The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-08-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Fishman Aura Spectrum DI??

My duo partner has one, and I am thinking about one for when we're playing gigs where we don't necessarily need our acoustic amps, etc. and can perform more stripped down.

Likes?
Dislikes??

Other feedback??? (pun intended!!)

Thanks in advance........

Jim
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 09-08-2020, 01:39 PM

I had one - liked what it did. I just felt when I dialed in enough that it sounded like a true mic’d acoustic it just didn’t felt like it has lost something and didn’t feel right to me. Like it lacked character maybe?

I used it with a pretty awful pickup (Sonitone) so it needed a higher level of blend. If I used it with my K&K equipped guitar it was fine I only needed a small amount of the blend.

I’ve since pulled the sonitone from my guitar and upgraded the pickup so I sold the Aura as no use for it.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 09-09-2020, 02:41 AM

I have one love it. Solid and sturdy, improves the sound. Even without the imaging it is good working preamp with some eq and a compressor and feedback control. Everyone will tell you the tuner isn't great but I can live with that and it acts as a mute which is handy.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

I've got one and it's a great device but like my ToneDexter, another great device, it sits in its box unused.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-09-2020, 04:57 AM

The Aura Spectrum is great if you have the ‘standard type’ guitars like a J45 or D28 in the Aura Image Gallery. Your list of guitars have none, that I know of.

You would be better with a Tonedexter making custom sounds for your guitars....sensational, really.

My old Spectrum is lying on its side near the roller blades behind the shed!

BluesKing777.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
The Aura Spectrum is great if you have the ‘standard type’ guitars like a J45 or D28 in the Aura Image Gallery. Your list of guitars have none, that I know of.

You would be better with a Tonedexter making custom sounds for your guitars....sensational, really.

My old Spectrum is lying on its side near the roller blades behind the shed!

BluesKing777.
I don't find that to be honest. The Aura images work with a variety of guitars. I generally find that images of guitars that are nothing like mine, sound best. When I try to do a match, it never works well.

I think the problem with Aura is that it's just not the newest/flashiest thing right now. I too went a year without using it but finally dug it out and it still soounds awesome.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:46 AM

I have an Aura Spectrum that I usually put through a Zoom MS-70CDR effects box when I do use it. I find I don't use it much though, as when do get it out and setup, I find myself going through different the images to find that 'perfect' sound more than I am actually playing the guitar. I have found some decent sounding images for when I'm too lazy to setup to mic a guitar and I direct record.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I had one - liked what it did. I just felt when I dialed in enough that it sounded like a true mic’d acoustic it just didn’t felt like it has lost something and didn’t feel right to me. Like it lacked character maybe?

I used it with a pretty awful pickup (Sonitone) so it needed a higher level of blend. If I used it with my K&K equipped guitar it was fine I only needed a small amount of the blend.

I’ve since pulled the sonitone from my guitar and upgraded the pickup so I sold the Aura as no use for it.
Sorry for the hijack but what pickup did you put in its place?
Old 09-09-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I liked mine and used it with different guitars that all had K & K minis in them. I was able to walk on stage plug into a mic cable and let the sound guy do his thing. It worked great. I'm not performing anymore with guitar pick ups so if you want to buy one message me.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Its a good product that does what it claims. As mentioned in other threads, I dont conform to the stated images. I spin the dials until I find something that works, and I always do.

Having said that, I also got a tone dexter, which this gadget guy finds endlessly fun and challenging. Images (that you create with dexter, as opposed to aura) are truly complex and fun. Mic placement, type and distance are important, and taught me SO much. It really changed and enhanced how I used my aura, as well.

I like both, but probably give the edge to the dexter because of the flexibility of creating your own images. If you can afford, both would be the best option! There are times when the ease of the aura is preferable.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:59 PM

I've got both the Aura Spectrum and a Tonedexter.

You can get a good sound out of the Fishman, but you will probably have to spend a long time finding an image that sounds good. The vast majority will sound lousy or really weird. But you can probably find a good one.

The Tonedexter is superior in every way. Maybe it makes sense if you can find a used Fishman really cheap, but buying new, the Tonedexter is only $20 more. Much more than worth it.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:12 PM

I had one and it sounded fine with piezo guitars, but didn't do alot for Taylor es2 guitars. The Fishman Platinum Pro eq works better for Taylor guitars.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:12 AM

sent you a pm. would you want to sell me yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I've got one and it's a great device but like my ToneDexter, another great device, it sits in its box unused.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:14 AM

sent you a pm. I'm looking to pick up a used Aura pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I'm not performing anymore with guitar pick ups so if you want to buy one message me.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:16 AM

What do you guys think would be a more effective way to improve the sound of my Martin GPC15 with a Matrix VT Enhanced pickup? My live sound is very brittle and tinny to my ears. Too bright and not full sounding. Aura or EQ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification