The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2020, 03:50 AM
Charter Member

Default k&k mini removed

anybody removed a k&k mini to put something else in and how did it work out? my luthier says he can do it, just a little tedious scraping of the glue etc. i want to replace it with a baggs anthem in a D-18.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:31 AM

I did it many times switching from K&K to soundboard transducer I liked better (Dazzo, Schatten, UltraTonic). I use adhesive remover, wait a minute or two, then removing is easy. Clean the bridgeplate and maybe sand it a bit - ready to go. Did it again last week on my Weissenborn lap slide - worked fine.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 09-11-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I recently purchased a used Goodall Concert Jumbo that had a K&K installed in it previously... the tech (from the owner) who "removed" the K&K said it was all complete and ready to go.

I was excited to install a set of Dazzo pickups in it (having had really good luck with using a FRAP, back in the 70's)... Vancebo, a member here, offered to do the install.

When we got into it, that old K&K had NOT been removed cleanly, not at all. One of the discs was still on the bridgeplate, and the "shells" of the other two were still stuck on there, as well! Took a bunch of prying, scraping and sanding to get that superglue off, even using adhesive remover. Turns out that the superglue 'seeps" into the bridgeplate and would be VERY difficult and time-consuming to get the stains out.

The installation of the Dazzos went fine, despite a bit of staining from the superglue. Vance did a great job and I'm thrilled with the resulting sound! An interesting thing to note is that Teddy Randazzo (the inventor of Dazzo) came through town and decided he could get a "better' sound than what Vance had achieved, so he "popped' the Dazzos off and re-installed them. I don't think the sound was different, much if at all, but the interesting thing is that the Dazzos came off easily and re-installed without issue. I don't think the K&K Mini's can be taken off without damaging the pickups...

By the way, I had the Anthem SL pickups in two guitars for nearly a decade. I've posted many times about the impact on the unplugged. acoustic sound that the Anthem had on my two guitars... summarizing, I would think VERY carefully and thoroughly about putting an Anthem into your D-18 IF you like the way the guitar sounds unplugged! There are a lot of other low-impact choices for pickups nowadays from which to choose. I can heartily recommend the Dazzos, although finding a tech who's experienced in the install can be difficult.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-11-2020, 01:47 PM

I've had three removed and they all broke into pieces. The super glue was a chore to remove.

Other than that it went fine and the new pickups are superior in every way except sheer volume.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-11-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

It was a happy day when my K&Ks were removed and replaced with Dazzos. I live near Teddy, so no issues or worries at all.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-11-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I removed K&K from my carbon fiber Emerald X20. Scraped super glue remnants with single edge razor blade..also lightly sanded area. Installed HFN Schatten with putty. Much better - still not good enough. Hooked up through Tonedexter...finally got the sound I was looking for.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:07 AM

Removed the K&K mini and replaced it with LR Baggs Lyric - night and day difference.
The K&K didn't survive this but not damage to the undersaddle plate, the bits of glue were then sanded off.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

well i stuck a baggs equalizer in the chain and it works well to tame the muddiness and over the top bass in the 2 martins i own. d-18 and 0m28. chain is guitar-redeye-bodyrez-tuner-baggs align equalizer-aer60/3-to qsc 10. seems to work so gonna leave the k&ks in for now. also play a taylor 714ce and i just bypass the equalizer with it. taylor doesn't need it.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
well i stuck a baggs equalizer in the chain and it works well to tame the muddiness and over the top bass in the 2 martins i own. d-18 and 0m28. chain is guitar-redeye-bodyrez-tuner-baggs align equalizer-aer60/3-to qsc 10. seems to work so gonna leave the k&ks in for now. also play a taylor 714ce and i just bypass the equalizer with it. taylor doesn't need it.
I think you could greatly simplify this with a single ToneDexter pedal.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-15-2020, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

probably could. just need 400 bucks. don't think tonedexter was around back when i started this quest.

Last edited by bobbyg67; 09-15-2020 at 07:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification