The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-16-2020, 03:30 PM

Default EVO8+AT2020, am I ready to start recording?

I have decied to start record vocal(male)+acoustic guitar, and maybe a second vocal(female). Therefore I think the EVO8 (with 4 mic input and 1 DI) would be perfect in my case.

My playing style is fingerstyle/fingerpicking acoustic guitar, typical James Taylor kind of music/singing.

From before I have a good laptop, I have a Shure Beta58A mic, and an acoustic Maton EBG808TE-guitar with excellent pickup/preamp. I would like to record my guitar using the sound from the pickup connected to DI, mixed with the sound from a condenser mic (Im thinking of buying the AT2020v).
The vocal(femal/male) would be recorded with the Beta58A.

Am I then ready to start recording? Or do I need some more for my "budget recording studio"? is there something ive forgotten? :-) This is what Im thinking of buying:
- AT2020v (or should I choose the more expensice Shure SM7B..?) :-)
- EVO 8
+ some extra equipment needed (is it enough?)

Last edited by farantouri; 10-16-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:06 PM

Oh btw.. I forgot monitor and headphones.

And one last "silly" question.. can studio monitor(speakers) be used with this setup above in a small concert/small room with 20-30 persons? using the studio montoris instead of PC-speakers..

Last edited by farantouri; 10-17-2020 at 03:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:39 AM

Shopping basket for now:
https://i.ibb.co/Wscs5Mh/Skjermbilde.png

Old 10-17-2020, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Might want to remember to post the Brand. I had to goggle what a EVO8 was

That system appears that if would definitely get you started .

Depending on the room you will be recording in you may want to at some point consider acoustical room treatment. i.e. Actual broad band panel absorbers, not cheap eggshell foam

Also what are the actual dimensions of concert/small room ?
Because as far as using small near field design monitors for a PA could be doable (if likely marginal) depending on the actual size of the room

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-17-2020, 08:51 AM

You'll gain a lot by going up to the Eris E5 powered monitors.

The rest of your kit seems good, although I wouldn't personally use a dynamic mic for vocal recording. Live sound, yes, but a LDC would provide better results if you are going after all the timbre that is present in a vocal.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:26 AM

Thanks, theese are excactly the answers I was looking for!
I agree about the dynamic mic. Then I think I will buy another LDC-mic instead, and use that for recording both vocal and guitar.
What I liked about the Eris 3.5 is that it got bluetooh
There are very few bluetooth monitors out there (really not sure why..), and Eris 3.5BT or 4.5BT seem good. But would Eris E5 work better and be more powerfull together with my EVO8 preamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You'll gain a lot by going up to the Eris E5 powered monitors.

The rest of your kit seems good, although I wouldn't personally use a dynamic mic for vocal recording. Live sound, yes, but a LDC would provide better results if you are going after all the timbre that is present in a vocal.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:29 AM

Thanks for your answer! I will have a look into absorbers etc.
I was thinking of a small room, like playing for 20-50 ppl.. in a small dining room.. When playing for 50-100 ppl I will borrow a PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Might want to remember to post the Brand. I had to goggle what a EVO8 was

That system appears that if would definitely get you started .

Depending on the room you will be recording in you may want to at some point consider acoustical room treatment. i.e. Actual broad band panel absorbers, not cheap eggshell foam

Also what are the actual dimensions of concert/small room ?
Because as far as using small near field design monitors for a PA could be doable (if likely marginal) depending on the actual size of the room
Old 10-17-2020, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

While I agree LDCs are generally preferable to dynamic mics for quasi-studio recording, I am not sure I'd be in a rush to double up on the AT2020 without first doing an A/B of the Beta58a and AT on the vocalist in your chosen space.

Microphones can make a big difference or not so much, depending on what they're used with and the recording space. Maybe the AT2020 will be better on the female voice and the Beta just fine on a male voice, and you can use or save the money for something else.

I'd say "marginally" is about the limit of small near-field monitors when used as a PA. Maybe they could augment the sound some, but I'd be concerned about directionality, as well as low frequency capability in a larger space.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:10 PM

I will record mostly some fingerpicking/fingerstyle sound with my acoustic guitar. Instrumental music style, like Tommy Emmanuel. And singer/songwriter style music, like James Taylor.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:12 PM

Im now thinking of adding the Aston Origin mic, as a second mic, combined with the AT2020.
But one question, would theese mic work just fine on the EVO800? or are there certain mics that would work/sound better than others on the EVO-preamp..?
Old 10-17-2020, 07:46 PM

I have the Eris E5s, and I would not use them live. They are near-field monitors; they're not designed to project to a room full of people. Your studio setup really wouldn't be a good one for live use.

And latency is why there aren't many bluetooth monitors. Bluetooth can introduce delay between your source and the speakers, which is a bit problem for tracking. Mixing could be okay, since everything is coming from the same source, But if there is a delay between what you play/sing and what you hear, you will have issues trying to to multiple tracks.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:01 AM

I was thinking of bluetooth for something "fun to have", not for recording or playback purpose.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:10 AM

This week I made an order on Thomann where I also included the EAE D6-8 B-stock. I also asked them, among other things, some questions about the price difference between the D6-8 B-stock vs new product (see posts above).

Before finally confirming the order I told them to remove one product from the order (because it was out of stock). Instead of removing that one item, they deleted/cancelled the whole order. I then contacted them about that, and they aplogized the mistake and told me to make a new order.
Anyway.. when I then made a new order, the EAE D6-8 B-stock had suddenly increased 150$ in price. They also do not answer my emails anymore (three days have gone, without answers).

Edit: I just go a reply from Thomann now. They told me they would amend the price accordingly after I take the order online again.

Last edited by farantouri; 11-05-2020 at 11:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD