The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
Thanks, cool video!
Old 01-30-2019, 10:35 PM

The tops are solid wood, correct?

The back and sides aren't as big of a determining factor in tone as the top and construction methods. I'm interested enough to play one if the chance arises.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 01-31-2019, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I need to check him out more, on YT or somewhere. I know almost nothing about him.

scott memmer
Scott, you really need to see and hear more that just one song here of there to get the feel of what Ed Sheeran does.

Check out the concert I posted on page 7 of this thread. It's post #104. I put t up on the big TV with the sound system. I had never paid any attention to him but that made me a fan.

I don't think it makes any difference which guitar Ed plays. It's all electrified and layered and it comes out a winner!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Scott, you really need to see and hear more that just one song here of there to get the feel of what Ed Sheeran does.

Check out the concert I posted on page 7 of this thread. It's post #104. I put t up on the big TV with the sound system. I had never paid any attention to him but that made me a fan.

I don't think it makes any difference which guitar Ed plays. It's all electrified and layered and it comes out a winner!
Totally agree. Very diverse songwriter, so there’s something for everyone’s tastes (or conversely not everyone’s cup of tea). Everything from love song to rap song. Watching a live concert video is really the best way to introduce yourself to his music. Jumpers for Goalposts-Live at Wembley is what got me hooked.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 02-01-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
Anyone know what type of instrument mic is being used here? Thanks!
If it's what I think it looks like, it might be a DPA d:Vote Core 4099G. Not cheap at around £450.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Do you feel that way because you just generally don’t think a laminate box is good enough or you think that $700-1000 for a laminate is too much? (Or both?)
I'm sure that will be the sticky point for many true-blue acoustic players/buyers. But IMHO, many great classicals have laminate sides, & some backs as well. To get a Lowden at 1/3 the price, SOMETHING had to be altered.

What I do like is they are built by Lowden, not shipped off to Pacific Rim makers (who make fine guitars). Which employ Irish workers in same vein Chris Martin saved Martin Guitar with lower-priced alternatives and kept the people in Nazareth employed.

My "sticky-point" is the UST which I've never been fond of, but I've not played the Baggs Element VTC, I hope someone will chime in on that. I'd like to get the rosewood "S" model but it seems it doesn't come without the pick up. so I'm hung up on Walnut/Cedar w/o pickup or Rosewood Cedar with the Baggs and remove it if I don't like it.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. I would like to play one first but I've taken bigger risks on guitars.

In the end, glad to see the collaboration and hope the best for all concerned.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysunday View Post

My "sticky-point" is the UST which I've never been fond of, but I've not played the Baggs Element VTC, I hope someone will chime in on that. I'd like to get the rosewood "S" model but it seems it doesn't come without the pick up. so I'm hung up on Walnut/Cedar w/o pickup or Rosewood Cedar with the Baggs and remove it if I don't like it
I have to be honest and say that the pickup is the reason I’m not interested. Unless you’re using something higher end or less obtrusive, I wish makers would leave pickups to me, but I know that’s unrealistic. This guitar isn’t aimed at those who are more discriminating or snobby or picky.

I’ve had this pickup in many guitars only because it comes in them already and I think it’s terrible at amplifying the actual guitar’s sound. It sounds ok and is usable, but does a terrible job of making the guitar’s unique sound louder. It’s in so many guitars so it must be liked by many, I just think every time I play one “this sounds ok, but sounds nothing like this guitar”.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:55 PM

I like the Baggs Element VST as I have had it on two guitars. It sounds more natural than a typical UST and greatly reduced quack. Coupled with a decent parametric equalizer and it is quite good.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Just seems like they cheapened the brand. Martin, Taylor, etc. got away with it. Perhaps Lowden will too. All a fan can do is wait to see how it plays out.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Lowden is a far more exclusive brand than Martin. I've never even seen a Lowden but I've seen hundreds of Martins. If the Sheeran is as good as it can be, it can be the ''entry drug'' to a Lowden just like the MartinX is for the much better Martin's.

I'm hoping to try one of the Sheeran's this spring at Music Zoo neer me. It's a great shop where I'll be able to compare it the Martin, Gibson, and Taylor's that I'm more familiar with.

Also want to try the Gibson G-45 Studio. See which I like better and if I like the G or the Sheeran enough to sell off a guitar to make room for it.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

The Mexican Martins haven't hurt the reputation of Martin's better guitars. Same for the 1 and 2 series Taylors. I've even seen it written here that the 1's and 2's are people's favorite Taylors. Epiphone's, well I just don't like Epi's but I can still appreciate a good Gibson.

If I do get a Sheeran guitar, I'll buy it without ever hearing a Lowden.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 AM

Default First review I've seen

https://guitar.com/review/acoustic-g...s04-acoustics/
Old 04-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffryn View Post
This is the kind of review commentary I've been waiting for (but I suggest you read the whole thing):

Quote:
Now the midrange is less prominent, harp-like treble and ethereal harmonics we associate with the Lowden brand breathe more freely. It might be somewhat predictable, but it would be remiss not to explore DADGAD in a Lowden review. Where the W02 gets bluesy, the S04 comes over all Celtic and the low-end holds together particularly well.

Again, the bass is far from earth-shaking, but it’s deep and solid enough, and the S04 certainly retains its balance in dropped tunings. We also find it has a greater depth of tone and complexity than the W02 – so much so that we have to double check that the body really is laminated.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I played a Lowden S-22 a couple of weeks ago and loved it. I is a beautiful little guitar with a lazer like tone. But over the past weeks I kind of fell out of love. I was back to the shop today and while it is a sweet little guitar, I just don't need it. I did play a Lowden O-35 that I could fall in true true love with if it wasn't so far out of my price range. It's over $7000

I'm going to pass on the Sheeran, but for the right player, it will be a sweet guitar.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I absolutely agree with this comment. Bad business move I think.
Agreed. The guitar's quality cannot be on a par with George's hard-learned and earned reputation, and he knows that, so risking his name on it must have an up-front offset from Sheeran. And, for his part in it, Sheeran's ROI remains a mystery to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion