frame.
Well I got the "you will shoot your eye out", and "you will kill yourself on that thing", so as a child I did not have either.

Fast forward to being old enough to do what I chose and the itch was scratched with a string of high horsepower sportbikes and semi automatic rifles.

And somehow, I'm still here with both eyes.
Sometimes mother does not know best.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 12-09-2019, 09:39 AM

I see I'm not the only child who was deprived. I wanted a lot more than minibikes and guns and never got the wish list filled such as lobbying for an in ground swimming pool I promised to take care of.

There are not a lot of biathlon programs but that's a really neat way for a kid to be exposed to shooting in the modern era of so many drop off programs and it is just overall neat stuff. It's not exactly my 1960s being among feral kids scenario but gets kids out.

Biathlon rifle look also came to mind when air guns were in local news and in an incident where my wife works. They don't have a copy other guns look. Kids using air guns now might be safer that way.

I've helped teach our club kids and also liked the biathlon context because of the education process. It's just a totally good way to teach the shooting and well being stuff.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
As a young child, the two things I wanted more than anything were a bb gun and a minibike. The kind with a lanmower engine in a little frame.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I see I'm not the only child who was deprived. I wanted a lot more than minibikes ....
(in a recent post I described how my prized car was stolen)....I was a motorhead and the thing that really fixated me was my most important possession as a kid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lil indian.jpg (54.6 KB, 71 views)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
(in a recent post I described how my prized car was stolen)....I was a motorhead and the thing that really fixated me was my most important possession as a kid.

We were considering them (boonie/mini bikes) to aid trail work but instead are getting a top model Kubota diesel UTV. I'm not sure we can call that still deprived.

Check out Coleman for a current minibike some associates consider known good. Some pursue original Heathkit Boonie Bikes.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:42 AM

I coveted a few items;

Hightop leather boots with a jackknife holster on the top side of the right boot. Later found out from a friend who had a pair that they were the coldest boots he ever owned.

Lionel electric train------nope!

Daisy Red Rider BB gun (Vetoed by my Mom)

Sling shot with a nice crotch etc. I was taken right to the police station by my Mom and the police chief took it away.

Schwinn "Black Phantom" bike----never happened!

Mossberg .22 semi-auto rifle with fold down front stock (I guess making it an assault like weapon) as advertised in the comic books at the time. I bought one when I was an adult------it was a lousy gun and it jammed up quickly!

I guess it didn't help that I had two older brothers that took my Mom to school1

Fog
Old 12-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
As a young child, the two things I wanted more than anything were a bb gun and a minibike. The kind with a lanmower engine in a little frame.
Wow...we must be the same age. My Dad was a hard “NO” on the mini bike even though literally all my friends had them.

The decades pass and you get over things...until now!

As far as a BB gun, never had one, never really wanted one then but I think it would be fun to have one now (not a gun guy). I do believe my wife would think I’ve lost my mind. Self policing on this one.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

One fun aspect of shooting a bb gun is the comparatively slow speed of the bb. You can follow it in flight a lot of the time, much like an arrow. And so compensate when you miss, which in my case is a lot. You do need quite a bit of space. More of a rural toy I suppose.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
One fun aspect of shooting a bb gun is the comparatively slow speed of the bb. You can follow it in flight a lot of the time, much like an arrow. And so compensate when you miss, which in my case is a lot. You do need quite a bit of space. More of a rural toy I suppose.
Back in the 60s, a fellow took advantage of this phenomena to develop an “instinct shooting” technique using a BB gun for training.

The idea was to ignore the sights, and use both eyes open to “triangulate” the target. Since the BBs were easily seen in flight, it was easy to “dial in” your shots.
Trainees were generally able to hit thrown objects like an aspirin tablet even after a relatively short time. This got so popular even the military took up the system.
I played with it quite a bit, and still use the technique all these years later at our range sessions with the AR-15, when we do the “close combat” drills.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:02 AM

My Dad used to have a Crossman .177 that we'd shoot cans with back in the 70's.

Not sure what happened to that thing. My brother may have it.

I've moved on to somewhat larger calibers now...
Old 12-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Back in the 60s, a fellow took advantage of this phenomena to develop an “instinct shooting” technique using a BB gun for training.

The idea was to ignore the sights, and use both eyes open to “triangulate” the target. Since the BBs were easily seen in flight, it was easy to “dial in” your shots.
Trainees were generally able to hit thrown objects like an aspirin tablet even after a relatively short time. This got so popular even the military took up the system.
I played with it quite a bit, and still use the technique all these years later at our range sessions with the AR-15, when we do the “close combat” drills.
An aspirin tablet in flight? That I would have to see.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic