The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Eugenro is correct. A fella at the Martin forum called Martin.

"The "applied dovetail" is just that, the neck is carved via CNC with the body-facing side of the heel being flat. The dovetail, (the little V shaped male piece of the joint), is then applied to the surface of the heel via two wood screws. The neck is then joined to the body just like any other dovetail joint."

So, a new word in the lexicon for all you luthiers that had no idea!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 PM

Gotta say this, I'm sort of surprised and a little perplexed at the response here. I posted this on the Martin forum just yesterday. Bumped it once.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...ail-What-is-it

And the response was, compared to here, crazy good. Yeah, it's a Martin thing, but it's also a "guitar" thing. Where were the luthiers? Is this just a scratch and sniff forum?

I posted this on 4-16, Saturday, and had to bump it a bunch. then bump it again. Then again, and.... again... and then yet again!!

And not once over there was I told that "Google is your friend" or "try emailing Martin"... talk about obvious! Now, don't get me wrong, I like this place, and am a paid member, but sometimes it seems like it's just a place to declare your guitar collection or sell 'em..

Thanks to those of you that were curious, that helped sort it out (Eugenro..).
Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 PM

I thought you got an excellent response early in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Probably a term Martin made up. I'd email their customer support and ask.

My guess would be a dovetail that involves fasteners rather than just the tightness of the joint and glue. (But that's a total guess.)
In the end, you needed somebody to call Martin for you??!!

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I thought you got an excellent response early in the thread.

In the end, you needed somebody to call Martin for you??!!
Yep. Never thought of that tack. I thought they answered their email, and if they didn't answer their email, and not knowing anyone at Martin, why would I call?

But thank YOU for your, um, responses! They were... responses!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Gotta say this, I'm sort of surprised and a little perplexed at the response here... Where were the luthiers?
Just a thought....

Our society is engaged in "a race to the bottom", wherein the consumer more often than not is looking for the cheapest possible price. Robotics and CNC machines can assist in reducing the price to manufacture goods by in large measure reducing the amount of human labor required to manufacture an object. In theory, they can also "free" humans from menial labor, allowing them to do "higher" things.

In contrast to this, we have one-off, custom craftspersons. Rarely do they have as their goal producing goods at the cheapest possible price. Instead, they often aim for the highest possible quality. It's a different philosophy, a different goal, a different approach to work and a different market segment.

It isn't surprising that those engaged in one-off type work don't spend a lot of their time staying abreast of the latest cost-saving measures being used by the large manufacturers in their race to the bottom.

Don't misunderstand me: I have absolutely nothing against the use of CNC machines or robotics. But do understand that you're largely asking a bunch of orange farmers about how to cultivate apples and expecting them to do much beyond wonder why you are asking them, and then shrug their shoulders.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM

well said Charles,

if you have a question for all the professional guys try "custom shop". This section seems to me of more the hobbyist and "up and coming" people.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebolo View Post
well said Charles,

if you have a question for all the professional guys try "custom shop". This section seems to me of more the hobbyist and "up and coming" people.

Wow, I thought "build and repair" was frequented by the luthiers....
Quote:
Guitar building, repair, and setup discussions - acoustic and electric, tips and techniques, CAD/CAM, Laser, alternative materials and advanced technology
odd, sounds like the area, but my bad I suppose.

Thanks you two for responding though!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 PM

I know what the description says, but for the short time I've been here, it seems to me that a lot of the professionals "hang out" in the custom shop. Whenever I have a question regarding construction of a guitar, that is the category I ask it in. I also ask a lot of stuff here in build and repair, but when I want to know what people much older and wiser than I think custom shop is where I ask. I'm not saying the professionals dont read this section, I'm just saying that is the section where I have had a lot of response and help with my problems. Just my two cents...
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Wow, I thought "build and repair" was frequented by the luthiers....
It used to be called the DIY section. I think they renamed it to broaden the scope and attract more "real" builders to this section of the forum, but it's still pretty lonely here.

Join us, won't you? Make something. Or break something and then fix it.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Gentlemen, this thread has 300 views. Only now is it getting responses. Perhaps because some observations I've shared have left others in a protective mode. Truly, it's not a problem, carry on and all that. In custom shop, that seems to me to be where the cork sniffer types go, and that's cool. Again, my bad for thinking many luthiers or woodworkers visit this one, or would be interested in a new term. I'll remember in the future, scout's honor.

Gitnoob, thanks for the invite, but the only thing these hands are interested in making is music, not the box it's played on.

I'm sure there are those that frequent a specific sub-forum, and leave the rest out, but there are also a lot of us that specify "new posts" and those topics that peak our interest, we open, regardless of forum name.

Maybe the topic was so old hat that it provoked nothing but yawns here?

At any rate, no sense whipping the horse any longer! May peace be upon you, and the horse!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 PM

I'm going to beat the horse once again. In suggesting the custom shop, all I was trying to do was help by saying I had questions answered over there. Also, I didnt say that woodworkers and luthiers didnt visit this section. Maybe I'm reading your comments wrong, but I am detecting a slightly sarcastic tone. I have nothing against sarcasm, but I dont think I deserved a snippy response for trying to help...
Old 04-21-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebolo View Post
I'm going to beat the horse once again. In suggesting the custom shop, all I was trying to do was help by saying I had questions answered over there. Also, I didnt say that woodworkers and luthiers didnt visit this section. Maybe I'm reading your comments wrong, but I am detecting a slightly sarcastic tone. I have nothing against sarcasm, but I dont think I deserved a snippy response for trying to help...
I apologize for any perceived slight or breech of manners.

Hey gang, since the horse desires more flogging, and since a few lurkers may be actually interested in the Original Topic, check out the Martin forum's discussion. Pretty interesting stuff, and analyzed to death for you repair geeks.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/118299/Martin-s-New-Applied-Dovetail-What-is-it

Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Gotta say this, I'm sort of surprised and a little perplexed at the response here. I posted this on the Martin forum just yesterday. Bumped it once.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...ail-What-is-it

And the response was, compared to here, crazy good. Yeah, it's a Martin thing, but it's also a "guitar" thing. Where were the luthiers? Is this just a scratch and sniff forum?

I posted this on 4-16, Saturday, and had to bump it a bunch. then bump it again. Then again, and.... again... and then yet again!!

And not once over there was I told that "Google is your friend" or "try emailing Martin"... talk about obvious! Now, don't get me wrong, I like this place, and am a paid member, but sometimes it seems like it's just a place to declare your guitar collection or sell 'em..

Thanks to those of you that were curious, that helped sort it out (Eugenro..).
sachi gave you the answer, I just explained it to you.... so, all the credits to sachi
1990 Yamaha FG412 S
1980? Blueridge BR-OS
2006 Epiphone Ej300S
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I apologize for any perceived slight or breech of manners.
That's hardly an apology.

Neal, please remember that no one on this forum is obligated to help you at all. No one on this forum is obligated to know the answer to your question. Your apparent assumption that you are entitled to an answer is offensive.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachi View Post
That's hardly an apology.

Neal, please remember that no one on this forum is obligated to help you at all. No one on this forum is obligated to know the answer to your question. Your apparent assumption that you are entitled to an answer is offensive.
Well, consider me spanked! We could go on ALL day about perceived slights, from you to me, from me to you. We could talk all day about how I perceived your first answer as offensive, as if I hadn't googled already, or emailed, we can talk all day about how you are offended by some guy on the internet (me) and how you think I assume I am entitled to an answer, and then others, un-involved with the OT, could add their .02 and pile on as well. We could draw comparisons between "frustration" and "offending", and which one was actually at play here. But in the end, it's the internet fella, gotta have big shoulders and not be so fragile. That goes for all of us.

Then I could wonder... what is it about a good fight that draws folks to the subject, and not the original post? There are 90 more views from this morning. I thought folks loved a parade! How wrong I was!

And yes, I was directed to a link by Sachi, and patronized (my take, see "Big Shoulders" above) by his assumption that I had not already used Google, as in: "Google is your friend", and the link was for a members only woodworking place. Even after viewing on quick view, as you need a PASSWORD TO GET IN, not being a woodworker, it wasn't very helpful to me anyway, which is why I thanked you, Eugenro, for explaining it, as you were helpful, he was not. I mean, really.. how many sentences did it take for you to get that explanation out? Less than it took for a few others to write and tell me how I've offended them.

So this is a big ol' nothing, two of you are offended for nothing, and I'd apologize, but I'm really not sure there is any reason.

Moderators? Are we done here? My butt hurts! And all about Nothing! ....hey, that could be an idea for a sitcom.... nah.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair