The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Question Taylor GC to complement 322e 12-fret

I'm looking for opinions on a Taylor grand concert to complement a Taylor 322e 12-fret (Mahogany over Tasmanian blackwood). The 322 is on the warmer side of the spectrum.

To keep this simple, give me your opinion of what you would pair with it and why (not what you think would work with my playing style/budget/etc. - since you don't know what those are ) . Simple enough, right?

Thanks for playing!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:09 AM

I am not going to tell to get this one. Only to try it, consider it. I bought one and it surprises me more and more. The Taylor 312. Yes, it's another 3 series but It really does not take a back seat to the more expensive versions. Spruce/Sapele. 14 fret, short scale. Comfortable to play. Quite loud. Nearly as much range as rosewood. Deep. Great for fingerstyle and a surprisingly good strummer/picker. Simple appointments.

I am sure others will advise going to a 6, 7 or 8 series. That may be what you need. Just don't pass the 312 by without a try.

Yes, I have a bias, but I needed some specific characteristics when I bought mine. I am not a Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Guild guy. I am not locked in to a specific sound. I have one of each of those brands. I enjoy them all for different reasons.

Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by Paddy1951; 02-21-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:22 AM

I ran into the same "dilemma" with my 324ce. Wanted something tonally different, and considered several options. Since I'm a big GA fan, I stuck with that bodystyle...and grabbed a 614ce.

I happen to really like what maple/spruce sounds like, and the two GAs compliment each other (and my short attention span) quite well.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 02-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsarev View Post
I'm looking for opinions on a Taylor grand concert to complement a Taylor 322e 12-fret (Mahogany over Tasmanian blackwood). The 322 is on the warmer side of the spectrum.
As a fellow 322 owner, for me, the other end of that spectrum are my spruce topped mahogany bodied guitars. You get a nice bright sweet tone from spruce/hog that simply isn't present on the 322.

I've owned Tayor 12 frets, and 312, 412 models, all spruce-hog and while they were ok, the 12 fret Larrivee's I have have spoiled me to any other brand. Their OMV model is about the closest to the Taylor GC size and are well reviewed.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:39 AM

I also have a 322... I have also a 512 (1995) and a 412ce (2008)
And I fully agree with jpmist.

Academy model just blew me away a few months ago...

P.S. I do have a Larrivée L-03koa (and OM-09) and long to put my hands on a Larrivée 05 series...
Old 02-21-2019, 09:01 AM

Either a Taylor GC6 or a GC8.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:49 AM

I second the suggestion of the GC8. Very nice 14-fret, spruce/rw alternative to the 12-fret 322, and a great value on the used market.
Best of luck!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawshot1975 View Post
I ran into the same "dilemma" with my 324ce. Wanted something tonally different, and considered several options. Since I'm a big GA fan, I stuck with that bodystyle...and grabbed a 614ce.

I happen to really like what maple/spruce sounds like, and the two GAs compliment each other (and my short attention span) quite well.
+1 on the Maple/ Spruce. I went the Taylor rounds recently playing every solid wood model I could find. The Maple had a great balanced tone between the rosewood/spruce of the 714, and compressed sound of the Mahogany back and sides of the 514 series.
My friend picked up a great 414 Rosewood/spruce that also has a really nice sound.
As with most of my guitars, my first order of business is to yank the elixer strings that come with Taylors and replace them with Santa Cruz parabolic tension strings. I think these strings do a good job of bringing out the sound of the wood vs. the sound of the strings on a guitar.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies! Some really good stuff here.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:31 AM

I own several Taylor GC 12 frets, including a 322e. To me, the 612 12 fret is the perfect complement. I actually custom ordered one with a Cedar top, and it my absolute favorite of the bunch.

Last edited by MikeMcKee; 02-21-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post

I've owned Tayor 12 frets, and 312, 412 models, all spruce-hog and while they were ok, the 12 fret Larrivee's I have have spoiled me to any other brand. Their OMV model is about the closest to the Taylor GC size and are well reviewed.
Your comments are perfectly timed. The US Santa Service just delivered my Larrivee 000 40RE custom. Since there is about a 50 degree difference between the sleigh and my office, all I can do is stare at the box for an hour or so before I crack that bad boy open. That is the definition of maturity - except for the urge to chew off my leg right now.
David
Old 02-21-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Your comments are perfectly timed. The US Santa Service just delivered my Larrivee 000 40RE custom. Since there is about a 50 degree difference between the sleigh and my office, all I can do is stare at the box for an hour or so before I crack that bad boy open. That is the definition of maturity - except for the urge to chew off my leg right now.
David
Almost spewed my afternoon coffee! I've had several Larrivee's and loved them. If I could get a short scale OM, I would jump on it.

Hope your leg survives the wait!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

I've set up 3 of the taylor Academy series(2 of the 12e and 1 of the 10e). each needed just a little nut slot work to achieve excellent first fret action. each needed a very very slight leveling of a fret or two so the action could be slinky low and buzz free. beyond that they all played and sounded awesome.

around 4lbs each, use the high quality nice padded easy to shoulder gigbag, and take it with you anywhere or nowhere. they carry a dryer tone than typical taylor. the shortscale neck feels wonderful. I am a dyed in the wool 1 3/4" nut width player. these have 1 11/16, but I love them. the saddle string spacing is 2 3/16" just like the 3 series on up. to my ears the tone carries a slight Gibson hint. the arm bevel is sweet. tuners work smooth as silk and hold as good as anything I've used. real ebony bridge and fretboard.

the 10 is a 15/16 size dread, but only 4" deep at the endpin. with the reduced width and slightly smaller body, its extremely comfortable when played seated-it does of course carry a touch more depth of bass than the 12(the concert). the concert has that touch of focus in each string. both sizes to my ears has wonderful balance thruout the string set.

around $499 without the pickup, $599 with the ES2 pickup(and it sounds really good). pay attention to the players remarks below the video and he details the timeline when each is acoustic or being played with the pickup.

I like these guitars better than many 5/6/7/8 series that I have played and owned, and would choose either of the 3 I've had in hand over those higher level taylors that I've owned. they just play and sound that good, love the light weight.

both sound much better with removal of the elixirs and stick some Martin or John Pearse on them.

huge, huge bang for the buck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxysZzzCYL4

Old 02-22-2019, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Daryl, Thanks for weighing in. Interesting observations!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

oh, i should have mentioned this. i have a 522 12 fret, so very similar to your 322. i know that smooth sweet chocolate tone you have with the 322. these academy series have the sitka spruce top and bring that to offer a different flavor than what you already have.
i like the taylor 3 series with sapele a lot-i think they age well and tend to develop real good tone when played a lot, but these academys have a different tone than that solid sapele. check out shoreline videos, and music villa. Andy P did a great job on these.

excellent places to buy: sweetwater because you can see a couple different ones-the two 12's(concerts) i picked had nice tops. another excellent vendor is paul at music villa. you can email him and he will find you a nice top. i needed a leftie for one of the gals in our praise worship team and he ordered it and sent pictures-if i didn't like it i didn't have to take it.

if you don't want a pickup order without one, you can always go aftermarket if you want one.

i went thru a phase just recently looking at a bunch of small body guitars in the $3000 range. after a lot of chasing around, digging thru, i finally realized what will supply what i want is one of the 12e academys and i plan to get one soon. excellent with a pick or fingers.
i think they will be rugged also, and it will not hurt if you get a ding or scratch-it will just give them personality.

i cut some pickguards out of tortoloid for the two girls, more to just give them some difference, i'll dig thru my pictures this weekend and post them here for you to see.

these have the NT neck also, so adjustable just like the higher series, the ones i've had all had wood(probably sapele) headstock veneers, whereas it looks like the video above they had the plastic black.

d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion