The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Default New bridge pins - to sand or to drill?

According to several posts, when folks install new bridge pins that are initially a bit too big, they either carefully enlarge the holes in the bridge or sand down the pins. I'm in the later camp. If I were to make the holes too large, it would be more difficult/expensive to make them smaller again. On the other hand, if I sand down the pins too much, it's relatively cheap to buy another set of pins and try again.

As for a technique to sand down the pins, I use a variable speed drill, a small file (even a nail file may work) and a 1" piece of 1/4" landscape drip line. The drip line works great to hold the pin. Just insert the narrow end of the pin into the drip line - maybe 3/8" - and then put the drip line all the way into drill chuck until it's flush with the outside and gently tighten it. I usually sand for no more than 10 seconds at a time, and then see if it fits. Rinse and repeat until it fits perfectly. And because I am extra picky/lazy, I use a thin permanent marker to mark each pin with its hole number so I don't have to guess each time I change strings.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:03 PM

you haven't stated that they are in fact too big. did you buy the correct size? if so, then i would sand the pins very carefully. reaming the holes can be done with a correct reaming tool. i've done bridgeslotomys on my guitars but with the proper tools. good idea on identifying the respective pins with a marker.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

I’m with you. Work on he least expensive part. What would you rather mess up, a $2000 guitar or a $2 pin?

I just lay a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface and sand by hand. Each bone pin takes a couple of minutes. Fast enough for me.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Here is my thread on how I do it

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-22-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
According to several posts, when folks install new bridge pins that are initially a bit too big, they either carefully enlarge the holes in the bridge or sand down the pins. I'm in the later camp. If I were to make the holes too large, it would be more difficult/expensive to make them smaller again. On the other hand, if I sand down the pins too much, it's relatively cheap to buy another set of pins and try again.

As for a technique to sand down the pins, I use a variable speed drill, a small file (even a nail file may work) and a 1" piece of 1/4" landscape drip line. The drip line works great to hold the pin. Just insert the narrow end of the pin into the drip line - maybe 3/8" - and then put the drip line all the way into drill chuck until it's flush with the outside and gently tighten it. I usually sand for no more than 10 seconds at a time, and then see if it fits. Rinse and repeat until it fits perfectly. And because I am extra picky/lazy, I use a thin permanent marker to mark each pin with its hole number so I don't have to guess each time I change strings.
Buy better pins.

Pins come from many sources. They can be dirt cheap on ebay. But who knows what size they are even if they specify a size. Bridge pins are a cottage industry, not always very good. If it's ebony for $2.49 a set...

I have purchased numerous sets of pins from Shabbychick. (On ebay.) They are made by Gurian. They fit Taylors, Seagulls, Guilds, Gibsons. They fit with little or no sanding/reaming. Very well made pins.
Stewmac sells pins for Martins. I bought a bone set of pins from them. Nearly a perfect fit. VERY light sanding with extremely fine emery cloth.

None of these pins were cheap. None were real expensive either.

Shabbychick's pins come in quite a variety of woods. Stewmac's are more limited but they still have a good selection. Bone, Snakewood, Ebony, more.

Reaming pin holes requires an expensive, but good reamer. Too much expense, too much of a chance of messing up. The cheap reamers do not cut the proper taper.

When in doubt, pay a good luthier to do the job.

Save your guitar.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
...I just lay a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface and sand by hand. ...
Speed isn't my objective, but I don't think I could keep 'em round this way.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Speed isn't my objective, but I don't think I could keep 'em round this way.
read reply #4

Old 02-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Simple answer.

Which is cheaper if you make a mistake.
Buying new pins, or replacing the bridge ?

Ed
Old 02-22-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
read reply #4
Similar techniques. Mine's the version for those who don't own a drill press. But same concept. Both make nice round pins.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Excellent Technique fazool!
I have mostly just hand sanded many of mine, which allowed me to check often with calipers or just hand check in the hole. But I like the method you have created. I have also used a SnapZ pin puller to hold the pin while hand sanding.
I have purchased lots and lots of pins.(I could have bought an new guitar with the money I have spent on pins!) I liked LMI cause they always were oversized, which allowed me to custom fit to perfection. However they do not make the two Wood choices, that I now prefer. I get most of mine from shabbychick which as stated are made by Gurian. However they are usually undersized a tiny bit. Which is o.k... just not super tight fit that I got when oversized & sanded down.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
Simple answer.

Which is cheaper if you make a mistake.
Buying new pins, or replacing the bridge ?

Ed
This ! Pins, however expensive are secondary to the instrument. I have small wooden blocks that fit in a vice and take the pins in holes, so I can sand them down with strips of sandpaper. I got these blocks with a set of pins, and keep them in my guitar toolbox.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
Buy better pins...
I realize this is somewhat subjective, but for the record they are Graphtech Tusq pins. I used their traditional style which initially would not sit down to the collar where I wanted it. Their presentation style would have been too small.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^Enough said.^^^^^^ It just makes sense!
Old 02-22-2019, 04:18 PM

Never had to do either. Buy the correct pins from a reputable person/company and they will fit.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Never had to do either. Buy the correct pins from a reputable person/company and they will fit.
Old and worn bridges need oversized pins and they don't come in perfectly sized increments.

Also some manufacturers (ahem! Ibanez) use very oddball sizes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bridge pins