The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

You should immediately call your cc company and ask for their assistance so you know where they stand. The dealer may have no choice given the minor nature of their claims but to accept your return.

If what you are saying regarding the extent of the so called damage then it seems like the dealer is being unreasonable. There is inherent risk in offering to let someone try the guitar whether that is in the shop or off site. Its entirely reasonable to expect minor play wear that only shows up under magnification, which may have already been present when it was shipped to you. This is the cost of doing business that they should not be trying to pass on to customers in this manner.

I would not be bullied into paying a restocking fee, which could be substainhial, let alone the entire cost of the guitar. That is absurd. If pressed and if it would resolve the matter quickly I might possibly offer a token buffing fee of $50. Anything more than that and I would fight it tooth and nail.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60

Last edited by HeyMikey; 01-17-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Fiddler View Post
...a couple micro scratches that a close up camera can just detect, even though most eyes would not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Is there evidence that the scratches existed before you received it?
Is there any evidence those scratches didn't exist before you received it?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 PM

I would refer the guy to this thread. He will see what this community thinks.

And for the record: if they don’t be reasonable and agree to let you simply pay for a buffing, if it was me, I’d feel duty bound the respond to those who have asked for the shops name.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Fiddler View Post
Fiddler, I got your response to my PM, but your inbox looks to be full so I couldn't reply.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
Fiddler, I got your response to my PM, but your inbox looks to be full so I couldn't reply.
Instead of clicking "Send a private message (PM) to ..." you can click "Send email to ..." and reach a member that way.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

I haven't read through the entire posts, but I would assume if they have a super high quality camera to scan these instruments, then I would ask for copies of the part of the body in question; before they sent it to you, and after receiving it back. If they can't provide that, then there is no legitimate case (I think) placing the blame on you. Who's to say a worker didn't just bang it after receiving the return and right before snapping the photos?

Credit card company would be your next best thing to dispute the charge.
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 01-18-2019, 01:47 AM

I’ll play devils advocate and just say keep it! Those are sweet guitars.

If you got it from an online retailer then you most likely paid 60 percent of msrp, so even if you sold it you’d only take a small hit.

You’re getting a lot of advice, but I am living vicariously through you owning that guitar!
Old 01-18-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
You should immediately call your cc company and ask for their assistance so you know where they stand. The dealer may have no choice given the minor nature of their claims but to accept your return.

If what you are saying regarding the extent of the so called damage then it seems like the dealer is being unreasonable. There is inherent risk in offering to let someone try the guitar whether that is in the shop or off site. Its entirely reasonable to expect minor play wear that only shows up under magnification, which may have already been present when it was shipped to you. This is the cost of doing business that they should not be trying to pass on to customers in this manner.

I would not be bullied into paying a restocking fee, which could be substainhial, let alone the entire cost of the guitar. That is absurd. If pressed and if it would resolve the matter quickly I might possibly offer a token buffing fee of $50. Anything more than that and I would fight it tooth and nail.
Will likely come down to local state laws of on-line retailer... The attorney's retainer would probably be more than the money lost to just accepted it back, listing it s used and then selling it here or on reverb.com.

If that turns out to be the case it's the value of fighting for principle or choosing to take the least path of resistance and not allowing this company to steel any more of his time.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 01-18-2019, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

When I bought a Martin from Maury's, they were very specific about what not to do in the 14 day evaluation period. They didn't even want me to scratch the plastic on the pick-guard.

I'm surprised that so many of you are ganging up on the seller. They are in business to sell new guitars, not to screw people. So WF sent a guitar back with what he calls ''micro scratches''. What's the seller supposed to do? A guitar with ''micro scratches'' is no longer a new guitar.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:34 AM

My legal opinion (based on years of watching Judge Judy) is that you accept responsibility for anything that happens to the guitar while it is in your possession.

If popular opinion is that the scratches can be buffed out, you could make arrangements to have the work done yourself. If indeed it ends up with a perfect result, the dealer should have no problem taking the guitar back. If the scratches can't be totally repaired, it seems like the old rule of thumb comes into effect - You break it, you bought it.

I know you had the best of intentions, but I can see how the seller might be the least bit suspicious when you order a $5000 guitar and a $250 guitar, then return the "damaged" $5K guitar.

I hope everything resolves to everyone's satisfaction.

Last edited by pszy22; 01-18-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 AM

^^^^
I agree.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

How come you don't want to keep it? Why don't you like it?
Old 01-18-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

The OP still has not shared the photo of the damage so lawyer talk is a bit premature.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 01-18-2019, 07:57 AM

IMO, This is 100% the dealer's problem not buyers.

If they offer a trial period then they run the risk of "minor" signs of play/use. It's no different than a guitar hanging in store.

Not to mention the OP bought 1 of the guitars. So it's not like they returned both. This is BS on the stores part.

If the item is in "the store's possession" and you have proof of delivery? Call CC company and dispute the charge. They'll sort it out in your favor.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
IMO, This is 100% the dealer's problem not buyers.

If they offer a trial period then they run the risk of "minor" signs of play/use. It's no different than a guitar hanging in store.

Not to mention the OP bought 1 of the guitars. So it's not like they returned both. This is BS on the stores part.

If the item is in "the store's possession" and you have proof of delivery? Call CC company and dispute the charge. They'll sort it out in your favor.
Well, we don't know what the damage is. One persons "minor damage" is another person's "serious damage." And for a dealer, any damage is unacceptable.

And the dealer can say he ordered the cheap one, and just added the expensive one to play for a couple of weeks, with no intention of purchasing.

I'm not saying that is what happened, but we do know he kept the cheap guitar and sold it to someone else. I wonder if he sold it for profit?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion