The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-22-2020, 03:18 PM

Default Why is this so HARD to do?

I'm trying to get to the point where I can actually play and sing a song that I wrote at the same time. Man, this is tough.

In this version, though, I'm at least NOT looking at the lead sheet or the lyrics. So I think I'm making progress.

https://soundcloud.com/user-992023176/cmh-bose-oct22

For comparison, here's a version where somebody else is playing the guitar (and pedal steel), and all I had to do was add the vocals later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIeIk_VPlYA

In the "play and sing at the same time" version (soundcloud), I've gone up a half-step to B, and I've slowed it down quite a bit (estimating 66 bpm vs 72 bpm in the original). I prefer it slower, but others I know think the faster version is better.

This is with my Composite Acoustics GX Performer into my Bose L1 Compact PA. It's crazy that with all the really nice acoustics I have, that this carbon fiber guitar sounds best with my voice (at least I think so).

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-22-2020 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Fixed video
Old 10-23-2020, 06:03 AM

A lot of it has to do with the arrangement and the “feel” you are looking for.
In the version where you are only singing, the performance is more palatable because it suits your vocal attributes. As you slow a ballad down, you are now in the zone where only the likes of the “Chris Stapletons” of the world dare go. In that instance, the vocals have to carry everything. He didn’t figure all that out overnight, trust me.
I like the tempo of the recording where you are singing only the best.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-23-2020, 01:55 PM
AGF Administrator

I agree the YouTube version has a nicer tempo.

As for playing and singing at the same time, I struggled with it when I first started as I was concentrating too much on my guitar playing. Once the playing became second nature the singing became easier, and that came with time and practice.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:23 AM

Well, I think it's getting better:

https://soundcloud.com/user-992023176/cmh-bose-nov8

That's being recorded on an iPhone, from a Bose L1 Compact.

The guitar goes through a Baggs Align Session pedal (saturation and multi-band EQ/compression) into a Baggs Venue DI (which isn't really doing anything at the moment).

The vocal goes through a TC Helicon VoiceCorrect (compression, de-essing, EQ, and pitch correction).

Guitar and vocal then go into a Mackie ProDX8 mixer (where vocals get some reverb and guitar gets some compression, and both get a HP filter to roll off the bass). That output goes to the Bose.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell