The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 06:36 PM

Default Halcyon Guitars

OK, so on rec on another thread, I called and spoke to Ed. He actually called me back after finishing up a Rosette he was working on. Nice touch. Anyway, we discussed my custom build.

The guitar that has caught my ear and heart is a Lowden S23, so we discussed deep body 00/000 in Cedar over Walnut, short scale, etc. I love the idea of supporting the small bench Luther, and of course the price point is significantly lower, albeit it comes with a 10 to 12 month wait. I have a Northwood that is my fav over a j45 and 000-15SM, both nice guitars of course, but fit, finish, voicing, etc., no comparison.

Knowing that he's not building me a Lowden, does anyone on this board have a direct comparo experience they can relay? Similar tone woods and size not important.

As the message to Ed stated, looking for Canadian sensibility combined with Celtic romance and soul.
Thanks
Scott
Old 02-20-2019, 08:21 PM

Ed worked for years at Larrivee and even bought some of their tooling when they closed the Vancouver instrument manufacturing.

I think of his guitars as Larrivee sensibility, with more of a Martin voice, and Ed's painstaking attention to detail.

If I were ordering a custom 00 Cedar/Walnut or OM he would be the first guy I went to. The only real question would be 12, 13, or 14 frets clear of the body.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-21-2019, 12:10 AM

You know, I was going to reply to your other thread and then I saw this one. I have a Halcyon NL-00, redwood over walnut with bloodwood bindings. It is an amazing guitar in every way. It's beautiful to look at, has amazing rich tone, very resonant, it's well balanced but I can feel the back rumble against my body when I fingerpick over an Em chord. I love it, and I will never part with it. I too am interested in Lowden guitars, but I've never had a chance to play one. I am planning to contact Ed soon about building me another guitar, this time an MJ which is similar in size to a Lowden O. I think you will be very pleased with your Halcyon, but yeah, that wait is hard!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

My Halcyon is the most responsive guitar I’ve ever owned, and that includes a Lowden F. Highly recommend Ed’s work.

-Mike
Old 02-21-2019, 06:57 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I keep drooling over Ed's guitars. One of these years........

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-21-2019, 09:14 AM

Default Halcyon clips?

Long shot, but anyone have any Halcyon clips they would share? Of course, cedar over Walnut direct would be nice, but any small body will be fine.

Found a few on the webz.
And Ed, the pleasure was mine. Keep in mind my promise to descend on your shop with a single malt.
Scott
Old 02-21-2019, 09:56 AM

I have a Tinker NL, cedar on walnut, built in 2017. Tinker is Ed's higher end. It's a pretty fine guitar but it's not a go-to for me and I'm willing to sell it. It's listed on Reverb now. PM me if you're interested. eljay
Old 02-21-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
Long shot, but anyone have any Halcyon clips they would share? Of course, cedar over Walnut direct would be nice, but any small body will be fine.

Found a few on the webz.
And Ed, the pleasure was mine. Keep in mind my promise to descend on your shop with a single malt.
Scott
I have a really short sound clip of my Halcyon OM Lutz spruce / EIR
As others have stated Ed builds a very responsive guitar with good balance and volume and excellent fit and finish. I don't think you can go wrong choosing a Halcyon.

I've also owned a Lowden and it was a very different animal. Lowden's are extremely responsive but with a unique tone all their own. Really amazing guitars, I'd like to own another someday.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:09 PM

I've been leaning toward a cedar-top Halcyon 00. I'm hoping they'll be at the La Conner Guitar Festival this year so I can scope them out.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:51 PM

Its been by impression that Halleys have their own sound and wont sound like a Lowden. It is somewhat between a Gibson and a Martin, very nice, clean sound. Im sure youll like it.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I've been leaning toward a cedar-top Halcyon 00. I'm hoping they'll be at the La Conner Guitar Festival this year so I can scope them out.
I will not be there. I was told the Tinkers would be ok but the Halcyons weren't, and I just don't have time to do any T's on spec right now. Plus the grilling I got at the border last year when I went to just go look, even with an empty truck, was rather unpalatable...

Last edited by Halcyon/Tinker; 02-21-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:32 AM

Added to that, my fave band The Tea Party is in town that weekend, so I'm going no further than downtown...let's hope a lefty mando is ready by then!
Old 02-22-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
I will not be there. I was told the Tinkers would be ok but the Halcyons weren't, and I just don't have time to do any T's on spec right now. Plus the grilling I got at the border last year when I went to just go look, even with an empty truck, was rather unpalatable...
I'm sorry to hear that, especially the part about your reception at our border. I'm serious about wanting to investigate Halcyon guitars, so this is greater impetus for me getting up to Vancouver. Perhaps for the international guitar festival up there....
Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 PM

I'm afraid I'm skipping that one this year as well. If it had been in July or August, I may have managed it, but the timing just didn't align. However, of you are in town to see it (and you should, lots of pretty toys!), feel free to come by the shop and I can show what I have going on...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion